Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
Page 1 of 11
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
IP: Logged

File: DRODTCBPatch3_1_build54.exe (1.1 MB)
Downloaded 284 times.
License: Public Domain
icon 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (+3)  
Thanks to everyone who reported a bug or issue with TCB since release. Several individuals and small countries have helped address almost everything reported as needing fixing and we now have a release candidate for 3.1 ready. Before we release 3.1 on the Caravel Games website, I'm going to post the 3.1 RC patches here to give people some time to confirm all the issues listed below have been fixed, and that no new bugs have been introduced.

Downloading this patch gets you the 3.1 game fixes, improvements and additions before it is posted on Caravel's Download page. Still, I recommend backing up your DROD directory before applying this patch because it *might* have some serious issues that can mess up your data. If something breaks, you will still have your old, working version around to go back to. This patch seems to be stable, but it includes many substantial changes over 3.0, so back up your DROD:TCB installation now and you won't regret anything later.

[Edit: everything seems to be working, so I'm marking build 54 as the official release build of 3.1. Go at it!]

Here are the improvements and additions(+), changes(!), and fixes (*) implemented for 3.1:

3.1.0.54:
Click here to view the secret text

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-07-2008 06:16 PM]
04-25-2007 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (0)  
I'm running Linux, so I can't comment on the patch, but how come the spacebar in the editor is only on the demo?
04-25-2007 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
coppro wrote:
I'm running Linux, so I can't comment on the patch, but how come the spacebar in the editor is only on the demo?
No, that means 3.0.1 was only available for the demo version. 3.0.2, of course, includes all the fixes that 3.0.1 has.

04-25-2007 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
mrimer wrote:
* Now setting player role to brain or water skipper is ignored by the game engine (fixes crash).
Should this be "brain or water skipper nest"? [yes, fixed -- mrimer]

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-26-2007 12:50 AM]
04-26-2007 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
I trried it and unfortuantely, it ended up deleting all the holds except The City Beneath.

So for me, it seems to be unstable.

And something really odd: It even delted my player name. So there's noone listed when I hit "Change Player".

No worries though, it's backed up.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 04-26-2007 01:05 AM]
04-26-2007 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
bomber50 wrote:
I trried it and unfortuantely, it ended up deleting all the holds except The City Beneath.

And something really odd: It even delted my player name. So there's noone listed when I hit "Change Player".

Yikes! Are you able to provide your original player.dat file for me to try reproducing this?

04-26-2007 at 01:11 AM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
mrimer wrote:
bomber50 wrote:

Yikes! Are you able to provide your original player.dat file for me to try reproducing this?

How would I do that?

And just so you know, I restored back and I am perfectly fine now. :)
04-26-2007 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
bomber50 wrote:
mrimer wrote:
bomber50 wrote:

How would I do that?
You may attach it on the forum (zipped) if it's small enough, or email it to the CaravelGames bug reporting email address.
And just so you know, I restored back and I am perfectly fine now. :)
Good. I want to make sure this is fixed, though, and I don't know what would cause this.

04-26-2007 at 01:32 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
Another change that should be listed: variable values in speech now show up in the chat history as their values, not as $var_name$. (And thanks for fixing that!) [Added - mrimer]

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-26-2007 02:21 AM]
04-26-2007 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BoyBlue
Rank Points: 547
After making a backup copy, I installed the patch and ran TCB. It showed a "please wait" message (referring to splitting up player.dat) for a few seconds, then the screen turned white except for the window title, and it appeared to be hung. I waited 5 minutes or so, then gave up and killed it. I ran TCB again to see what would happen, and it started up immediately, but my player name was blank, and there were no holds except TCB.

Later, I deleted the corrupted copy and tried again. This time I was more patient, and after maybe 10-15 minutes of the white screen, it created the new .dat files, started the game, and everything appears fine.

So anyway, it seems to work, but if this is the normal behavior, I have to say that it could be friendlier, and maybe less risky.

04-26-2007 at 02:25 AM
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
My experience was very similar to BoyBlue, but in my case I waited half an hour before deciding I needed my computer back and killing the program. I guess I'll leave the computer to try it again while I'm at work tomorrow. There should definitely be a warning about how long it will take, especially since the data files are apparently corrupted if it's interrupted.
04-26-2007 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
may I humbly suggest a code change to have it not alter player.dat until after all 4 of the new files are written?

04-26-2007 at 04:54 AM
mrimer
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (+1)  
silver wrote:
may I humbly suggest a code change to have it not alter player.dat until after all 4 of the new files are written?
That's the way it works now. But there are some other implementation details that could be improved. I'll work on that.

To help me out, would someone provide me a link to your 3.0.0 player.dat? Preferably one that's taking a long time to upgrade. Please PM me if you can do this.

04-26-2007 at 04:57 AM
jmpava
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Well, I'm very glad I saw BoyBlue's post BEFORE trying this, so I knew what to expect.

As soon as I launched DROD after applying the patch, it started ghosting and my computer became very quickly (within 10 seconds) slow and unresponsive. This was at 8:01pm (i know because the clock didn't update again until 8:06). At 8:06 I was able to get enough response from the computer to open task manager - or, at least, to tell the computer to open task manager. Task manager itself did not show up until a minute before the next time to clock changed again, at 8:21pm! At that point, things got a little better (I was actually able to click on windows and have them respond) and I learned that the issue was not that DROD was pegging the CPU, instead it was using up ALL my memory. It had a peak memory usage listed around 550MB and a VM share of 1.4 GB (!) - and this on a 2gb laptop, no wonder it was unresponsive! At this point, I continued to watch it and the active memory would fluctuate between 10-100 MB at various times without anything 'appearing' to happen (that is, no files were updated in the data directory since the start time of 8:01pm - of course, that's probably because it's apparently all in memory :-> ) and the VM size didn't appear to noticeably change during this time either (

DROD itself pretty much remained permanently ghosted anytime I tried bringing it up to make sure it hadn't finished without me realizing it.

At about 8:56pm I gave up, killed the DROD.exe process (at which point my page file usage dropped back done to 500MB from the 1.9GB it had been sitting at), restarted it to confirm that my data was missing (and peg my CPU now, apparently, mostly in winlogin.exe, which I don't know for sure is related, but I hadn't done anything else), and restored the backup (which did not, at this point, peg my CPU).

fwiw: My drod.dat is ~113MB and my player.dat ~64MB. I can certainly provide both if that would be useful (assuming I can actually upload files that large).

Edit: mrimer, I'm putting the files up somewhere that I can link to and I'll PM you when they are available.

[Last edited by jmpava at 04-26-2007 05:05 AM]
04-26-2007 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Thanks. BTW, drod3_0.dat is stock. That is, it comes with the game and never changes. So I don't need that one. Just player.dat, please. (Data.dat has player data too, and is important on your end, but I don't need it in this instance to help me develop a better upgrade implementation.)

Edit: BTW, starting up 3.0.2 the first time will be fast if you have a small player.dat file. It's only slow if you're lugging around thousands of saved games or dozens of holds, for instance. I'll find a way to improve this.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-26-2007 05:29 AM]
04-26-2007 at 05:09 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3255
mrimer wrote:

+ Aumtlich: now frozen entities are shaded red.
Mimics are not. Neither are unactivated clones, and while they turn red when selected, it might be a little clearer to have the color at all times.
04-26-2007 at 05:33 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Ok, I like what you've done to the title screen. It doesn't fully minimise the effect of the lighted cusor, but it's alot easier. The text is still a bit too grainy for me however.

However, playing ingame and pressing enter, all the text on the buttons, and next to the buttons are no longer there. Same with Ctrl-Enter.

Edit: Almost forgot. Could you make it so that when you move to a different room, if it's already starting to fade, to disappear, but if it isn't starting to fade, persist.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 04-26-2007 08:10 AM]
04-26-2007 at 08:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
NiroZ wrote:
Edit: Almost forgot. Could you make it so that when you move to a different room, if it's already starting to fade, to disappear, but if it isn't starting to fade, persist.

I cannot parse this sentence, and I'm guessing Mike might have some trouble too - what does "it" refer to above?

04-26-2007 at 12:27 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
eytanz wrote:
NiroZ wrote:

I cannot parse this sentence, and I'm guessing Mike might have some trouble too - what does "it" refer to above?
sorry.
It's = the chat messages are
04-26-2007 at 01:34 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3255
I'm experiencing frequent crashes with the new patch. This happens almost always when I either
- place a clone potion
- select another room in the restore screen (happens extremely frequently in TCB:AC. Seems like more evidence against clone potions)
The drod.err message is:
Assertion error in line 226 of .\CueEvents.cpp: "IS_VALID_CID(peCIDArray[wCIDI])"

On another note, Wow. I just noticed that this patch fixed the one thing that troubled me the most until now. I can now switch in and out out of the game window without the brightness levels of my screen reseting automatically. This allows tweaking gamma (in-game settings aren't efficient enough for me) to make darkness rooms playable with alpha blending on, along with much more comfortable multitasking!
04-26-2007 at 01:49 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
No rush, but are we expecting a linux version of the patch candidate, or will we just get it when we're sitting on the patch being released?
04-26-2007 at 06:38 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Not exactly a new bug, as it's been in JtRH for a looong time, but...

Could we please get a linefeed after "Character script is in an infinite loop" in DROD.err, please?

Currently you get "Character script is in an infinite loop" several times until some other message finally ends the line, making that message hard to read...

np: Richie Hawtin - Seduction (DE9 - Transitions)

04-26-2007 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
For the record, it took a split second to load after applying the patch. I have 6 holds installed so that could explain it though...
04-26-2007 at 06:48 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Briareos wrote:
Not exactly a new bug, as it's been in JtRH for a looong time, but...

Could we please get a linefeed after "Character script is in an infinite loop" in DROD.err, please?

Currently you get "Character script is in an infinite loop" several times until some other message finally ends the line, making that message hard to read...

np: Richie Hawtin - Seduction (DE9 - Transitions)

This is really the sort of thing that deserves its own bug thread, rather than being placed in the middle of a thread that's about the patch, and either derailing it, or else getting lost.

04-26-2007 at 07:11 PM
Briareos
wallu wrote:
I couldn't use this patch, either. Or at least it didn't work correctly. When I ran the game after patch, screen went blank and after about 10 minutes game crashed.
That's strange... I thought I'd give it hell by importing my now-fixed progress into TCB 3.0.0 before upgrading, but other than taking 100% of one of my 2 CPU cores (and around 1.4GB of address space) for 5 or so minutes it worked.

Of course, if your additional progress meant that it took over 2 GB of address space then it was destined to crash... :?

np: Richie Hawtin - The Tunnel (DE9 - Transitions)

04-26-2007 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Mike - does this patch work for Macs?

04-26-2007 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Elfstone wrote:
Mike - does this patch work for Macs?
Well, the Mac version of it works for Macs, yes - but there is none (yet)...

(If older beta versions of JtRH are an indication, I'm not sure if there even will be a Mac version of this one before it's finalized...)

np: Richie Hawtin - Noch Ein Mal (DE9 - Transitions)

04-26-2007 at 11:20 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1133
Will MetDROiD Echoes be unbroken with this patch? I remember some issues with the NPCs or some such problem.

04-26-2007 at 11:28 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Yeah. That's the bit about the deprecated Instructor type.

EDIT: I also recall you saying that you moved the LogGameVars messages from drod.err to drod.log. Did you forget to write that down? [That's right -- I'm not going to put that in the change log. Thanks for pointing out this fix, though -- mrimer]

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-27-2007 08:40 PM]
04-26-2007 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
I let my computer try updating the player files again while I was at work today. When I came home it appeared to have finished succesfully, but there was a Microsoft warning message on the screen that Windows had been low on virtual memory and was forced to increase the page files (or something to that effect?), and during this time some application's memory requests would be denied.

This may have resulted in partially corrupted files for me, because even though all my holds and players are showing up I have very unstable behavior. On the choose location screen, the mouse icon is constantly flickering back and forth between the sword and hourglass images, a couple of times per second. Trying to import saves resulted in a crash. Here's what drod.err has to say about it, secreted because it's long:
Click here to view the secret text

04-27-2007 at 04:39 AM
Page 1 of 11
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com