Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 1.5 issues from the masses
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon 1.5 issues from the masses (0)  
I've received this e-mail from a distressed 1.5 user. Not sure what the problem is, so anyone else care to input?

"I click on the ok button after I type in my name and then nothing happens. I've tried all the resolutions nothing works."

"Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
Clean install using Full CD /T:C:\\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=E:\\backup99\\win98 /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx IE 5 6.0.2800.1106 AuthenticAMD AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor 94MB RAM Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1177MB free) Available space on drive C: 1177MB of 3069MB (FAT32)"

Matt, by proxy

09-25-2003 at 12:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: 1.5 issues from the masses (0)  
I need to know what "nothing happens" means. That's just as descriptive as mothing happens. :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-26-2003 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
As I remember (stupid me, I deleted the first e-mail, which may have had more information) it registers the name, fades to black and stays there.

Matt

09-26-2003 at 01:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I'm running Win98SE (only because I don't have time to install linux and configure it to my specifications), and I found that until I moved the game to full screen mode I wasn't able to get past the name portion at all. I think Win98 just sucks too much, but that's just me.

I also find that when I'm in a room and I drop to windowed mode, the game closes and I lose my progress, but I've attributed this to the same fact: MacroCrap hasn't figured out Winblows is a bad product.

09-26-2003 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Re: 1.5 issues from the masses (0)  
DiMono wrote:
I'm running Win98SE (only because I don't have time to install linux and configure it to my specifications), and I found that until I moved the game to full screen mode I wasn't able to get past the name portion at all. I think Win98 just sucks too much, but that's just me.

I also find that when I'm in a room and I drop to windowed mode, the game closes and I lose my progress, but I've attributed this to the same fact: MacroCrap hasn't figured out Winblows is a bad product.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...does this happen with the newest, beta builds? If so, have you reported it?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-26-2003 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
DiMono wrote:

I feel duty bound to direct you to this.

If you're going to nasty about Microsoft, at least use their real name. The sentiment comes out much the same and you don't look so nasty.

For the record, I don't mind Windows, especially XP, which surprises me with it ability to crash and then pick itself back up again, which if you're going to have a buggy OS should be one of your priorities.

I'd use Linux, but then I'd be a Linux user, and I don't want to be lumped in with the zealots running around declaring they'd take Linux to a movie and a romantic restaurant if they could. Plus I use too many emulators and I'd like them to be supported 100% by my OS. They're hard enough to get perfect as it is.

I've emailed the person having this problem, and I'll tell you how it went when I get back from the middle of nowhere.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 09-27-2003 at 02:54 PM]

09-27-2003 at 03:06 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Re: Re: 1.5 issues from the masses (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
DiMono wrote:

I feel duty bound to direct you to this.

If you're going to nasty about Microsoft, at least use their real name. The sentiment comes out much the same and you don't look so nasty.

I'd like to echo that sentiment, except changing the first occurance of "nasty" to "critical", and the second to "childish". Name-calling is the weapon chosen by people who are either A) in elementary school, or B) don't have any actual grounds on which to base a reasonable argument. Even if you happen to be right, you weaken yourself by resorting to it, since it makes people like me and Matt wonder if you really know what you're talking about or are just attacking MS because they're an easy target.

Eytan

09-27-2003 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
This looks like the start of some friendly O/S advocacy, in which participants will make profound points that we've never heard before. ;)

I'd rather reserve this topic for discussion about the original message. If you want, I can move your messages into a new topic.

-Erik

09-27-2003 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Here is where I left off with our DROD victim in e-mail:

W wrote:
Hi, I've played the demo version of drod and really enjoyed playing. I just downloaded the free Caravel drod and I can't seem to get it to start. I open the game type in my name then nothing happens. Is there something I can do? I downloaded it from two different lacations? I hope that someone can help...
Hello!

Sorry for the late reply. Been a bit busy, but now here I am. I want you to get past the problem so you can play the game.

You say nothing happens. Does it stay on the same screen? Can you still type or press buttons? Is the music playing?
No, nothing happens...
I start the game the window opens I type my name then press the ok button the window disappears, then nothing happens the program does not start. nothing ...
That is useful, thanks.
I've changed the resolution and tried them all still the
same thing. Nothing. when a press Ctrl-alt-delete the program is not
running. I really have no Idea? I demo version plays no problem... but
I've played the same three levels over and over I'm ready for more...
Let's see...

If you go to this page:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10939&release_id=185087

...there are two versions of DROD. One says "Caravel DROD 1.5 Setup" which is the old version. Then there is the new version "Build 45 - RC7". If you've tried both of these versions, my advice here is moot, but I would download the one you haven't tried yet. The DROD.net download instructions probably pointed you at the older version. Rationale: Try the new one because we might have fixed the problem in it. Try the old one because we might have created a new problem in the new version. In any case, please let me know the results.

Also, not sure how good you are with finding files, but in the "DROD" directory look for stderr.txt and in the "DROD\\data" directory look for drod.err. If you find these files (they may not be present), please e-mail them to me. I'll explain this better if you want. This is an unreasonable amount of effort for you to go through just to play the game, but I hope I can convince you to jump through a few hoops.

-Erik

09-27-2003 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Bloody hell, you've been speaking to her as well? That's embarrasing for me.

Well, you did a much better job than I did. I applaud you. Although I reckon she meant two different locations as being something like mobygames and the-underdogs.

Matt (in exile)

09-29-2003 at 09:39 AM
ErikH2000
Mattcrampy wrote:
Bloody hell, you've been speaking to her as well? That's embarrasing for me.
Yeah, I think she just e-mailed us both, right? I'm not sure if any of my advice helped her, but she got DROD running and was very happy to plunge into level four. I guess she had replayed the first three Webfoot shareware levels several times because there was nothing else to play. Yay! New DROD player!

-Erik

09-29-2003 at 04:53 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Re: Re: 1.5 issues from the masses (0)  
Sorry, Erik, just have to answer this one..

Mattcrampy wrote:
I'd use Linux, but then I'd be a Linux user, and I don't want to be lumped in with the zealots running around declaring they'd take Linux to a movie and a romantic restaurant if they could.
Gee, thank you. Saying that all linux users are like that is like saying that all windows users think the cdrom is a coffee cup tray. In other words, probably not true.

My point is that not everyone is like that. In fact, judging from my numerous close encounters with other linux users, most aren't. It's just that those who are tend to be louder, just like the windows 1337 d00dz.

Plus I use too many emulators and I'd like them to be supported 100% by my OS. They're hard enough to get perfect as it is.
That, on the other hand, is a valid reason.

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 09-29-2003 at 05:06 PM]
09-29-2003 at 04:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 1.5 issues from the masses
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com