Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Guard vs. guard on oremites
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
BoyBlue
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 547
IP: Logged
icon Guard vs. guard on oremites (0)  
Guards normally avoid smiting other guards, but they'll readily smite a swordless guard that's standing on oremites (next to tile without oremites). This applies to slayers as well. This is very possibly by design, but I want to make sure.
05-08-2007 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Guard vs. guard on oremites (+1)  
It's not by design: it's a bug. Guards assume (with some logic behind it) that if their sword is going to be over Oremites, that their sword will be put away and it doesn't matter what else will be there.

However, Oremites don't care about swords: they only care when a sword-carrying character is standing on them, not when the sword itself is over them.

Guards or Slayers will readily strike bombs by accident if it happens to be over Oremites but their weapon is not put away. Stalwarts will readily stab Beethro in the same instance.

===

To fix this bug, either swords will need to be sheathed whenever they're over Oremites (and not only when the character is on the Oremites), or Guards/Slayers/etc need to take into account whether they're the ones standing on Oremites, not their weapon. The former change would probably break more rooms than the latter, so....

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 06-12-2007 12:38 PM : Added note on Stalwarts, since this makes them more traitorous than normal...]
06-12-2007 at 12:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5066
icon Re: Guard vs. guard on oremites (0)  
TFMurphy wrote:
It's not by design: it's a bug. Guards assume (with some logic behind it) that if their sword is going to be over Oremites, that their sword will be put away and it doesn't matter what else will be there.

However, Oremites don't care about swords: they only care when a sword-carrying character is standing on them, not when the sword itself is over them.
Ooh, heh, heh. You're looking at legacy code from when we were experimenting with having swords put away when over goo during early development, but that felt much weirder then the current way. I've removed that and it should be fixed in 3.0.2.rev3.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-26-2007 06:35 AM]
06-26-2007 at 06:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Guard vs. guard on oremites
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com