Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : I just got a PS2.
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
IP: Logged
icon Re: I just got a PS2. (0)  
i dont think anyone has mention jak 3 yet, but i think it is the best of the series, and if you like tony hawk games, I'd suggest getting american wasteland, I think it is better than project 8, and it's only like $10.

03-11-2007 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
Tony Hawk 2 was probably the best of the series, and conveniently it should be dirt cheap if you can find it.

Tony 4's not bad either, should be easier to find.

03-11-2007 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I'd go for THUG2, honestly, it was pretty awesome. THPS4 was okay, but man, you pretty much bit it on the female voices.
03-12-2007 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
I will now also second the recommendation of Guitar Hero. HOWEVER. If you possibly can, try the guitar controller before you buy the game. For me it renders the process of playing sufficiently complicated that I lose any chance of meeting the rhythm. I bomb out well before completing even one song. It's just too much to manage with precise timing.

The PS2 controller, on the other hand, works like a dream for me. (I've yet to perfect any songs, but I've gotten as high as 93% of the notes hit.) So, seriously...see if the guitar controller is right for you first. Because if it's not, you're going to feel awfully silly having shelled out an extra $30 easy for a controller you'll never use.

[Last edited by malkav11 at 03-14-2007 09:50 AM : redundancy]
03-14-2007 at 09:49 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Blasphemy.

Are you, perchance, hitting the fret buttons as you need them, or are you holding down the fret buttons you know you'll need later?

03-14-2007 at 03:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
malkav11
Rank Points: 59
Having it be a two step process (hold a fret or frets, strum) vs. a one-step process (push a button) destroyed my ability to play the game. Yes, admittedly, I probably should have been looking ahead and holding frets a bit ahead of time, but I've already seen several sections where the notes required change fast enough that I'd really need to be able to do it at that time rather than in advance. And I just can't. (And yes, I've been able to nail those sections with the PS2 controller.)
03-14-2007 at 05:08 PM
forrestfire
Rank Points: 93
An excellent game that goes somewhat unnoticed in the ps2 library is Stuntman. ;)
At first sight it might seem like any other driving game, but the gameplay is highly original.

The stunts in the game are difficult. Some have taken me up to three or four hours in order to complete. I was never really frustrated though. It's fun to try to get a turn just right or make a jump at just the right angle. Each stunt is imaginitive and most have a part that distinguishes them from the others.

While playing through Stuntman, it actually reminded me of Webfoot DROD on the rooms that take hundreds of moves. Each stunt has the same initial set up and if you make a mistake, you probably have to start over.

03-15-2007 at 10:36 PM
lakibuk
icon Re: I just got a PS2. (+1)  
Resident Evil 4 (although i only know the Gamecube version)
And don't forget about SSX Tricky / SSX 3. Great game even if you are not really into racing/sports games.
Beyond Good & Evil (judging from the GC version again).

btw: Am i the only one who found Tony Hawk's 4 insanely hard in the later levels?

[Last edited by lakibuk at 03-16-2007 09:16 PM]
03-16-2007 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BDR
Rank Points: 106
icon Re: I just got a PS2. (+1)  
Fear not, Beyond Good and Evil rocks on the PS2. Only problem with it (if any can be imagined as such) is that it is short, even for a slow gamer like me (I think I've got about 99% of it finished [main story is completely done, only one or two animal photos IIRC are missing really], and I've got around 10 hours down on the savegame). Also, the very possible lack of a sequel may leave you quite disappointed at the teaser ending. It is most certainly at least worth a rental ASAP, if not a buy.

[Last edited by BDR at 03-17-2007 12:30 AM]
03-17-2007 at 12:28 AM
lakibuk
Yes, it's a bit short and rather easy. On the other hand quite relaxing. And it should be available rather cheap now.
You are not that much of a slow player, it took me more than 10h to finish the game, maybe 15h or more, without getting the animal photos.

[Last edited by lakibuk at 03-17-2007 09:40 AM]
03-17-2007 at 09:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BDR
Rank Points: 106
There is no doubt in my mind as to how high quality a game it is; that's why I bought it (much like one of the GameTunnel reviewers, I'm leaning on the exact buy edge of my try scale here :P). Nevertheless, some may prefer a bit more meat in their games so it's worth mentioning.
03-17-2007 at 06:02 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : I just got a PS2.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com