Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forums keep disappearing
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DGM
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 202
IP: Logged
icon Forums keep disappearing (0)  
Is it just me, or has anyone else found themselves unable to reach the forums for hours at a time?

04-06-2007 at 09:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Forums keep disappearing (0)  
DGM wrote:
Is it just me, or has anyone else found themselves unable to reach the forums for hours at a time?
Well Mrimer is finding it impossible to access the forums at all (he suspected that the Caravel DNS was done), although it's all fine and dandy here.
04-06-2007 at 09:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DGM
Rank Points: 202
NiroZ wrote:
DGM wrote:
Well Mrimer is finding it impossible to access the forums at all (he suspected that the Caravel DNS was done), although it's all fine and dandy here.

What is a DNS?

It keeps cutting in and out for me. Is there anything I can do to help track down the problem?

04-06-2007 at 10:09 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Forums keep disappearing (+2)  
NiroZ wrote:
Whenever I can't reach the forum I find that ns1.domainsite.com thru ns4.domainsite.com also aren't reachable[1]... maybe if they (Erik?) added a nameserver at some other hosting service that wasn't connected to domainsite (heck, even FreeDNS would be sufficient) there would be a chance to still be able to resolve *.caravelgames.com when the DNS goes boom...

@DGM: Take a look

[1] Duh - colour me unsurprised... a traceroute to those four nameservers shows that they all share the same last hop, and are thus all routed the same - so we have here four nameservers with wildly differing numerical IP addresses that are all connected to a single point of failure... :rolleyes Are those guys at domainsite.com 100% clueless or is that some kind of late april-fools joke?

04-06-2007 at 10:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
For what it's worth, my computer does not have any problem getting to the website, but I'm behind a DNS cache. On the other hand, another computer without said cache cannot get to the website.
04-06-2007 at 01:00 PM
Briareos
icon Re: Forums keep disappearing (+1)  
Alneyan wrote:
For what it's worth, my computer does not have any problem getting to the website, but I'm behind a DNS cache. On the other hand, another computer without said cache cannot get to the website.
Now that's just great - I can use dig to query forum.caravelgames.com from ns1.domainsite.com, but my ISP's DNS can't find it on it's own...

Adding "72.232.206.138 forum.caravelgames.com" to your hosts file helps, but that's only a short term fix - if the forum's IP address changes that'll be contra-productive...

np: Death Cab For Cutie - Flustered/Hey Tomcat! (You Can Play These Songs With Chords)

04-06-2007 at 02:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
It's 8.05pm (BST) and this is my first successful attempt to access the site since 9.15 this morning (and I have been trying) - very frustrating! Could this be to do with all the increased activity due to the release of TCB and the new Chat system?

04-06-2007 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
No, the DNS was messed up.
04-06-2007 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
coppro wrote:
No, the DNS was messed up.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a DNS?

04-06-2007 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
Domain Name Server. It turns a hostname like "forum.caravelgames.com" into an IP address which the computer uses to find the website. It's kind of like a phone book for the internet.
04-06-2007 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
coppro wrote:
Domain Name Server. It turns a hostname like "forum.caravelgames.com" into an IP address which the computer uses to find the website. It's kind of like a phone book for the internet.

Thanks. :)

04-06-2007 at 08:21 PM
Pneh
Rank Points: 154
It happend to me yesterday! I kind of got into a rage. If your left shoe disappeared yesterday, I kinda ate it...

04-07-2007 at 12:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Pneh wrote:
I kind of got into a rage. If your left shoe disappeared yesterday, I kinda ate it...
:huh
What the hell are you doing with ma shoes!
04-07-2007 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdwing
Rank Points: 288
I'm not sure if this is the same problem or a different problem, but none of the posts at this forum are being received by me as email. I still have all the boxes checked just like before.

Alright. Who broke the internet?

"Until it ends, there is no end."
04-07-2007 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
bdwing wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the same problem or a different problem, but none of the posts at this forum are being received by me as email. I still have all the boxes checked just like before.
As Schik wrote somewhere else, sending mails from caravelgames.com is currently disabled.

Alright. Who broke the internet?
Bill Gates, in the server room, with Microsoft Network.

04-07-2007 at 04:26 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
Yes, actually -- (this time) it initially had to do with Hotmail blocking our emails. I guess they somehow equate a bunch of people receiving a bunch of emails from an address on their safe list (ours) as unsolicited spamming. :thumbsdown

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-07-2007 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
We were shut down by our name hosting provider for fitting their broad definition of what a spammer is, i.e. sends lots of e-mails = must be a spammer. Right now all of the outgoing e-mail from our site is turned off. This is to prevent them from shutting down our name hosting again, which is the functional equivalent of shutting down our websites. I think it's a terribly unfair situation, but I'm just moving on. Schik and I are working on a plan to get the e-mail back up without putting us at risk for being shut down again.

-Erik

04-07-2007 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Now that's just stupid. Could you tell me where they are so that I can knock some sense into them? ;)

04-07-2007 at 10:53 PM
Briareos
Sillyman wrote:
Now that's just stupid. Could you tell me where they are so that I can knock some sense into them? ;)
WHOIS is your friend... :whistle

np: Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees (The Bends)

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-08-2007 12:28 AM]
04-08-2007 at 12:26 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5413
Emails are now being sent for order confirmation and for requesting CaravelNet keys. All other emails are still turned off, but we hope to get them all back up soon.

[Last edited by Schik at 04-09-2007 05:19 AM]
04-08-2007 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
brotherfish
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
As of 11:15 (EST) I am still unable to get a new CaravelNet key. I have tried requesting it from inside DRoD 3, and from my forum profile.

Have the emails been shut off again?

[Last edited by brotherfish at 04-09-2007 04:23 AM]
04-09-2007 at 04:22 AM
Schik
brotherfish wrote:
As of 11:15 (EST) I am still unable to get a new CaravelNet key. I have tried requesting it from inside DRoD 3, and from my forum profile.

No, they're still up. I just tested and they're working for me.

Make sure your email is set correctly in your profile, and check your junk mail folder in case it got tossed in there.

04-09-2007 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
This could possibly be caused by the fact that we're sending emails out from a new domain. The DNS for the new domain hasn't propagated to me yet, but my email host doesn't seem to care - perhaps other mail hosts don't like that and are refusing email. Hopefully this problem will go away in a day or two...

wallu, I sent you a key in PM.

04-09-2007 at 05:06 PM
Briareos
Schik wrote:
perhaps other mail hosts don't like that and are refusing email. Hopefully this problem will go away in a day or two...
Curious as I am, I just had to test this:

* A key request sent to my GMX.at address never arrived
* A key request sent directly to my own mail server (which does nada filtering) arrived after a few seconds

So yeah, that's probably some overzealous SPAM filter kicking in...

np: Why? - Gemini - Birthday Song (Elephant Eye Lash)

04-09-2007 at 05:36 PM
brotherfish
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Schik wrote:
brotherfish wrote:

No, they're still up. I just tested and they're working for me.

Make sure your email is set correctly in your profile, and check your junk mail folder in case it got tossed in there.

I made sure caravelgames.com was in the allowed senders list. It sounds like there is still some DNS wackiness. No big deal, I'll just try to request a new key every day or so (unless there is some limit I am hitting...)
04-09-2007 at 11:25 PM
Schik
brotherfish wrote:
I made sure caravelgames.com was in the allowed senders list. It sounds like there is still some DNS wackiness. No big deal, I'll just try to request a new key every day or so (unless there is some limit I am hitting...)
Sorry, I had missed this post. I've PM'd you a key.

04-10-2007 at 06:30 PM
Remlin
Rank Points: 181
As long as you're in a PM mood, can you please send me a link to download TBC windows edition? It's been nearly a week now and I still can't play.
04-11-2007 at 04:46 AM
Surnia
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
I'm also unable to request a key. I tried it a few dozend times the last 4 days but ... nothing. It's not in my spam folder and different mail adresses didn't work, too.

It can't be a solution to send the keys via PM in future but it would be very nice for this time :kiss.

Surnia
04-11-2007 at 07:59 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forums keep disappearing
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com