Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Aaaaaargh
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
pyabo
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Aaaaaargh (0)  
I was enjoying this game very much until Level 8.

Click here to view the secret text

10-21-2003 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Aaaaaargh (0)  
That's one good way to not have to worry about getting stuck in level 9.

10-21-2003 at 01:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Greggae
Despite all the horror stories, I found level 9 fairly easy (about on par with level 4 or 7) and I beat it without any help. Trust me, you'll be glad you beat level 8... If you ever can.
10-21-2003 at 09:32 PM
pyabo
OK, I have managed to finish all rooms I can get to now...! However, I can't figure out how to get through the doors in the upper right in room 3S3E. What the heck? It seems like the tar will always be blocking one orb or the other. Please tell me I'm not going to have to restart this room, because I've solved at least 7 rooms after doing this one, including the three-mother room. If I have to restore I'm definitely uninstalling instead. :(

10-22-2003 at 01:30 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Nay! There is no need to uninstall. A question you may need to ask yourself about this room is how to get the tar to not block one way or the other.

Click here to view the secret text

Also, when you move north, be sure to beat that room thoroughly. If you don't, you'll NEED to restore back to it, if you leave the room you're in now after beating current room, before beating north room.

10-22-2003 at 02:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
What zex said may be a bit confusing...to put it more simply, after beating the room and removing the green door, do not leave the room to the West without first beating the room to the North.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-22-2003 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
pyabo
Well, it definitely requires a restore. Bugger.
10-24-2003 at 12:19 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
pyabo wrote:
Well, it definitely requires a restore. Bugger.
It is really annoying. If it's not too late, I'd be happy to volunteer, if you want someone to play through the level, completing all the rooms you had already finished back to this point (I've played level 8 through a few times now, so it's something of a cakewalk for me)

In your DROD\\DATA folder you'll find 3 .dat files. If you want to, you could zip these up and email them to my address -

stuart at knapton dot clara dot co dot uk

I remember being quite disheartened when I made the same mistake, back when I played the old Webfoot version of DROD. I didn't uninstall it (I'm a packrat,) but I did leave it for a few weeks before coming back.
10-24-2003 at 04:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
pyabo
Thanks for the offer, but I got it covered... I couldn't bring myself to uninstall. Almost done replaying all the other levels. Just the 3-mother room to go now. It was much easier the second time around.

10-24-2003 at 09:03 PM
Synneth Relmn
i'm in the same spot, can't go on any further because i beat that room then left before i could enter another room. does this mean i'll have to replay the WHOLE **** GAME over again?(i'm using webfoot drod). if so, could somebody tell me if there are any MORE situautions like this later in the game?
11-15-2003 at 12:24 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I haven't ever seen webfoot drod so I don't know what restore functions it has. I would strongly recommend that you install caravel drod. It has all the features of webfoot and more.

I have also heard that some versions of webfoot have levels that are impossible to solve. These problems do not exist in the caravel version.
11-15-2003 at 12:39 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
If you've only been using one save slot in Webfoot, then you're screwed. As Scott suggested, if you aren't too mad at the game download the Caravel version (go to the main DROD web page, www.drod.net, to get it) and start over again, it shouldn't take you too long to get back where you were. You may be a third of the way through the game in terms of levels, but in terms of difficulty you're perhaps one sixth of the way. Relatively speaking the time spent replaying those levels isn't much compared to what you have in front of you.

And yes, in the Webfoot version level 13 is impossible, you have to warp past it. I think there is at least one more location where this can happen. All in all, it makes the most sense to get the Caravel version to keep playing.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-15-2003 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Oneiromancer wrote:
And yes, in the Webfoot version level 13 is impossible, you have to warp past it. I think there is at least one more location where this can happen. All in all, it makes the most sense to get the Caravel version to keep playing.

Game on,

Actually, there are several versions of Webfoot - the last one released had a solvable level 13; I completed the game without any hitches in that version.

In any case, though, there is absolutely no reason to play webfoot DROD these days - Caravel is superior in every relevant way.

11-15-2003 at 01:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
If anyone should, for whatever reason, be playing an early Webfoot with the corrupted level 13, I have the patch to upgrade to v1.1 which I could pass on.

edit: cancel that. I just realised the patch is for the registered version.

[Edited by bandit1200 on 11-15-2003 at 08:53 AM GMT]
11-15-2003 at 07:06 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Webfoot had a fair few broken areas, and one room is considered a secret bonus room due to a level editor bug that swallowed it up. Those who finish in 1.6 will be able to play it in the editor. It's on level 14.

But yes, switch to Caravel before you get too much further.

Can someone please tell me where they're getting Webfoot from?

Matt

11-16-2003 at 07:27 PM
eytanz
I figured I'll try to locate webfoot DROD myself, so I searched for "DROD Download" on yahoo and google - I found many links, and didn't try them all, but this one stands out:

http://www.downloadsuperstore.com/D.R.O.D..htm

Since it not only carries Webfoot DROD, but it charges $29.95 for it.

Though I don't think that that's where most people are getting it from, for obvious reasons...

p.s. I love their description of the game:

Help Bethro collect enough money money to retire from dungeon extermination. While all the time battle Roaches, Wraithwings, and many other adversaries. 25 levels of action and adventure.

11-16-2003 at 07:35 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I've already found a couple, and I'm shooting off contacts as we speak. I see it as my job, nay, my duty to stop these people torturing themselves without at least having some checkpoints to ease the pain.

Edit: This is going to take a long time.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 11-16-2003 at 07:49 PM GMT]

11-16-2003 at 07:44 PM
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
Mattcrampy wrote:

Can someone please tell me where they're getting Webfoot from?

Matt

I got a registered version of Webfoot off a CD with a collection of mind games called "Denkspiele", that I got for Christmas last year, so apparently it is still being actively distributed. (Although I doubt the CD cost $30.)

leroy

11-17-2003 at 12:08 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Can you do that? I mean, can you take an abandonware game and start selling it for money?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-18-2003 at 05:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
If you're talking about the link I posted, they claim to be an "authorized distributer" or something like that - if they're not just outright liars, they might have bought the right to sell webfoot games a long time ago and just never stopped. Of course, there's no real reason to believe they're not outright liars, except for the size of the site.

11-18-2003 at 06:58 AM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
eytanz wrote:
If you're talking about the link I posted, they claim to be an "authorized distributer" or something like that - if they're not just outright liars, they might have bought the right to sell webfoot games a long time ago and just never stopped. Of course, there's no real reason to believe they're not outright liars, except for the size of the site.

I'd guess that any site claiming to be "authorized download site for most software manufacturers" is outrightly lying. That's just way too vague to really mean anything.

One other thing I noticed: if you start from their index of titles, you'll find DROD in the Games: Action category. Just goes to show that they don't even have a clue what they're selling. :eyes

11-18-2003 at 08:46 PM
Watcher
I just tried the same search as Eytan did, and I found something rather interesting:

The link Eytan posted goes to "downloadsuperstore.com", which links a lot to "digitalriver.com". On the first page of search results, there were two other sites that charged money for DROD. (Both of them charged about 18 British pound sterling.) The first one was "downloaddirect.co.uk". It claims to be an offspring of "smart4software.com", which was the second site. And "smart4software.com" links back to "digitalriver.com"! Something fishy's going on here.

Not to mention that the descriptions of the game are identical in all three places...

11-18-2003 at 09:03 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Watcher wrote:
Something fishy's going on here.
Yep. It doesn't stop there, though. I did the search as well just now, and it seems the top link is pretty fishy as well. It points to a site claiming to offer free downloads of both Caravel DROD (top 3 google links) and Webfoot DROD (3 lower google links). The site says both of these are abandonware. If you click the link to get your "free" download, though, you find out you have to subscribe to be able to download it! ($3 for one day, $5 for 30 days) ...

This fee apparently covers downloads of all games on their site, so what they earn from DROD is probably not very much (if anything), but still, they are taking money from people to download: 1. A commercial game they have no rights to, and 2. A free, open source game. :evilmad:

[Edited by trick on 11-18-2003 at 10:30 PM GMT: 3!]
11-18-2003 at 10:18 PM
Watcher
Trick, I took a look at those sites, and actually, I think what they're doing is quite acceptable. They're not charging any money for the games themselves, but for the load on their server. It is, as far as I know, quite common to charge people for the costs you have in distributing something, even if the thing itself is free. As for there being 3 links, it seems that the site exists in two versions for two different languages, and has a separate "Old Games" subsite. So I don't think they're that bad. Heck, they even recommend checking SourceForge for updates. Kinda shows that they're not trying to make money off this...

However, I still think Erik or some other high-ranking person here should email them and ask them to remove Webfoot DROD, instead redirecting users to Caravel DROD, and to add a link to drod.net, since it's the best place to look for updates.

11-18-2003 at 11:11 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Yeah, maybe... The way I saw it, they're distributing Caravel DROD without telling anyone there's a way to get a newer, better version for free. I don't really have a problem with them taking money to cover their bandwidth costs, but people should be aware that they don't have to download (an older version of) the game from them. I didn't see they recommend checking SourceForge.

11-19-2003 at 12:01 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I got my Webfoot DROD from the-underdogs.org a couple years ago, and the version I got was 1.5 registered. Now if you click on the same link it says "Go check out Caravel DROD, it's better" or something like that.

I do have serious ethical problems though with people charging money for someone else's work without their say-so. I think this is definitely something to look in to, as there might be a lot of ...ahem... design capital in it for Erik and the gang.

11-20-2003 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Aaaaaargh
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com