Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Demo not recorded
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
IP: Logged
icon Demo not recorded (+2)  
Just finished TCB:HV 2W. I went back in to see what kind of scores other people had gotten. I could see the listing for the top demos for the room, but where my demo was supposed to be it said that no demo had been recorded for the room.

I checked the high score page. I can see the scores for that room, but mine isn't listed. The room is also listed under rooms that I don't have a score for.

Somehow the server was sent the message that I had completed the room, but the corresponding demo was never sent. This happens a lot under 2.0, but this is the first time I've seen where the demo wasn't even recorded on my end.

FWIW, subsequent demos have recorded as they're supposed to.
04-06-2007 at 12:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Demo not recorded (+1)  
For the record, I've noticed this too.
04-06-2007 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
This happened to me once (that I know of) too, but the demo recorded properly when I redid the room.
04-06-2007 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
This happened to me several times as well, with different symptoms. I'll give all the details I can since I don't know what's useful:

In at least one case (King Dugan's New Dungeon, 1N1E) it was a purely isolated incident. Every room I played prior and every room I played after had the demo record correctly. I didn't do anything special like mess with settings or verify a connection, because I didn't even notice until much later.

In one case it was not isolated. If you look at my list of unconquered rooms for TCB you'll see that most of River Dugan is listed unconquered, because demos weren't recorded for any of these rooms.

In one case it happened on a room that was already conquered. River Dugan 4S6E recorded a demo properly on my first play through, then didn't when I restored back and played through it again.
04-06-2007 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Demo not recorded (0)  
This has happened to me a couple of times in random rooms. The first time, restarting DROD, restoring to a late checkpoint and recompleting worked, but it hasn't this second time. I'll have to try again later.
04-07-2007 at 05:55 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
I've just had this happen to me too. FR : 2N2W. I have replayed the room from checkpoints and still no demo is recorded.

I have closed and reopened the game, restored to checkpoint and still no demo.

Replaying the room from the start has recorded the demo for me.

Steve.
04-07-2007 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
This is the case for me in TC:1S3W. I can't get my demo to record even when I replay from my last save (and the room is long enough that I don't want to replay from the top).

this room I did "sleep on"... so, basically, I played it over more than one "game session". this bug kind of reminds me of the way certain scripted rooms in JtRH wouldn't save demos if you restored into them.

04-08-2007 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Another room that I can't get a demo for. TCB AF 2S1W.

I have replayed from the checkpoint and no demo, then replayed the room from the start, but still no demo. I am going to exit TCB and reopen then test again.

Edit : Demo recorded first time after restarting TCB

Steve.

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 04-08-2007 06:40 PM]
04-08-2007 at 05:36 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Just happened to me, AF 2n1e
04-09-2007 at 04:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jmpava
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
I'm getting this one a fair amount (and given that the spiders finally done, it's not just that). fwiw, I'm specifically seeing this on the interlude levels - I'm missing about half on both of them. I tried restoring into a couple that were very near completion at save and finishing, but that didn't seem to help.

04-09-2007 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
I'm getting the no demo recorded problem in DR:2S. I got a demo when I originally beat the room. I played around in 2S1E for a while, then reloaded my last checkpoint in 2S. I then beat 2S again, improved my score, and the demo was submitted.

But, the next two times I cleared the room produced no demos. I restarted DROD. Still no demos, UNTIL I moved the raft once before exiting the room, and a demo was recorded. I tried again without doing this, no demo. (The first two demos before the problem starting are without the raft moving however.)

Each of these attempts was from a checkpoint restore, whether a demo recorded or not.

Probably not too helpful, but I just find the one that DID record interesting.

EDIT: and a second attempt without moving the raft DID succeed. As far as I know there's no scripting in this room, and I was doing essentially the same thing each time. Some of the demos that did and didn't record were likely the same move for move, loading from the same point, in the same way. I can't think of any variation between them to examine. This seems to be a VERY random sort of bug.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 04-12-2007 04:28 AM]
04-12-2007 at 04:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Remlin
Rank Points: 181
Just to give a bit more info on this, I hit another outbreak of this bug in Lowest Proper where I had virtually the whole level not recorded. Restoring to a checkpoint late in a room and recompleting didn't help. But exiting the game, restarting, and then restoring to a late checkpoint and finishing, did finally record a demo in all cases.
04-15-2007 at 11:03 PM
Dolan42
Rank Points: 195
I've also had this happen. The last time it happened I was able to get it to record a victory demo by pressing F4 and saving a demo before exiting the room. I haven't had it happen since so I'm not sure if manually saving a demo fixed it or if it was just a random fluke.

04-15-2007 at 11:57 PM
schep
Rank Points: 864
I'm missing a bunch of demos from Torture Chambers, although I've always had record-victory-demo checked. I think this would have been about the time DNS servers were all claiming there were no caravelgames.com records - could CaravelNet problems be related to this?

04-20-2007 at 01:49 PM
md5i
Rank Points: 109
Dolan42 wrote:
I've also had this happen. The last time it happened I was able to get it to record a victory demo by pressing F4 and saving a demo before exiting the room. I haven't had it happen since so I'm not sure if manually saving a demo fixed it or if it was just a random fluke.
I'm thinking that it is not a fluke. I attempted to get a demo on one room several times, and only succeeded after going to Options, telling it to create demos on death, and dying once before exiting. I have fixed this problem twice thus far using this method. Your method is better, of course, but I hadn't read your solution before attempting mine.

I am thinking that the next time I run into this, I should throw my .dat files at mrimer so he can (hopefully) recreate the problem.

04-20-2007 at 04:54 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
I've had this happen 5 or 6 times now. In all cases I was able to get a demo to record by simply replaying from my last save point (or redoing in the case of the really short room).

I realise an apparently random occuring bug is next to impossible to track down, but this one is starting to get annoying. I had one room where I solved the room by accident and had to watch other people's demos to figure out what I had done. In another room I got a new #1 but no demo; fortunately, I remembered the trick I used.

It's worth mentioning that in the #1 room I repeated my solution exactly without hitting undo. I then repeated it again with a couple of undos inserted. In both cases a demo was recorded. The failed demo recording and the next two attempts only took about five minutes.
04-20-2007 at 05:21 PM
md5i
Rank Points: 109
The last time this happened to me, replaying from the last checkpoint did not work. Consistantly.

04-20-2007 at 07:07 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Might I suggest something to do the next time this happens?

* Immediately exit DROD
* Copy all your .dat files to somewhere safe
* Start DROD again, see if the demo still doesn't record
* If yes, ZIP up the .dat files you saved earlier and put them somewhere Mike can get them
* Tell Mike (mrimer) where your ZIP is

That should help track that bug down... :)

np: New Order - Regret (Singles (Disc 2))

04-20-2007 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Yes, please. If you've got .dats I can use and steps to reproduce the bug, I'll fix it right away for the next patch. :yes

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-23-2007 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Well, it's happening to me too. Started in Torture Chambers and now also in Oremite. The room shows as green on the map, but no victory demos and CaravelNet shows as not completed. Attached is my .dat file.

I planned on redoing the room anyway as it's pitiful right now, but it's a little frustrating when I've completed a 500 move room with a pretty high score and have to re-do until it takes.

[Last edited by noma at 04-27-2007 09:53 PM]
04-27-2007 at 09:44 PM
mrimer
noma wrote:
Well, it's happening to me too. Started in Torture Chambers and now also in Oremite. The room shows as green on the map, but no victory demos and CaravelNet shows as not completed. Attached is my .dat file.

I planned on redoing the room anyway as it's pitiful right now, but it's a little frustrating when I've completed a 500 move room with a pretty high score and have to re-do until it takes.
Sorry, I need player.dat, not data.dat. And, if you would, please zip it first.

04-27-2007 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Sorry. I've got to read more carefully. Here it is. [got it, thanks -- mrimer]

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-29-2007 04:14 PM]
04-27-2007 at 10:42 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Also happened to me in AF: 2N. Recorded upon restart.

04-29-2007 at 12:16 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
This happens to me all the time now. I have tried different holds. I have tried to restart DROD, I have tried to restart the computer. It started to be like this when I installed the patch candidate :(. No demos at all gets created. Do you think this will get fixed?

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 05-06-2007 07:39 PM]
05-06-2007 at 07:36 PM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
This happened to me tonight in the Torture Chambers, 1S3W. Initially restarted from a non-checkpointed save point- as in, where I gave up upon quitting last playing session. Finished it this time, although with many restore-to-checkpoints in between. Upon success, I saw no "nth place!" notice, so reentered the room to check the demos. Pressing F6 game me a list of demos (700-some moves) for that room, 1S3W, but showed the screenshot and preview for my 1W demo. Seemingly, the system knew I had completed the room (green cleared and all) so it showed me the high scores for 1S3W, but didn't have my own demo, so showed the picture of 1W. If I clicked on one of my demos, I couldn't get the list of 1S3W demos to reappear again.

Hope this adds something. I used Dolan42's trick of manually saving a demo just before exiting to get around this.

BbJ

05-08-2007 at 08:28 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
Has this problem been fixed? If not, I've got some more .dats if Mike wants to take a look. One particular room in Magic Show 2 (Infinite Enemies: 1 South) is continually failing to save demos, and one of the key factors to cause it right now seems to be pressing R in the room before I finish it. As in, if I manually restore from a saved checkpoint near the end of the room and complete it without errors, then it saves, but if I have to use R during that, then it doesn't.

Can't say it's happening 100% of the time, but it's happening pretty frequently for this room.
08-05-2007 at 01:43 AM
key-smiter
Rank Points: 121
I too can jump on the "data available if needed" bandwagon. TCB suddenly stopped recording demos in TCB:Lowest Proper just last week -
08-05-2007 at 09:07 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I believe that this bug has been fixed. It can be de-stickied.
09-11-2007 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
coppro wrote:
I believe that this bug has been fixed. It can be de-stickied.
I haven't fixed it yet, but it's the next thing on my list.

09-11-2007 at 03:24 AM
mrimer
Yay -- I found the cause of this bug and fixed it for 3.1.0.45!

<dev stuff>This happens when undoing moves with the aid of a previous game snapshot state. Whenever that happens, the game forgets that a demo should be saved when conquering the room (if the player has that preference enabled, of course). The solution is to preserve the value of this->dwAutoSaveOptions before copying the previous game state snapshot to the activate game object.

09-11-2007 at 04:20 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Demo not recorded
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com