Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Monsters with added brainpower
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
IP: Logged
icon Monsters with added brainpower (0)  
Those of you who have ventured below Level 19 will be aware of monsters with added brainpower and be thankful that spiders prefer to stay on the one level, but are all monsters with brains necessarily more deadly?

I was dreading Level 20 – 3N, 1W with the prospect of facing even smarter Goblins but if anything they seemed easier to deal with. Could Goblins be such perverse creatures that they are in fact made more stupid by Brains?

Similarly Tar Mothers seemed unaffected – I was expecting some sort of variation in the spawn cycle, a semi-spawn every 15 moves for example, but mercifully not!

10-12-2003 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Monsters with added brainpower (0)  
The truth is, that brains just aren't very good at predicting what Beethro is going to do next. They make everything far more deadly when Beethro is standing in place - but if you are moving, the brains keep revising their instructions every turn, which can lead to the monsters doing stupid things indeed. And since killing goblins usually involves more movement (since you need to chase them around) than other monsters - except perhaps wraithwings - the brains often trip them up. This is compounded by the fact that the brains, like many other armchair generals, are quite enamoured of just sending their troops ahead without much respect for their lives - goblins usually avoid your sword, but the brain may give them other priorities.

But the worst problem that a goblin might face due to a brain is if he has friends. Normally, goblins are well-mannered creatures, and if their friend is ahead of them, they won't try to rush by him. A brain changes that behavior, causing goblins to try to walk around each other - but that means that they often can find themselves in situations where, if Beethro goes on the offensive, the goblin they just overtook is now behind them, blocking the path of escape.

[Edited by eytanz on 10-12-2003 at 04:58 PM GMT]

10-12-2003 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Tar is also a tad dumber. If you stab some tar surrounded by two corners, you normally need to backswipe. With brains it's just two directions.

10-12-2003 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
That's not just tar; roaches (and spiders) are also vulnerable to that. Normally, this means you are dead:

# r
#B
# r

But not with a brain in the room.

Basically, any tactic that requires you to move (rather than stand and wave your sword) confuses the brains a bit.

[Edited by eytanz on 10-12-2003 at 06:43 PM GMT: Hey - why does the code tag now add spaces?]

[Edited by eytanz on 10-12-2003 at 06:44 PM GMT]

10-12-2003 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
The thing about brains is that when instructing monsters with roach logic in open spaces, the monsters won't move diagonally towards you until you're in their line of sight, which is why they aren't as smart in that kind of situation.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-18-2003 at 06:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Not necessarily. Check out King Tim's Dungeons L2 1S. The roaches will begin to move diagonally before Beethro's in the sight line.

10-18-2003 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Probably because something was in the way. Other than that, it should be easy to see what I mean.

-Noah

My stuff:

11-08-2003 at 02:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Noah, check the room before you pass a judgement. I made the room, I know there is nothing in the way. There's no probably about that. Repeat, there is nothing in the way.

11-08-2003 at 06:08 AM
NoahT
First, could you please tell me where the hold is? I couldn't find anything under the name you said on the Architecture board.

-Noah

My stuff:

11-08-2003 at 06:25 AM
zex20913
Hrm...it looks like it has been deleted. Probably because it was made with an old version or something, but the point still stands.

Sometimes roaches will move diagonally with brains before they reach line of sight, even if nothing is in the way.

11-08-2003 at 06:44 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
zex20913 wrote:
Sometimes roaches will move diagonally with brains before they reach line of sight, even if nothing is in the way.
Yes - it makes them more efficient at reaching you. 1 move diagonally = 1 move vertically + 1 move horizontally

11-08-2003 at 11:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Monsters with added brainpower
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com