Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Minor movement order feature
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
IP: Logged
icon Minor movement order feature (+1)  
This should be used for architects who don't like unexpected things(like movement order :)) to ruin their beautiful puzzles.

To be more exact, this would be a small scheckbox in the corner of the editor which would force any monster that can't move(or can't move diagonally) because of another monster to only move after that other monster has moved. Monster that would have a wall as an impediment, would behave the same as now.

The only problem I see would be with a group of snakes, maybe together with other monsters, which create some kind of "cycle", so that none can move because of another.

But I believe that our beloved flawlessly consistent programmers could handle that little detail :).
03-02-2007 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Minor movement order feature (+2)  
While I can see the appeal of this feature, implementing it is a really bad idea. Simply put, it will mean that there will be two different possible behaviors for monsters, *neither* of which is entirely predictable by the player without movement order information. So, it will make the gameplay experience far less consistent, *and* will make it virtually impossible to deduce the movement order since A - you won't know what mode the room is in, and B - even if that data is made available to the player, in the mode you suggest then the interaction is a lot more complicated - just because A moves before B doesn't tell you that A will always move before B.

03-02-2007 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Minor movement order feature (0)  
I'm sorry for the minor necro, but I just took some time and gave this a good thought. There could be a small sign somewhere on the screen to show what mode the room is in. And I believe it would be completely predictable. To not confuse the players we could describe it as "every monster moves unless completely blocked" and anyone who would desire complete information could visit the site.
03-09-2007 at 08:53 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
It looks like one of those "fixing what ain't broke" suggestions... but I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. We don't need another mode for room movement, but we may need a tool for the architect to select a group of roaches and a place and say "order them so that they move as a block if the player is in that place". Wouldn't that help a lot?

03-09-2007 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
The only problem with a monster movement order manipulator is that it adds more potential for architect abuse, in that movement order manipulator puzzles would become more common. But I don't think that will be too much of a problem - I, for one, would like to see this.
03-09-2007 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Minor movement order feature
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No