Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : No Sound on 3.0.0 Linux Version
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
HHermans
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon No Sound on 3.0.0 Linux Version (0)  
When I load TCB (3.0.0) Linux Version from the shell, throughout the game I get tons of error messages related to failure to stream sounds. Here are some examples:

drod: Assertion error in line 1335 of /build/DROD/DROD30/FrontEndLib/Sound.cpp: "!"Failed to load sound in CSound:: PlayVoice().""

drod: Assertion error in line 569 of /build/DROD/DROD30/DROD/DrodSound.cpp: "!"CDrodSound::LoadSong(): Failed to open stream.""

drod: Assertion error in line 409 of /build/DROD/DROD30/FrontEndLib/Sound.cpp: "!"CSoundEffect::LoadSample(): Failed to load sample.""

It should be noted that on my system sound does work fine on the 2.x (JtRH) version.
04-05-2007 at 02:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: No Sound on 3.0.0 Linux Version (0)  
Hm. It could be that your drod.ini has been broken somehow. drod.ini is located here:

Full version: ~/.caravel/drod-3_0/drod.ini
Demo version: ~/.caravel/drod-3_0-demo/drod.ini

If you delete drod.ini, DROD will generate a new one. So, does deleting drod.ini (while the game is not running) make the sound work for you ?

[Last edited by trick at 04-08-2007 10:47 AM]
04-08-2007 at 10:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HHermans
I deleted drod.ini, but the sound still does not work and spits out the same error messages.
04-09-2007 at 09:41 PM
trick
icon Re: No Sound on 3.0.0 Linux Version (+2)  
Hm, okay. This puzzles me, since those sounds are in the dat file along with all the graphics and that, and if that didn't work the game wouldn't even start. Could you post your drod.ini here, just so that I check if DROD generates it correctly ? Also please let me know what sort of system you're running this on (Linux distro/version, sound driver, etc), and what version of DROD you're having problems with (demo or full). Also, when you say that JtRH works, is that version 2.0.15 or an earlier version ?

Hey, hang on. You say this happens when you launch DROD from the shell. Just to make sure, you're not running the .bin file directly, are you ? If you are, don't do that. The drod-tcb script sets up the system to load included libraries that we know work, sometimes system-installed libraries have bugs that break things like this. Also, does sound work if you launch DROD from its menu entry or desktop icon, if you installed that ?

04-11-2007 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
Do you use ALSA or OSS ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
04-11-2007 at 04:44 PM
HHermans

File: drod.ini (7.3 KB)
Downloaded 17 times.
License: Public Domain
I'm using Ubuntu, Dapper Drake. Here's what uname -a says:
Linux charon 2.6.15-27-amd64-generic #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 16 01:50:50 UTC 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Perhaps this problem is related only to AMD 64?

I have not fiddled with the sound drivers in any which way. I'm using alsa.

I'm running the full version of DROD 3.0.0 from the shell with "./drod-tcd", not calling the .bin file.

On JtRH I'm using v. 2.0.9. I went to the downloads page, but it appears the link to the Linux JtRH full version patch file was removed. Strangely enough, background music and the gregorian chant piece play just fine, but the voices of characters don't. JtRH pipes out this error:
DROD:Assertion error in line 346 of ../../DROD/DrodSound.cpp: "Sound effect failed to load."

[Last edited by HHermans at 04-11-2007 08:33 PM]
04-11-2007 at 08:32 PM
HHermans

File: drod.err (368.9 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's my error log, if it helps.
04-11-2007 at 08:42 PM
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
That's strange. I use exactly the same distro, also ALSA (which is better, but sometimes problematic because many older/commercial games are made for OSS) and have no problems.

I guess it's a problem with amd64 , or your hardware in general(drivers?), especially that you have problems with JTRH as well.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
04-12-2007 at 09:22 AM
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: No Sound on 3.0.0 Linux Version (+1)  
Ummm... maybe it's just me, but I'd rather say this:

"SDL_Mixer Error: Failed loading libvorbisfile.so.3: libvorbisfile.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

is the culprit - no libvorbisfile.so.3, no loading of OGG files. It's that simple.

At least for Debian, the package containing it is called libvorbisfile3 - dunno if it's the same for Ubuntu, but it probably is, so go ahead and install it.

04-12-2007 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
It sounds that simple, yeah. There's only one catch: DROD is not supposed to rely too much on system libraries, and libvorbisfile is already in DROD's own Lib directory.

For what it's worth, TCB doesn't have libvorbisfile with its own libs (it still is loaded by TCB according to ldd).
04-12-2007 at 11:52 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Alneyan wrote:
It sounds that simple, yeah. There's only one catch: DROD is not supposed to rely too much on system libraries, and libvorbisfile is already in DROD's own Lib directory.

For what it's worth, TCB doesn't have libvorbisfile with its own libs (it still is loaded by TCB according to ldd).
Errr... even if TCB comes with it's own libvorbisfile, it's a matter of fact that it can't be loaded on his machine - and no libvorbisfile means no sound effects, period.

Still, renaming/removing the libvorbisfile in the lib directory and installing a version matching the distribution can't hurt, can it?

He'd still probably need a 32-bit lib, though, or is there a 64bit Linux version of DROD?

(Can't really test this, as my only Linux machine here has an ARM CPU and 32MB of RAM... :P)

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-12-2007 12:00 PM]
04-12-2007 at 11:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick

File: libvorbisfile.so.3 (25.9 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Other
Er. Yeah, I forgot to include libvorbisfile.so.3 with the TCB installer, which explains things. SDL_mixer doesn't actually depend on this file, but loads it dynamically, which seems to have caught me off-guard :blush. Anyhow, I'll fix the installer.

HHermans, in the mean time, you can download the attached file and put it in the Libs directory where you installed TCB. That should hopefully fix things!

[Last edited by trick at 04-12-2007 01:52 PM]
04-12-2007 at 01:51 PM
HHermans
icon Re: No Sound on 3.0.0 Linux Version (+1)  
I can actually hear music and voices now :D. Thanks for clearing this bug up.
04-12-2007 at 08:08 PM
schep
Rank Points: 864
This one lurked for quite a while before biting me too. I finally figured it out on my own, but I'll describe what happened, especially in case anybody else tries searching on the exact error message:
SDL_Mixer Error: Failed loading libvorbisfile.so.3: /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3: undefined symbol: vorbis_synthesis_idheader
Assertion error in line 569 of /build/DROD/DROD30/DROD/DrodSound.cpp: "!"CDrodSound::LoadSong(): Failed to open stream.""
SDL_Mixer Error: Failed loading libvorbisfile.so.3: /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3: undefined symbol: vorbis_synthesis_idheader
Assertion error in line 409 of /build/DROD/DROD30/FrontEndLib/Sound.cpp: "!"CSoundEffect::LoadSample(): Failed to load sample.""

In my case, I already had both libvorbis and libvorbisfile in /usr/lib, and had never bothered to put a libvorbisfile in DROD's Libs directory, since it was working fine. But a while back, a system upgrade replaced both of the /usr/lib files with different versions. Which means the libvorbis included with DROD attempted to load a mismatched version of /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3, and failed. Which then means that all SDL sound-related calls failed, and there was no sound coming out of DROD.

The solution I recommend (to guarantee this sort of thing won't just happen again later) is the same as the one to the original problem in this thread. Get the file above and put it in /usr/local/games/drod-tcb/Libs/ (or similar, depending on whether you have the demo and where you installed it).

man, I could've sworn those dlopen errors weren't in the logs the first time I attempted to investigate this

[Last edited by schep at 08-31-2007 12:58 AM]
08-31-2007 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : No Sound on 3.0.0 Linux Version
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com