Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Has anyone else noticed...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
IP: Logged
icon Has anyone else noticed... (0)  
How freakin\' huge Dugan\'s dungeon has to be?

Not only to have immense rooms where a five foot long (!) cockroach looks really little, and not only having sometimes seven of these such rooms in a row, but the height! Many levels of the dungeon have HUGE GAPING PITS and Beethro climbs down stairs to get to the next level. I\'m thinking that that\'s a lot of stairs.

Not that there\'s anything wrong with this, just something I\'ve noticed.

03-11-2003 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Has anyone else noticed... (+1)  
zex20913 wrote:
How freakin\' huge Dugan\'s dungeon has to be?
I agree, the proportions are staggering.

And Beethro can always get his sword over the tops of walls and doors, but he can\'t climb over them. Wut up wit dat?

-Erik

03-11-2003 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
icon Re: Has anyone else noticed... (0)  
Hmm... *gets out his calculator*

KNOWN: Rooms in DROD measure 38 x 32 squares.
KNOWN: There are 344 (accessible) rooms in Dugan\'s Dungeon (It\'s easy to count in Caravel DROD).

ASSUMPTION: The average roach is 5 feet long.
ASSUMPTION: A roach perfectly fits in the square they stand in.

CALCULATION: One square is 25 square feet. (5 * 5) (Beethro must be a real lardass.)
CALCULATION: There are 1216 squares in one room. (38 * 32)
CALCULATION: There are 418,304 squares in DROD. (1216 * 344)

CALCULATION:
418,304 * 25 = 10,457,600 sq. ft.

Of course, 10,457,600 sq. ft. is the measurement of potential floorspace in Dugan\'s Dungeon. There are walls, pits, or other obstacles. The actual amount of accessible floorspace isn\'t worth me trying to figure out. I\'d have to find out how many squares in each of the 344 rooms aren\'t obstacles. No thanks.
03-12-2003 at 02:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Rough size of a soccer field 64 x 100 = 6400 sq yards = 57600 sq ft.

Therefore the dungeon is approx 182 soccer fields in size.

03-12-2003 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
10,457,600 square feet? When I grow up and I\'m the richest person in the universe, I\'ll have to make a dungeon so big that Dugan\'s could fit into one room. Imagine trying to clear out 344 of those rooms!

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
03-12-2003 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Okay, I just re-played through DROD, trying to total everything up. Here\'s what I came up with:

173948 Floor spaces
 62399 Pits
  1371 Stairs
145524 Walls
  3373 Doors
  1620 Open Yellow Doors
 10770 Trapdoors
   115 Mimic Potions
   655 N Arrows
   252 NE Arrows
   720 E Arrows
   144 SE Arrows
   545 S Arrows
   176 SW Arrows
   372 W Arrows
   113 NW Arrows
     2 Invisibilty Potion
    52 Scrolls
   858 Orbs
 13557 Tar
   213 Checkpoints

1862 Roaches
   429 Queen Roaches
   216 Goblins
    12 Neathers
   209 WraithWings
  1089 Evil Eyes
  5725 Serpents
    78 Tar Mothers
   184 Tar Babies
   148 Brains
    85 Spiders

Whew, are my hands tired!
The numbers add up to more than 418,304 because I played through the hidden rooms that you can\'t really get to.

Hope I didn\'t mis-count, maybe I should do it all again to make sure.

Edit: Second Tar renamed to Tar Babies

Also, serpents really means squares occupied by serpents, not individual serpents.

[Edited by Schik on 03-11-2003 at 11:18 PM GMT]

03-12-2003 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
The numbers add up to more than 418,304 because I played through the hidden rooms that you can\'t really get to.

Hope I didn\'t mis-count, maybe I should do it all again to make sure.
Yes, please do it again, we just wont be able to live without knowing for sure that there are 209 WraithWings in the dungeon. ;) Wow, you must have the patience of a rock to do all that.

BTW, by hidden rooms do you mean there\'s more hidden beyond the level warp rooms? How\'s that work?

[Edited by Tscott on 03-12-2003 at 08:14 AM GMT]

03-12-2003 at 02:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
The man is a coder. Nuff said.

03-12-2003 at 02:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Has anyone else noticed... (0)  
Tscott wrote:
Wow, you must have the patience of a rock to do all that.
And it took me less than three hours from when Clayton posted the numbers that inspired me to do this. Want to know how I did it so quick?
Click here to view the secret text

BTW, by hidden rooms do you mean there\'s more hidden beyond the level warp rooms? How\'s that work?
There are rooms that Beethro cannot physically get to, unless he\'s using the editor - you\'ll see in the next release.

03-12-2003 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Sokko
Rank Points: 336
Now, you have to remember that when Beethro estimated the roaches were five feet long, he was just looking into a dark area after coming in from the light, and the shapes were indistinct. Also, Smitemasters are not known to be good at math, especially in moments of surprise and disbelief. So, let\'s use the more reliable measurements of Beethro himself.

My own width from shoulder to shoulder is 1 foot 4 inches. Beethro is a much meatier guy, so we\'ll say he has a shoulder width of 2 feet. If you hold your arms out in front of you as if you\'re holding a sword, as Beethro is, the distance from the end of the farthest fist to your back is about 1 foot 6 inches. You and I would, obviously, not be able to support such a sword unless our arms were quite a bit close to our bodies. Beethro, however, is an accomplished Smitemaster and has built up the muscles in his arms, so it\'s safe to say that his arms could extend another 6 inches outward and still maintain perfect control of the sword.

Now what we have is a 2x2 tile, or 4 square feet. Recalculating, it\'s safe to assume that Dugan\'s dungeon contains approximately 695,792 square feet of accessible floorspace, with 1,673,216 square feet being the total area that the dungeon takes up (potential floorspace). So accessible floorspace is a disappointing 12 soccer fields in size, and the total space is a more respectable 29 soccer fields. BTW, how big is a football field? I can identify more easily with that size. (well obviously it\'s 100 yards long, but how wide?)

Also, the dungeon isn\'t as deep as you think it is. Beethro is lighting torches on his way down so he can see, right? So the floors he has not yet descended to are still in darkness. Those pits reflect that. Let\'s say each floor is three stories high. A fall from that height would certainly disable you enough to greatly hamper your smiting abilities, so Beethro doesn\'t dare jump down. Therefore, the dungeon is about 75 stories deep, which is still pretty extreme, and Beethro only has to walk down three flights of stairs to get to the next level. I\'m guessing that Dugan didn\'t plan on his dungeon being that deep; the \'Neather probably built most of the lower floors.

03-15-2003 at 01:29 PM
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
If one is counting 12 neathers, then one also has to count 350 beethros or so.

03-16-2003 at 07:10 AM
Sokko
Rank Points: 336
Wouldn\'t matter what monsters he counted, unless he counted only the uncovered floor tiles, which would throw off all of my calculations. Also, I think you really only need to count 25 Beethros, because the beginning of a level is the only time that a Beethro is created on the board for you in a way other than you walking to the next room.

03-16-2003 at 12:21 PM
zex20913
The neather was counted in every room that he was in. Therefore, Beethro should get that same respect.

03-16-2003 at 05:03 PM
Schik
icon Re: Re: Has anyone else noticed... (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
The neather was counted in every room that he was in. Therefore, Beethro should get that same respect.
I was counting monsters - unless there\'s a story twist I missed, Beethro isn\'t a monster.

03-16-2003 at 08:49 PM
zex20913
Why else would he kill all of the baby roaches? Waaaa. ;)

03-16-2003 at 10:37 PM
averagemoe
Rank Points: 490
I was randomly looking through the links on the Chambers of Enlightenment page of that other site, and... wow... the original KDD really only contained two invisibility potions? Kind of makes me wonder if the Webfoot version didn't bother coding the rules for monsters other than roaches and evil eyes being affected.

10-21-2023 at 03:59 AM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2429
The hold description for Smallsome Swicks suggests this is, in fact, the case:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1715

10-21-2023 at 04:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4569
icon Re: Has anyone else noticed... (+2)  
Not only are there only two invisibility potions (in Third Level 1N1W and Fifth Level 2S), both rooms can be solved without taking them :P

10-21-2023 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Has anyone else noticed...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com