Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Interlude: A Goblin's-Eye View : 3 North (Stuck)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
IP: Logged
icon The City Beneath : Interlude: A Goblin's-Eye View : 3 North (0)  
Click here to view the secret text

04-06-2007 at 01:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: The City Beneath : Interlude: A Goblin's-Eye View : 3 North (+1)  

04-06-2007 at 01:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
icon Re: The City Beneath : Interlude: A Goblin's-Eye View : 3 North (0)  
I have no idea how to beat this room! I'm totally stumped. Any hints, or a demo would be nice.
04-28-2007 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: The City Beneath : Interlude: A Goblin's-Eye View : 3 North (+2)  
How I got the aumtlich to move orthogonally:

04-28-2007 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Okay, I read the hint last night, and slept on it, I still can't figure out how to beat the room. Maybe I'm just being slow, but may I have a demo?
04-29-2007 at 02:26 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: The City Beneath : Interlude: A Goblin's-Eye View : 3 North (+4)  
In theory, you could do this room with only 2 mirrors.
Here's a complete spoiler on playing the Aumtlich like a puppet:

04-29-2007 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Thanks for the huge tip Maurog, but I really still can't get it!
04-29-2007 at 04:21 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486

File: TCB Interlude A Goblins-Eye View 3N Victory.demo (7.2 KB)
Downloaded 402 times.
License: Public Domain
I don't see a way to explain this better than Maurog, so I'll just send a demo. However I sugest you only watch it until you "get it" :)
04-29-2007 at 04:35 PM
tokyokid
Thanks a bunch! I finally got it after the first 100 moves!!
04-29-2007 at 05:09 PM
mncrafty
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
icon Re: The City Beneath : Interlude: A Goblin's-Eye View : 3 North (+1)  
Please, I need help with 3 North 1 West :(

[Last edited by mncrafty at 02-16-2008 04:17 AM]
02-15-2008 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
You'd be more likely to find help for 3 North, 1 West in its own topic. This topic is for people who need help with 3 North.

The City Beneath : Interlude: A Goblin's-Eye View : 3 North, 1 West
02-16-2008 at 05:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mncrafty
Rank Points: 20
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
You'd be more likely to find help for 3 North, 1 West in its own topic. This topic is for people who need help with 3 North.

The City Beneath : Interlude: A Goblin's-Eye View : 3 North, 1 West

Thank you for posting that link. I would have posted there, if I had known how to find it. Since it's a secret room, it is not part of the map. Thanks again. I can now move on and search for the extra level. :thumbsup
02-16-2008 at 08:33 PM
yarnexpress
Rank Points: 24
I give up! I don't understand how those autoliches work. What makes them move. What kills them. Where the ray will go next. Nada. I'm tired of screwing around. Take a step then backspace step in another direction backspace. For me a demo is pointless. It will allow me to conquer the room but so what. Is there some kind of explanation somewhere or do I just say I'm done? :thumbsdown
03-16-2011 at 12:34 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: The City Beneath : Interlude: A Goblin's-Eye View : 3 North (+3)  
yarnexpress wrote:
What makes them move.
A full explanation of aumtlich movement behavior can be found in this post. Keep in mind that you are in the goblin player role, which means that monsters (such as the aumtlich) will not chase you down in an attempt to kill you until you either kill another monster or step on a power token. Although specific aumtlich movement rules are more complicated than this, for the sake of this room, assume aumtlichs will turn to face your general direction and then move like a roach towards you, always trying to face you before making another movement towards you.
What kills them.
In general, a player role goblin can step on aumtlichs to kill them. In this room, however, you will need to use the hot tile to burn the aumtlich.
Where the ray will go next.
The "ray" (there is no official term for it) will always appear in front of where the aumtlich is facing and will move in that direction until it hits an obstacle (note that force arrows are not considered obstacles). The aumtlich ray covers this distance in a single turn.

If an aumtlich ray hits a mirror, the aumtlich will be frozen in place until something interferes with the ray. In this room,

Hopefully, this information will be of some use to you. If you have more questions, do not hesitate to ask. :)

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
03-16-2011 at 01:13 AM
Parse
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
A slightly less technical explanation of Aumtlich movement is as follows. Be forewarned that, as it's less technical, it's also less accurate.

Picture the aumtlich as the center of a compass, with lines extending from it in all 8 major directions (North, South, East, West, North-east, North-west, South-east, Southwest). The aumtlich will then determine which of these lines you're closest to, and if it's not already facing that way, it'll turn towards that way. If it doesn't turn, it will take a step closer towards you - if it's in the same row or column as you, it'll move straight towards you (N, E, S, or W), but if it isn't it will try moving diagonally (while still facing the same way).

How I approached this room, in horrifyingly-minute-detail-o-vision:
First, draw out a path using straight horizontal and vertical lines that will have the aumtlich end on the hot floor. Your goal is to have the aumtlich follow that path. I started out doing the following:
- Before stepping on the power token, push a mirror into the aumtlich's gaze. This will keep it from moving once we step on the token.
- Next, I pushed a mirror north, directly above the aumtlich, in the middle of the path I can walk on.
- I then stepped on the power token, which wakes up the aumtlich. He realizes that he's staring at a mirror, and is frozen by his own gaze.
- I then walk north and hide behind the mirror.
- Just by turning left and right, I direct the fegundo to fly between the aumtlich and the southern mirror, breaking its beam and unstunning it. It realizes that I'm to the north, and then starts turning around to face me.
- Once it looks north, it gets frozen by looking into the mirror. Silly aumtlich, gaze-beams are for delvers!
- Again, only by turning left and right, I direct the fegundo to fly north between the northern mirror and the aumtlich. However, once it's there, I turn to make it face southwest (or east).
- While the fegundo is trying to fly against the force arrows, it won't explode, but it keeps blocking the beam from hitting the mirror, which allows the aumtlich to walk north.
- I leave the fegundo there until the aumtlich steps far enough north, and then I turn once more, allowing the fegundo to fly west (or east). Because I haven't moved, I'm still behind the mirror, and since the aumtlich keeps looking in that direction, it gets frozen by its own gaze.
- I then repeat this process for each of the lines in the aumtlich's path.
03-16-2011 at 01:59 PM
yarnexpress
Thank you so much! I think I'll be able to figure out what's going on & conquer this room eventually. I don't care how long it takes me. My frustration was from flying blind. Think one room on the previous level probably took 100 attempts but I could always figure out another plan of attack. (OK, many of those 100 tries were due to fat fingering the direction--more haste less speed)
03-16-2011 at 02:57 PM
yarnexpress
Ha! Finished the room easily. Onward!
03-16-2011 at 04:55 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Interlude: A Goblin's-Eye View : 3 North (Stuck)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com