Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Interaction Testing...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged

File: A Gallery of Tests.hold (2.6 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Creative Commons
AttributionNoncommercialShare Alike 3.0
icon Interaction Testing... (+1)  
I haven't really done much with this yet, just an outline.
The idea is to have a bunch of "integration tests" for various drod elements. So if something changes in the code, one can run through this hold (or seemingly relevant parts of it) and make sure things still "work as expected".
It is intended to not really be uploaded to CaravelNet - just imported into the data files after newly making a drod.exe

At this stage, this is a call for ideas, though any contributions of actual hold work are welcome.
Since the default drod datafiles do not include any styles but City, no additional styles are going to be used in this hold.

It is not intended as a test for the player, or a tutorial, but a test of the game itself. Rooms should solve trivially (unless the test requires the room to be insoluble, in which case the player still has to be able to get back to the test-picker area).
Eventually, there's the thought that there might be "bug centric" rooms - re-creations of bugs with expected behavior documented. Then one can confirm the bug has disappeared with a later codebase.

---- version history ----
20070520 1515 PT: vastly improved the roach room to highlight vertical v horizontal preference
20070520 0330 PT: added simple serpent test
20070520 0305 PT: moved roach tests to 'simple monster tests' level
20070520 0245 PT: initial version

[Last edited by silver at 05-20-2007 11:18 PM]
05-20-2007 at 10:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged
icon Re: Interaction Testing... (0)  
This is a great idea. To take it one step further, if this hold idea is to be fully realized, there should be a set of demos included with each test that perhaps the spider could check. Does Caravel use any testing holds such as this?

05-20-2007 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Interaction Testing...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com