Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A question about JtRH player exports, TCB imports... (I'm surprised no one's asked yet...)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
IP: Logged
icon Re: A question about JtRH player exports, TCB imports... (0)  
The CaravelNet server uses an e-mail fanning system. That is, it doesn't send emails immediately, so as to lower the chances that a spam filter would catch it.
04-07-2007 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
coppro wrote:
The CaravelNet server uses an e-mail fanning system. That is, it doesn't send emails immediately, so as to lower the chances that a spam filter would catch it.
And our email distribution is b0rked right now...Erik and Matt are working on it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-07-2007 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
key-smiter
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
I have a problem . . . while following silver's instructions earlier in this thread (thanks!) I ended up with two identically-named players in TCB. I'm speculating that this is because I got partway through TCB before importing my JtRH player file . . . is there any way to combine these players, or should I kill my TCB progress and re-start, or what?

Thanks -
06-12-2007 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: A question about JtRH player exports, TCB imports... (+1)  
"Export Saves" from one player and import them into the other.

++Adam H. Peterson
06-12-2007 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
key-smiter
OK . . . now I'm really disheartened. I (again) followed silver's directions, downloading all the holds into TCB, etc. . . . and tried the most recent suggestion from AlefBet. Took some time, maybe a half hour.

Now what I have are two identically-named players, just like before. One has my TCB progress, and the other has nothing*. This is where I was last time I posted.

So. Given where I am, how can I get my JtRH progress into TCB? (For that matter, if at some point I want to get JtRH itself into TCB, where is that hold?)

Thanks -
{Edit - *Sorry. By "nothing" I mean no hold progress in any hold I've been putzing around with over the years.}

[Last edited by key-smiter at 06-22-2007 12:49 AM]
06-22-2007 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
You can't get JtRH into TCB. Yet, anyway. I'm not quite sure I understand the problem. Simply "Export Saves" from JtRH, open up TCB, choose your TCB player and import the saves file. Then all your JtRh saved games (other than JtRH itself) should be merged into that player...

"Oook!"
06-22-2007 at 10:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
key-smiter
krammer wrote:
Simply "Export Saves" from JtRH, open up TCB, choose your TCB player and import the saves file. Then all your JtRh saved games (other than JtRH itself) should be merged into that player...

I agree that this sounds like it should work. However, on this end it yielded two separate identically-named players (something I'm surprised is permitted) and only TCB history in one of those.

I'm starting to think I'll need to blow both TCB players away and start over . . . although I'd rather not restart TCB.

Sigh.
06-22-2007 at 02:04 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
key-smiter wrote:
However, on this end it yielded two separate identically-named players (something I'm surprised is permitted) and only TCB history in one of those.
Player names are allowed to be identical because after a player is created the name is purely cosmetic. Each player has a GUID associated with it at creation and after that a player name can change freely without affecting this ID.

Feel free to change either or both player names. If you later import a player file for either player using the earlier name, DROD will merge the data from the player file into the correct player (using the GUID made at player creation).

It is surprising to me that importing a "saves only" file would create a new player. It is my understanding that the purpose of the "export saves" operation is to create a data file with save game information but no player ID. I must be missing something somewhere.

++Adam H. Peterson
06-22-2007 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
key-smiter
This whole thing is mystifying to me too. So here's what I just did:

1) Deleted the empty player in TCB.
2) Exported saves only from JtRH.
3) Imported the resulting "save" file into TCB, using the remaining player.
4) Checked status on the just-imported holds in TCB. Every single one had the status reset to the beginning, where the "Continue Playing Game" option is not available, only "Play New Game".

In a metaphorical sense, I've retreated from Square One to Ground Zero. How have other folks transferred hold status from JtRH to TCB?

Thanks -
06-22-2007 at 11:28 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Restore. The "Continue Game" option is never available after importing saves.
06-23-2007 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
key-smiter
coppro wrote:
Restore. The "Continue Game" option is never available after importing saves.
Ah . . . .hahahaha! I guess it's funny that I spent several hours on this . . . but thanks for finally sending me straight.
06-23-2007 at 01:16 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A question about JtRH player exports, TCB imports... (I'm surprised no one's asked yet...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com