Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Monitor refresh rate DROD crash
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon Monitor refresh rate DROD crash (0)  
Using build 45...

I changed my monitor refresh rate while DROD was running (in windowed mode) from 60Hz to 75Hz. The DROD display went blank, but the DROD application was still responsive. I Esc,Esc,Esc'ed to quit. I launched DROD again while at 75Hz, DROD worked normally. I then tried going from 75Hz back to 60Hz, and this time got a crash, DROD was unresponsive, and I had to manually kill the task.

I then repeated all of the above, getting exactly the same results.

I'm using Windows XP SP1, Geforce3 Ti200 graphics card, current drivers are 45.23, monitor is Sony CPD-E430, the maximum 'official' refresh rate for my current screen mode is 72Hz, but it doesn't complain about 75Hz, so that's what I use normally (when Windows doesn't keep choosing to arbitrarily default back to 60Hz)
09-18-2003 at 12:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Monitor refresh rate DROD crash (0)  
So, if you change the refresh rate when DROD isn't open, does it work okay? I mean, it seems like a lot of graphical programs would have issues with changing the refresh rate while they were running, but what do I know...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-18-2003 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
I saw this same thing today too, in fact. I'm betting that after a screen change that display memory might have changed, and DROD is suddenly writing to different (i.e. the old) display memory, so drawing updates are no longer visible on screen. That's just a hunch...not sure whether it's true, or whether it's a situation that's easy to detect or fix.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-18-2003 at 04:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Monitor refresh rate DROD crash (0)  
It would be a good fix. I won't be the last noob to try this, given the way XP deals with monitor refresh rates. And just to reiterate, upping the refresh rate causes a blank screen (recoverable, but could catch people out) but reducing it will crash DROD.
09-18-2003 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Does this happen in other SDL apps as well, or is it just DROD ? If you don't have any other SDL games, you could get some from the list at www.libsdl.org ;)

Speculation time.. If the problem is that this changes the video memory, and if it generates an SDL_ResizeEvent, it might be possible to fix by polling for that and calling SDL_SetVideoMode again. I'm not sure if it does, though, and the SDL_ResizeEvent might be disabled since the DROD window isn't resizable. Also, it would only work if windows doesn't call other parts of DROD while the screen is (temporarily) unavailable, which it probably will.

[Edited by trick on 09-19-2003 at 12:50 AM GMT: stuff]
09-19-2003 at 12:34 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Monitor refresh rate DROD crash
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com