Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Build 41 Release Candidate
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Build 41 Release Candidate (0)  
The fourth release candidate is available for download and testing.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10939&release_id=182436

I've revised the smoke test a bit to hit a few areas that got changed. I left the old steps in because we still haven't hit all our target O/Ss with the smoke test.

I know this must be getting boring and repetitive, but please could you run through these steps and if successful, reply back to this post in the form of "Smoke test passed on Windows XP.", or whatever O/S(s) you ran the test on?

1. Install DROD and run it.

NEW STEPS

2. Launch DROD a second time using the start menu. This should just bring up the first DROD window. You shouldn't get two DRODs.
3. Exit DROD.
4. Open a folder named "DROD" by choosing "Run..." from the start menu and typing "c:\\program files\\drod". (You may have to create a new folder to do this.)
5. Launch DROD using the start menu. It should start like normal.

END OF NEW STEPS

6. Import 1.5 data if you got it.
7. Play through the a few rooms.
8. Switch between fullscreen and windowed modes.
9. Create a new hold and edit some rooms.
10. Export the hold.
11. Import the hold.

Some bugs reported from the last build were fixed (we think):

84880 BUG: stderr.txt shows up on desktop.
84878 BUG: Lose text and other data after corruption.
84549 BUG: Click on empty list registers a selection made
84372 IsAppAlreadyRunning() finds false positives
84285 BUG: Rooms wrong on restore screen

If DROD exits unexpectedly, please try to remember exactly what happened before it crashed (i.e. you pressed the export button, were prompted for a filepath, and it crashed after you hit the okay button). I have a feeling there is at least one bad piece of code that is making DROD crash. We tried to fix it so that the consequences of crashing would be less horrific than the bug where all the text is missing, but I don't think we addressed the initial cause of the problem.

-Erik

09-05-2003 at 01:24 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
icon Re: Build 41 Release Candidate (0)  
Smoke test passed on Win2000
09-05-2003 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
OK, I'm confused now. I didn't follow the smoke test exactly (I didn't exit from the first instance of DROD at step 3 above) I guess this still counts as a bug though, but not, as I first stated, a failure of the smoke test as described. We really need a *blush* smiley. I'm getting a headache with all those :twak 's

Failed on Windows XP Pro SP1

1. I installed in d:/games/drodb41 (I have a number of other builds also installed, all in d:games)

2. The executable ran at the end of the install process and is present on my system showing the 'Upgrading Data' screen

3. First two tests passed successfully, I also tried double clicking on the DROD icon on the desktop, but nothing got a second instance

4. I created a folder "c:/program files/drod" and opened this folder

5. Running DROD from the start menu yields a second instance, also showing the 'Upgrading Data' screen

Point of interest, in the task manager, one instance of DROD shows up using 18MB of memory, the other using 13MB.

Previous to the above, I ought to mention, I had installed build 41 and was having a play around (with no problems other than the snake editing bug I'd previously posted about) but since I didn't run the smoke test, I uninstalled it, removed the folder, and reinstalled it to do so. Nothing seems suspicious in the registry, just a reference to the (correct) install folder on d:

[Edited by StuartK on 09-05-2003 at 02:41 AM]

[Edited by StuartK on 09-05-2003 at 04:24 AM GMT: Corrected pathnames smileys created by the pathname editing bug]
09-05-2003 at 03:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Re: Build 41 Release Candidate (0)  
StuartK wrote:
5. Running DROD from the start menu yields a second instance, also showing the 'Upgrading Data' screen

Oh man, I can't believe I left this big, gaping hole - if you have drod open AND another window named drod, it might not find the open drod. Arrrgh. I'm on the case.

09-05-2003 at 03:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Okay, here's something interesting that I did...or perhaps it isn't interesting, and it is something that should be obvious would happen. Anyway, make of it what you will.

So, my fiancee got The Sims: Superstar expansion pack for her birthday, and after I installed it everything got all screwy. I checked out some Usenets posts and found something that said to change the color depth from 32 bit to 16 bit. So I did, and it perfectly fixed the strange graphical glitches. Now fast forward to a few minutes ago, when I did the same thing to my laptop, except that DROD was open (but minimized). When I resized DROD, there was just a portion of the desktop background the size of the DROD window that I was able to move around but couldn't interact with. Clicking on the X at the corner of the window closed it down without asking me if I wanted to quit. But DROD still works perfectly fine.

Anyway, I doubt that this is a bug, since it seems like changing your color depth while a program is open is asking for trouble (although Winamp had no problem), but I thought I would mention it quietly anyway.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-08-2003 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Build 41 Release Candidate
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com