Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The ZelDROD Team (Progress, screenshots, and demos will be posted here.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
IP: Logged
icon The ZelDROD Team (0)  
Okay, so a few people have decided to get together and remake the Zelda series of games, into DROD! Now progress on this game is waiting on TCB, but we will start making the Overworld, then import it into TCB so we won't have to work on that later.

Here are the list of people working on ZelDROD so far. I guess we should only have a maximum of 6, or 7, or this might get a bit confusing. If there are still free spots, PM me if you want to join, with your DROD strong points, weak points (be honest now ;) and which Zelda games you have beaten/have good progress in. Well, here's the list so far (secreted to save space)
Click here to view the secret text

Beta Testers:
Someone Else

Oh yeah, we might need to share our E-mail addresses, team. I kinda don't have CaravelNet yet, so we have to get our progress and ideas around some other way.

Keep posting,

02-10-2007 at 01:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: The ZelDROD Team (0)  
I've beaten all of them except Adventure of Link, and the CD-i games. This includes the second quest of the original, and the Master Quest of Ocarina. I'm working on finding the CD-i games to try them, but I have not found them.
02-10-2007 at 02:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Beta Testers:
Someone Else
I could be a beta tester if you wish. I doubt I could help make the hold I haven't beaten too much Zelda, (only the Wii one) but I could help out with testing. :)
02-10-2007 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I share Ezlo's stats here, with the exception of trying to find the CD-i games, because I know they're not that great.

For the record, the games are:

Original
Original 2nd Quest
A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Minish Cap
Four Swords
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass (forthcoming)

I own a version of all of these, except for the Minish Cap, and Phantom Hourglass (for obvious reasons).

Edit: Also, be sure to have Casebier in the list. That overworld translation was fantastic.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 02-10-2007 02:40 PM]
02-10-2007 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Casebier
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 283
I'm a little upset that I wasn't included on the initial list. :(
For the record, I've played and beaten all of the Zelda on that list up to and including Majora's Mask. I've also beated the Zelda Game&Watch. I have not played the Zelda watch, nor Zelda BS. Note- these last three games weren't included in the list of all of the Zelda games in the previous post.

As mentioned in the previous thread, I'm Strong on Scripting, Art and Creativity, Good at Plot, Okay at normal rooms and puzzles, and probably Bad at Epic Battles (Bosses). I also have a pretty good voice and have a musical background, but don't ask me to compose anything. :)

[Last edited by Casebier at 02-10-2007 07:17 PM]
02-10-2007 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Oh yeah! Zelda BS! I have a friend who has it, but he won't let me play it. But Zelda Game & Watch, haven't heard of that one!

I'm going to start to work on a LttP world map. See you in a few days! :D
02-10-2007 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Oh wow.

I just.

Wow.

02-10-2007 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Could you elaborate? Are you amused? Confused? Confused and angered? Do you think this whole idea is stupid? We want to know!
02-10-2007 at 10:27 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
No...I don't think I'll elaborate. I...No, I just.

Wow.
02-10-2007 at 10:32 PM
Ezlo
A www... Well let us know when you're willing to admit that we all are idiots. :)
02-10-2007 at 10:42 PM
Casebier

File: ZelDROD-Status2.png (36.2 KB)
Downloaded 341 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The ZelDROD Team (from My ZelDROD Thread) (0)  
I thought I'd copy the two pictures from my other thread to this one...

[Last edited by Casebier at 02-11-2007 02:31 AM]
02-11-2007 at 02:18 AM
Casebier

File: ZelDROD-World.png (5.9 KB)
Downloaded 339 times.
icon Re: The ZelDROD Team (+1)  
The first picture is how my Upgrades status screen looks. I cut the resolution in half to save file size. (Attached to previous message)
What I did to convert Zelda 1 Overworld map to DROD was the following:
1. I found a copy of the Overworld map on the Internet (can't find the location anymore) Original Dimensions-4096x1408
2. I split the map into four columns for easier viewing. (1024x1408)
3. The size of a Zelda 1 screen is 16x11 sprites. The size of a DROD screen is 38x32 sprites. Since each of my Quartiles was 4x8 screens, I resampled each file to 152x256 pixels(=4 x 38, 8 x 32), keeping the pixel resolution the same(96).
4. I then used that resample map to copy the Overworld.
5. Here's a screenshot of the entire map as it appears in the Editor's minimap window: (attached to this message)

The size of a Zelda: ALttP screen is 16x12 sprites. Of course, those screens can scroll, so the same method for translating the map won't work as in Zelda 1.

[Last edited by Casebier at 02-16-2007 07:49 PM : removed embedded image tags]
02-11-2007 at 02:24 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
Uh-oh.
I just realized that the game I had played was not, in fact, The Wind Waker, but Link's Awakening instead. It seemed to be the right game...
Anyways, from the list of games beaten at the top of the page, I guess this diversifies the games played a little. I also have easy access to Majora's Mask and have played quite a bit of it.
I will get started on a basic (ugly-looking, but functional) map of Link's Awakening.

EDIT:
Oh, and my email is in my profile.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-13-2007 01:15 AM]
02-13-2007 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Casebier
Aye, that would be the Wind Fish Waker. :)

02-13-2007 at 05:14 AM
Someone Else
:lol

[Last edited by Someone Else at 02-14-2007 07:00 AM]
02-13-2007 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
I have a question. Should I post my progress files here, or should I just send them to people? I have not been able to figure out how to put a password on them yet, although that would probably be best. Anyone know how?
02-14-2007 at 10:48 PM
Ezlo

File: One Girl in All the World.rar (5.5 MB)
Downloaded 50 times.
I found a password option in WinRAR. Try this file, the password is "Treant". Let's hope it works.
02-14-2007 at 11:28 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Ezlo wrote:
I found a password option in WinRAR. Try this file, the password is "Treant". Let's hope it works.
Works perfectly for me!
02-15-2007 at 12:48 AM
Ezlo
Well, we can each have a password that we use on each of our own holds, and we never change them. Then we PM them passwords to each other and we write in down in a safe place. Then we all have instant access to private holds on a public board!
02-15-2007 at 01:02 AM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
By the way, I'm almost done with the First Level of a ZelDROD Smite and Watch hold, that I started even though I'm not officially part of the team. Is it okay if I post it here, or should I PM it to somebody?

02-15-2007 at 08:12 AM
Casebier
Another option for our sharing our holds would be to set up a Yahoo Group. In fact, I've done just that. As I find the email addresses of the rest of the people in our group, I'll send out invitations.

[Last edited by Casebier at 02-16-2007 05:23 AM]
02-15-2007 at 07:37 PM
Sillyman
Okay, I'll post the first level there. Thanks.

02-15-2007 at 09:13 PM
Casebier
Nice rendition of the Zelda Game & Watch, Sillyman. :thumbsup
An idea for the rendition of the main baddy... Instead of him going "Ha", perhaps he could default to his hook pointing NW. Instead of "Ha", he rotates to the North, then rotates CCW twice to West. Finally, he rotates CW back to NW.

So, did you ever play the original handheld, or did you learn this from the Game & Watch Gallery for Gameboy?

02-16-2007 at 05:28 AM
Casebier

File: ZelDROD_Logo.jpg (9 KB)
Downloaded 317 times.
I've added a folder on the Yahoo site so that we can share any artwork, that we don't mind sharing, for the express purpose of including it in other ZelDROD holds. As you can see, I also whipped up a logo for the Yahoo Group page.
Click here to view the secret text

I'm posting this message here as opposed to there because I feel there is a better chance of all of you reading this here.

[Last edited by Casebier at 02-16-2007 07:51 PM]
02-16-2007 at 07:48 PM
Sillyman
Game and Watch Gallery 4/Advance.
Nice idea. Anyways, I'm having a hard time getting the boss to be difficult without becoming impossible. Also, if anyone wants to add on more levels using the existing template, they can, just stick to the real maps of the game, which can be found at http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/game_and_watch_gallery_4_zelda.txt. I'm taking a break from the tedious scripting.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 02-17-2007 12:31 AM]
02-16-2007 at 11:59 PM
Casebier
Well, since the dragon attacks you with his tail, perhaps have the "tail" NPC move diagonally along a path, with a 1,2, or 3 turn wait at the top before moving downward again.

02-17-2007 at 05:20 AM
Ezlo
I can't get into the Yahoo group yet. Anyone have an idea why?
02-17-2007 at 03:43 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I just noticed this thread. And I think I'm going to stop my attempt at doing a ZelDROD now because Casebier is way way ahead of me, and I was trying to do the same thing (with that overland map). I think you guys are going to be very interested in a lot of the new 3.0 elements and how they can help you realize this project so I don't want to slow you down, and I can't go into details, but...try to work on things that you don't think will change much when 3.0 comes out.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-17-2007 at 04:16 PM
Casebier
Hmm... what I don't think will change much in 3.0:
Orbs can toggle, open, or close doors.

What I do think will change much in 3.0:
Everything else! :D

If it helps, I'll sign a nondisclosure... Or we could help you beta-test it some more. :)

02-18-2007 at 07:49 PM
Someone Else
Casebier wrote:
If it helps, I'll sign a nondisclosure... Or we could help you beta-test it some more. :)

That's a great idea!
02-19-2007 at 02:23 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The ZelDROD Team (Progress, screenshots, and demos will be posted here.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com