Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : 'Game Info' page
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Re: 'Game Info' page (0)  
Right... more rewriting. I can't help think that we've opened a can of worms here.

I'm afraid, due to university commitments, that the earliest I'll be able to get anything of note done on the site is at the end of the week. A consolation is that you get your Eighth article then, as well as new buttons. I might be able to work the pictures back in, as well - I think I've worked out a way to do it easily in CityDesk.

I could just hack at the HTML, but that's no fun!

I'll be back then - I have a lot of work to do, and not much time in which to do it...

Matt

10-28-2003 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Mattcrampy wrote:
And the pictures (torn straight from DROD) will most likely be replaced by something smaller and hand-drawn, as I didn't really like them from the start. That is, if I can find a GIF animator.
You're using GIMP, right ? You can create GIF animations with GIMP if the GIF format is enabled (though the interface is a bit odd):

1. Create a new layer for each frame, first ones at the bottom.
2. Use the optimize animation filter (Filters->Animation->Optimize animation or somesuch).
3. Edit the frame delays that appeared in the name of each layer.
4. Test by using the animation play "filter". If you want to edit frames, unoptimize, edit and repeat steps 2-3.
5. Save as a gif, choose export animation. Voila, optimized gif animation.

- Gerry

10-28-2003 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Mattcrampy wrote:
And the pictures (torn straight from DROD) will most likely be replaced by something smaller and hand-drawn, as I didn't really like them from the start. That is, if I can find a GIF animator.
Which pictures are you referring to and why do you want to animate them?

10-28-2003 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
The pictures I'm refering to are the blown-up sprites on the Monsters hub page.

trick wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
You're using GIMP, right ? You can create GIF animations with GIMP if the GIF format is enabled (though the interface is a bit odd):

Therein lies the problem - GIMP will only read GIFs, not save them. Complains about licensing issues.

Matt

10-29-2003 at 02:07 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Mattcrampy wrote:
Therein lies the problem - GIMP will only read GIFs, not save them. Complains about licensing issues.
Oh-kay. Well, if you live in the US, the licensing issues are gone (patent expired), but otherwise, you'll have to pay or break the law, i guess. The joy of software patents.

In any case, you can either recompile GIMP with GIF support, or use gifsicle (which also claims to possibly avoid the patent issue). Gifsicle animates and optimizes, but it only accepts gif files as input, so you'll still need to be able to save your frames in gif format somehow.

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 10-29-2003 at 10:40 AM GMT: words]
10-29-2003 at 10:38 AM
Mattcrampy
Hmm - I'll see what I can find, because I'm going to need to get the GIMP source code. I've got a pre-compiled version for Windows (which incidently looks nothing like a Windows program).

I don't live in the US, though, so I'm going to have to conduct a daring raid on the pacific seaboard to download a GIF-and-some-other-format editor. Anyone that wants to apply should understand that you'll be probably breaking boating laws (unless you have a license), defying the coast guard, and probably breaching international licensing issues. You'll also need some money for the Coke machine.

I was wondering why there were free GIF editors floating about...

Matt

10-30-2003 at 04:45 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
Hmm...I'm wondering whether IrfanView can do this. Try it out.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-02-2003 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
Mattcrampy wrote:
GIMP will only read GIFs, not save them. Complains about licensing issues.

The gimp homepage says to unzip this and put the gif.exe in your plugins folder.

But of course, you shouldn't click on that if you don't live in the US or have a license ;)

[Edited by bdcribbs on 11-07-2003 at 10:57 PM GMT: typo]
11-07-2003 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Hey Matt: Welcome to the U.S. Feel free to install the package and get this done and over with.

So I accidentally forgot about this thread for a month, anything still need creativity?

11-27-2003 at 06:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
You know, after the first three levels (in the demo) I really wanted to get the full version. Well, I think I probably wouldn't have if there weren't all these little tidbits urging me along.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-28-2003 at 06:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I actually got the game because my house-mate was playing it, and it looked cool. Best ten seconds of download I ever spent :D

11-28-2003 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Yes, but I got the demo before Caravel was out, and Webfoot was listed as sixty dollars to order.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-29-2003 at 05:14 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : 'Game Info' page
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com