Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Korgath's Arena v2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Korgath
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
IP: Logged

File: Korgaths Arena v2.hold (3.4 KB)
Downloaded 117 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold: Korgath's Arena v2 (0)  
Basically it's killing stuff. Each room tends to be a locked in arena where you hafta fight a specific set up of monsters. I thought it was pretty cool. Tell me what you guys think. I have personally solved every room and I find it of medium to semi hard difficulty

Edit: New Version! 2 whole new rooms and one inspired room. 5N has been completely redone too. Once again tell me what ya think

[Edited by Korgath on 09-10-2003 at 10:58 AM]
09-09-2003 at 12:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: New Hold: Korgath's Arena (0)  
Fun. The rooms start with a few somewhat challanging, but rather banal "figure out the right movement pattern" puzzles, but then the last two rooms become more interesting and varied.

A comment on 5N:

Click here to view the secret text

09-09-2003 at 02:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Korgath wrote:
Basically it's killing stuff. Each room tends to be a locked in arena where you hafta fight a specific set up of monsters. I thought it was pretty cool. Tell me what you guys think. I have personally solved every room and I find it of medium to semi hard difficulty

Fun diversion.

E : Cakewalk

1N : Took me a while to figure out how not to get trapped. I guess I should be expert at it from playing through the Arena, but it still takes a little experimentation for me.

2N : Likewise

3N : Haha. Difficult! Well, there's a technique...

4N :

Can anyone complete this room in less than 146 moves?

5N : Echoing Eytanz comments here.

6N : A nice challenge. The major source of tension in DROD seems to be dealing with stuff coming at you from multiple directions.

7N : Likewise. I enjoyed this one.

8N : More please! :)
09-09-2003 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
A fun lunch hour hold. 3N gave me the most trouble, but mostly because I was trying to play it with one hand. :eyes The next hardest was 7N, because...

Looking forward to more...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-09-2003 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109

File: KA The Arena 4N Victory123.demo (836 bytes)
Downloaded 58 times.
icon Re: Re: New Hold: Korgath's Arena (0)  
StuartK wrote:
4N :

123 sounds doable; perhaps a timed arena hold should be built soon :devil

09-10-2003 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109

File: KA The Arena 7N Victory.demo (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 63 times.
icon Re: Re: New Hold: Korgath's Arena (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:

Looking forward to more...
Game on,

09-10-2003 at 06:56 AM
StuartK

File: KA The Arena 4N Victory113.demo (778 bytes)
Downloaded 64 times.
icon Re: Re: Re: New Hold: Korgath's Arena (0)  
levelthirteen wrote:
StuartK wrote:
4N :

123 sounds doable;

113 :D It took me a number of variations of 116, then 115, to get there (and it shows in the demo ;) ) I'm thinking less is pretty unlikely, but I can probably find a hat if I'm wrong *grin*

Gah, this has given me a real taste for efficient solutions now. Looks like it may be almost time to replay Dugan again... Damn this addiction :eyes

perhaps a timed arena hold should be built soon :devil

I actually tried this with a copy of 4N here (a snake that releases 4 goblins at the top at a set time - not perfect, but if you're too slow, they can definitely make things extraordinarily difficult) Since I've attached the demo, there's not much point posting it (though it's available on request, and if Korgath is OK with me releasing it - given editing rights were disabled) It would be quite the most evil thing for someone going into such a room blind...
09-10-2003 at 07:19 AM
Korgath
Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually amazed that so many people played and liked it.

4N could be spiffed up a bit because I think it's a tad lame after the begining if you take your time. The snake idea is pretty cool and I'd consider tossing that in there.

5N didn't work out how I intended but I wasn't really up for fixing it at the time either. I'll take another shot at making it how I wanted.

7N

I didn't actually think people would play it so I didn't give the editing rights. I really don't mind if you edit it or not I'll allow it in the next release.

Think that just about covers it. Once again thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Oh yea, 4N took me 161 moves. I'll try to shave that down.
Edit 2: Make that 119

[Edited by Korgath on 09-10-2003 at 07:53 AM]

[Edited by Korgath on 09-10-2003 at 08:21 AM]
09-10-2003 at 07:41 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Heck Stuart you move like greased lightning never have I seen Beethro move that fast.
09-10-2003 at 08:56 AM
Korgath

File: Korgaths Arena v2.hold (3.4 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
icon Re: New Hold: Korgath's Arena v2 (0)  
Just in case you didn't notice, you can dl the new version at the top OR right here

Edit: Put the right file up

[Edited by Korgath on 09-10-2003 at 11:00 AM]
09-10-2003 at 10:59 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I'm wondering if anyone has formulated a general strategy for fighting those big groups of roaches. I always have to play around with them until I find a way to get enough slack.

-Erik

09-11-2003 at 04:00 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I passed those two early rooms on the first or second try just by knowing that moving horizontally with my sword diagonal does wonders for thinning out a horde at the same time as it compresses it down to a manageable width. You just need to start early enough that you don't get backed into a wall. There were definitely some good lessons in that "Arena" hold.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-11-2003 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Korgath
I got a question for you guys. I kinda wanna break it up into floors or something but I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that. Maybe like a certain enemy type per floor? Maybe I should just keep going with the straight line idea? What do you think? I'm planning on adding a bunch more rooms but I bet people who have played it a couple times would rather not run though the entire thing. Tell me what you think. How would you guys break it up?
09-13-2003 at 08:42 AM
Oneiromancer
My philosophy on floors is kind of similar to Dugan's Dungeon. If there is a theme binding your rooms together, like a specific monster, then you should put them all on one level and you can have lots of rooms. Since they are all thematically linked the player is continuously thinking about dealing with that monster so it isn't as hard. However, if all the rooms on a floor are different, then there shouldn't be so many, because the player will be starting over again a lot while learning to deal with each new situation and so the floor will take a long time without needing a lot of rooms. This seems to be the way in Dugan's...the floors introducing monsters or types of puzzles are bigger than the ones with more variety, at least I think so.

Game on,

09-13-2003 at 11:59 PM
StuartK
Variations on a theme are good, but try not to be too set on providing very similar rooms or the player may get bored (I don't think I'd want to play 10 rooms in a row which are simply dealing with different roach formations, or eyeball formations, unless there are some other factors present to spice things up) It might not matter if the rooms can be completed fairly quickly though *shrug*

Difficulty-wise, you could either go for increasing difficulty throughout the level (get the player used to a concept, and keep pushing it further and further) or else intersperse difficult rooms with moderate ones, pacing things (something like the equivalent of end of level boss and mini-bosses)

Layout. If rooms aren't incredibly difficult, your current scheme of one after another works OK (and it certainly saves on boring running backwards and forwards) If you're going to have rooms of exceeding difficulty, it might make sense to break things up a little - give the player a choice of puzzles, or make some puzzles optional, so they can leave the one they're stuck on for a while, and come back to it later.

If you're keeping to your simple arena format, and going from easy-difficult, it might be an idea to have an entrance area, giving the player a choice of arenas based on each different theme. Exiting the hold only after all arenas have been completed would present a building challenge though.

BTW, it took me many, many attempts to complete the last eyeball puzzle in v2. About the most difficult of such puzzles I've encountered so far. Great stuff :)
09-14-2003 at 06:54 AM
Skylancer64
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
How in the world do you beat room 3N? The most I can get is one goblin, but the other one ends up behind me where I die next turn.

10-25-2003 at 02:31 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Like most rooms in this hold, beating this one depends on knowing how the DROD assymetries work - mirror images of the same formation work differently. In this room, there is only one corner which you can kill the goblins at.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that now that I've posted this someone will chime in and show me that I was totally off-base about this, and that you can solve this room in other ways too. That's what usually happens. But the way I wrote in the hidden text works.

[Edited by eytanz on 10-25-2003 at 03:26 PM GMT]

10-25-2003 at 03:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
billbuckner
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57

File: VictoryLeftCorner.demo (648 bytes)
Downloaded 54 times.
You can kill one in the top left, then one on the right wall.
10-26-2003 at 12:17 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Korgath's Arena v2
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No