Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Sounds stopped working in OS X 2.13
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
WalkerWhite
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Sounds stopped working in OS X 2.13 (0)  
I purchased the latest build for OS X recently. I have an Intel laptop with a Windows subdirectory (which I can run under both BootCamp and Parallels), so I could have gotten the game for Windows, but I prefer to keep as much in OS X as possible.

The sounds no longer seem to work, and as far as I can tell, I have the latest version. I don't see any errors to the Console, and do not know where else the program would dump error messages to.
01-30-2007 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Sounds stopped working in OS X 2.13 (+2)  
I have had this problem too and I was given instructions on how to fix it. I will find the relevant part of the old thread and post it here. I do remember I had to do something in Terminal, the prospect of which scared the whatsits off me, :w00t but in the end it was relatively simple. :)

I'll go search.

Edit: HERE it is. The instructions are in two posts from 'mrimer', near the bottom of the first page and near the top of the second. You might want to have a quick read through some of the rest of it though, to avoid what happened to me first time I tried to cure lost sound, ( I lost all of my Holds, all of my progress, everything!! :weep )

I hope this helps. Good luck with it!

[Last edited by Elfstone at 01-30-2007 08:58 PM]
01-30-2007 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Sounds stopped working in OS X 2.13 (+1)  
Further note to those using a UNIX terminal (Macs, Linux, basically anything other than Windows): you can't ruin your computer if you don't type anything that doesn't start with "su", and if you're really paranoid don't start anything with "rm" either. If you seriously are scared, "mv" might be a bad choice, but it can be undone.
01-30-2007 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
coppro wrote:
Further note to those using a UNIX terminal (Macs, Linux, basically anything other than Windows): you can't ruin your computer if you don't type anything that doesn't start with "su", and if you're really paranoid don't start anything with "rm" either. If you seriously are scared, "mv" might be a bad choice, but it can be undone.

If you use 'mv' to move one file over another, the 2nd file is deleted, just as if you used 'rm'. The same goes for 'cp'. There are lots of ways of losing files without using 'rm' or 'mv', too.
01-31-2007 at 01:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Chris wrote:
coppro wrote:

If you use 'mv' to move one file over another, the 2nd file is deleted, just as if you used 'rm'. The same goes for 'cp'. There are lots of ways of losing files without using 'rm' or 'mv', too.
I agree... there a lots of ways doing damage. How about a "yes > filename"? That would also fill the entire partition rather rapidly.

No... my advice is to type what is suggested by those giving the advice :) Those are real safe commands.
01-31-2007 at 12:39 PM
WalkerWhite
Elfstone wrote:
I have had this problem too and I was given instructions on how to fix it. I will find the relevant part of the old thread and post it here. I do remember I had to do something in Terminal, the prospect of which scared the whatsits off me, :w00t but in the end it was relatively simple. :)

No help. I am old Unix guy so I have no fear of the Terminal -- I know exactly what this is going on in this thread.

First of all, my version is 2.13 so there is no hidden directory. I made one anyway, however. I put the files from that thread in my package contents and the hidden directory that I made. No help.

I used BBEdit to switch between Windows, Unix, and (old OS 9) Mac linefeeds, as there was some suspicion that this might be the culprit. I also tried every data encoding I could think of, from UTF-8 to Mac OS Roman. Nothing.

I still have no sound.

I have also reinstalled from the .dmg I downloaded the purchase. Nothing.

However, the discussion did lead me to explore the ~/Library folder. This is where Mac programs should put there stuff, not hidden directories like in Unix. And sure enough, there is a Caravel directory in ~/Library/Application Support. That seems to be the new location of my localized drod.ini. However, again using the file from that thread does nothing.

That is also where I found my drod.err file. Here are the contents:

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/29/07 4:40PM ***
SDL_Mixer Error: Unable to create audio channel
*** 1/29/07 5:14PM ***
Assertion error in line 1402 of ../../DRODLib/CurrentGame.cpp: "this->dwLevelKills >= this->wMonsterKills"
Assertion error in line 1402 of ../../DRODLib/CurrentGame.cpp: "this->dwLevelKills >= this->wMonsterKills"
*** 1/29/07 5:52PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/29/07 9:53PM ***
*** 1/29/07 11:23PM ***
*** 1/29/07 11:25PM ***
*** 1/29/07 11:27PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/30/07 1:39PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/30/07 2:06PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/30/07 2:10PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/30/07 4:31PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/31/07 4:35PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/31/07 4:40PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/31/07 4:40PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/31/07 4:42PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/31/07 4:43PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/31/07 4:44PM ***
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/31/07 4:44PM ***

01-31-2007 at 09:59 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Sounds stopped working in OS X 2.13 (0)  
There's another user I'm troubleshooting this issue with on the Mac right now too. They had the 2.0.13 Mac demo version, and then when they d/led the full version, they said the sound stopped working. He has the same message in his drod.err file, but I don't know what's causing it. Might be an SDL_Mixer problem. I guess all I can say is that, if you figure this out, let me know so I can fix whatever bug is causing this.

Edit: one workaround for the savvy user is to download and install the 2.0.15 demo version from the Development board, but use the .dat files from the full version in its working directory (the one you mention above). Version 2.0.15 uses the FMOD sound library instead of SDL_Mixer, so it might not encounter whatever issue it is you're having.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-31-2007 11:55 PM]
01-31-2007 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
WalkerWhite
mrimer wrote:
Edit: one workaround for the savvy user is to download and install the 2.0.15 demo version from the Development board, but use the .dat files from the full version in its working directory (the one you mention above). Version 2.0.15 uses the FMOD sound library instead of SDL_Mixer, so it might not encounter whatever issue it is you're having.

Nope. This is the error I get now.

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/31/07 9:58PM ***
This is what happened while initializing sound:
FMOD.DLL version matches import library.
FSOUND_Init(44100, CHANNEL_COUNT, 0) failed.
FSOUND_Init(22050, CHANNEL_COUNT, 0) failed.
FSOUND_Init(11025, CHANNEL_COUNT, 0) failed.
FSOUND_Init(44100, SAMPLE_CHANNEL_COUNT, 0) failed.
FMOD Error #3: Error initializing output device.

I am running this on one of the newer MacBook Pros (Core2 Duo) if that helps.
02-01-2007 at 03:01 AM
WalkerWhite
icon Re: Sounds stopped working in OS X 2.13 (+3)  
Well, well, well...

I found the problem. The good news is that this is not a DROD bug. The bad news is that it is an OS X system-wide bug. I found out about it when another game stopped doing sounds correctly. It seems that this happens because the output frequency of the sound card occassionally gets screwed. Fortunately, the fix is easy and it is described here.

Which means that you should stop trying to hunt down this bug mrimer -- it ain't your fault.
02-08-2007 at 09:44 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Sounds stopped working in OS X 2.13 (0)  
WalkerWhite wrote:
Which means that you should stop trying to hunt down this bug mrimer -- it ain't your fault.
Phew! This is good to know. I'll pass word of this along. Maybe we (Caravel) should add mention of this in the troubleshooting FAQ.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-08-2007 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Sounds stopped working in OS X 2.13
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com