Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Request Corrupted Dats
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Request Corrupted Dats (0)  
I'm writing a routine that detects when a .dat file is corrupted. If you've experienced the text loss bug with any build of DROD, please reply to this post with your three dat files attached. If you already did this in another topic, don't worry about it--I'll pick them up there.

I need to write a function that correctly detects corruption in a variety of forms and doesn't crash while doing it. I should test the function on a variety of corrupted files to make sure behavior is consistently correct.

And when that routine is done, I'll write something that backs up the dat files so that if they do get corrupted, you can at least restore to where you were from the previous DROD session. Not a perfect solution, but I think it will get us release-ready.

-Erik

09-30-2003 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838

File: drod1_6.zip (654.8 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Request Corrupted Dats (0)  
I have a serious problem - I just opened my version of DROD with the intention of transferring the data from my old build, Build 42, to the new release candidate, but have found that I have lost all my data again, like in one of the older builds, and the "create new player" dialogue box has come up. I don't know why it happened, but it appears DROD expired or something like that because two days ago, it was perfectly fine and I hadn't touched it between then and now, so the file must have got corrupted on opening or something very similar.

I have just found I cannot send my files to you directly in one lump as I have reached a file size limit so I shall send them separately

First, drod.dat...

10-03-2003 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5

File: text.zip (391.4 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Other
....And player.dat and text.dat

10-03-2003 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
I have just had a really new discovery!

I, in desperation copied the text.dat and drod 1_6.dat into build 41 because the player.dat was the same as in the build 42 version (I imported it), just to see if it worked. Guess what? It did work for some strange reason, and I have managed to see all my levels once again - even the scrolls appear to be fine, so I don't think it was the text.dat that was broken. I'm going to tinker a little with it once I have exported my files safely to see what is wrong.

10-03-2003 at 05:56 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Request Corrupted Dats
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com