Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : An economic predicament
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon An economic predicament (+1)  
My birthday is coming up, and I'm thinking of either getting the full version of TCB or finally subscribing to CaravelNet. But, of course, I'm not sure which to get.

If the choice were between JtRH and CaravelNet, I would've gotten CaravelNet in a flash. But TCB seems to be just as good as CaravelNet, so I'm not sure, now.

I can't seem to find prices anywhere. If it were reasonable to get both, I would, but I'm afraid that it'll just seem odd to dad if I get both.

Here's kind of what I'm looking for:

1) I want a hold that is full of good puzzles with the new elements, especially citizens and thier building markers; I'm having trouble calculating which citizen will build, and how long it will take, so I can't seem to make a puzzle with them.
2) I want to see the official storyline. For instance, I would like to know what the High Path is, and what the Mothingness is. Unfortunately, for this, I would probably need to purchase past Smitemaster's Selections, which I'm not so sure I want to do.
3) I want a really tough hold.
4) I guess the hold downloading system on CaravelNet would be nice, but if it downloads the holds automatically, then that's not good, because I have less than a gigabyte left of space. Which surprises me, because I have 43 gigs total, meaning I can't find anything to delete out of 42 gigs of stuff.

Help me decide between TCB and CaravelNet. Or else. MWA HA HA HA HAAAA!!!

Ugh, what is it with me and long posts?

04-07-2007 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: An economic predicament (+1)  
Get TCB.
Then get CaravelNet.
Pay your dad if you have to, but get both.
04-07-2007 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
icon Re: An economic predicament (0)  
Wow, in the time it took me to edit my signature to say "hi" under "Holds", someone had already read, understood, and answered my post.
I just felt like saying that.

Hey, maybe I should have made this be a poll . . . oh well. More suggestions?

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 04-07-2007 08:10 PM]
04-07-2007 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
I'd go TCB. It comes with a free month of CaravelNet, too.
04-07-2007 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
coppro wrote:
I'd go TCB. It comes with a free month of CaravelNet, too.
Oh, that's great!

Although, one question . . . does CaravelNet automatically download holds, or do you have to select what to download?

04-07-2007 at 08:13 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
You get to select them.
04-07-2007 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
icon Re: An economic predicament (+2)  
You have to select which holds you want to download. A nice new feature of CaravelNet in TCB, however, is that you can get holds organized by rating in-game, so that if you're only interested in getting good holds first you'll be able to much easier than you could with JTRH.
04-07-2007 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
And another question: I kinda got really annoyed when our computer with the shareware version of SubTerra broke down. Twenty bucks just got spent for nothing, because the software was distributed in such a way that only let us have one copy.

How does the download version work, then? I do not want to have to repurchase it under a worst-case scenario.

04-07-2007 at 08:21 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
There will be a link sent to you, and you can download it as many times as you like.

04-07-2007 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
And Erik is generally forgiving, especial if you post on the forum as an active member like you are.
04-07-2007 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Albert
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
Jason wrote:
There will be a link sent to you, and you can download it as many times as you like.
I'm pretty sure that the link Plimus sends you will only work once, or perhaps only within a certain time.

But as long as you click the link giving you the month of CaravelNet, then you'll get your purchase associated with your account and then you'll be able to get TCB from the downloads page.
04-07-2007 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: An economic predicament (+2)  
Kwakstur wrote:

1) I want a hold that is full of good puzzles with the new elements, especially citizens and thier building markers; I'm having trouble calculating which citizen will build, and how long it will take, so I can't seem to make a puzzle with them.
Yep, that's TCB
2) I want to see the official storyline. For instance, I would like to know what the High Path is, and what the Mothingness is. Unfortunately, for this, I would probably need to purchase past Smitemaster's Selections, which I'm not so sure I want to do.
To understand this all you need is Journey to the rooted hold, and TCB. The Smitemaster Selections are more of a diversion than anything else.
3) I want a really tough hold.
In that case, check this. You don't need to have a caravel subscription or TCB to play them.
4) I guess the hold downloading system on CaravelNet would be nice, but if it downloads the holds automatically, then that's not good, because I have less than a gigabyte left of space.
As others have said, it doesn't download holds automatically, you choose which holds you can download. And besides, they aren't all that big in size anyway (usually less than a megabyte).
Which surprises me, because I have 43 gigs total, meaning I can't find anything to delete out of 42 gigs of stuff.
Assuming that your using windows, go search>all files and folders>what size is it>specify size>100000, you should be able to clean up most of your junk.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 04-11-2007 04:19 AM]
04-08-2007 at 02:10 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: An economic predicament (+3)  
NiroZ wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:
Which surprises me, because I have 43 gigs total, meaning I can't find anything to delete out of 42 gigs of stuff.
Assuming that your using windows, go search>all files and folders>what size is it>specify size>100000, you should be able to clean up most of your junk.
That, and make sure you give TreeSize a try - it'll show you in which folder(s) the biggest parts of those 42 GB are hiding, even if it's oodles of small files.

np: New Order - Vicious Streak (Get Ready)

04-08-2007 at 09:17 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : An economic predicament
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com