Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Dungeon (Partial editor for testing)
Page 3 of 12
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DGM
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 202
IP: Logged
icon Re: New puzzle game based on "Tower of the Sorcerer" (version 5, gameplay correction) (0)  
eytanz wrote:
The egg isn't in level 1, right?

Correct, it's not. What did you think it was?

[Last edited by DGM at 01-27-2007 05:35 AM]
01-27-2007 at 05:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: New puzzle game based on "Tower of the Sorcerer" (version 5, gameplay correction) (0)  
Oh, it occurred to me that you could be referring to the fact that the level 1 layout is the same as in ToS, but that wouldn't have been a very exciting Easter Egg.

I'm starting to suspect that the Easter Egg is in the tutorial because I can't find anything in the main game.

01-27-2007 at 05:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: New puzzle game based on "Tower of the Sorcerer" (version 5, gameplay correction) (+2)  
Click here to view the secret text

01-27-2007 at 08:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BenStandeven
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
icon Re: New puzzle game based on "Tower of the Sorcerer" (version 5, gameplay correction) (+1)  
I think you should be returned to the main menu when you die, as well as when you finish a dungeon.
01-27-2007 at 10:58 AM
DGM
...And RoboBob wins the first part. Have some rank points, Bob. :)

Now for the second part: what exactly does that refer to? For those who need to know where the egg is:

[Last edited by DGM at 01-27-2007 11:32 AM]
01-27-2007 at 11:25 AM
DGM
BenStandeven wrote:
I think you should be returned to the main menu when you die, as well as when you finish a dungeon.

I'll add that when I fix the ranged attack bug.

01-27-2007 at 11:30 AM
DGM
icon Re: New puzzle game based on "Tower of the Sorcerer" (version 5, gameplay correction) (+1)  
Version 6 is up. Changes:

Bugfix - being reduced to 0 or less life by a ranged attack did not cause you to die. Corrected.

Dying now returns you to the main menu rather than ending the game.

The confirmation menu that appears when you press escape (or otherwise try to close the game window) has been changed. You now have the additional option to return to the main menu rather than quit the game entirely.

The "Zombie" has been renamed "Zombie Orc" to reduce confusion regarding its sprite.

[Last edited by DGM at 01-27-2007 11:23 PM]
01-27-2007 at 11:05 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: New puzzle game based on "Tower of the Sorcerer" (version 6, bugfix and other tweaks) (0)  
I don't get it. By changing one of the money piles on level 4 from green to yellow it seems to me as if you now have to solve the game by slaying innocents (since you can't get enough money to bribe the necesarry monsters/innocents). Am I missing something?

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 01-28-2007 01:43 PM]
01-28-2007 at 01:42 PM
DGM
icon Re: New puzzle game based on "Tower of the Sorcerer" (version 6, bugfix and other tweaks) (0)  
Blondbeard wrote:
I don't get it. By changing one of the money piles on level 4 from green to yellow it seems to me as if you now have to solve the game by slaying innocents (since you can't get enough money to bribe the necesarry monsters/innocents). Am I missing something?

The point of level 6 is to force you to make a difficult choice in order to pass it. There are three ways (all costly in one way or another) to get through, and becoming a murderer is only one.

[Last edited by DGM at 01-28-2007 02:23 PM]
01-28-2007 at 02:21 PM
eytanz
Unless something additional changed from version 5 to 6, it is still possible to get past level 6 without killing any innocents.

01-28-2007 at 03:17 PM
eytanz
icon Re: New puzzle game based on "Tower of the Sorcerer" (version 6, bugfix and other tweaks) (+1)  
Actually, a question about level 6 (spoilery)-

01-28-2007 at 03:27 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Ahh... You can bribe vampires :)
01-28-2007 at 03:34 PM
DGM
Actually, a question about level 6 (spoilery)-

01-28-2007 at 03:41 PM
eytanz
It was still possible to do so in version 5, and as far as I can tell nothing changed to prevent it in version 6, though it may be I missed something.

01-28-2007 at 03:45 PM
DGM
icon Re: New puzzle game based on "Tower of the Sorcerer" (version 6, bugfix and other tweaks) (+1)  
eytanz wrote:
It was still possible to do so in version 5, and as far as I can tell nothing changed to prevent it in version 6, though it may be I missed something.

No gameplay changes were made for version 6, and I would have mentioned it if there had been. So you can still complete your challenge.

In fact, I just did something even harder...

Challenge - Win the main game without becoming a murderer, bribing a vampire or picking up any magic items other than the Scroll of Enchant Weapon.

EDIT: Correction, any magic items other than the Scroll of Enchant Weapon. You can't win without that.

[Last edited by DGM at 01-28-2007 04:08 PM]
01-28-2007 at 04:01 PM
eytanz
Well, but my challenge didn't specify how you get past level 6; if it's possible to do so by fighting zombies, I wasn't aware of that. It is still possible to bribe the green merchant before reaching level 7.

In fact, it's possible to do so and also complete your challenge (I just did so, version 6).

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-28-2007 04:25 PM]
01-28-2007 at 04:23 PM
DGM
eytanz wrote:
It is still possible to bribe the green merchant before reaching level 7.

Argh.

Okay, you're not supposed to be able to do that. How exactly did you raise the 3000 without bribing a vamp, killing a merchant or passing level 6 first?

01-28-2007 at 04:30 PM
eytanz
Ok, here's the order of doing things:

01-28-2007 at 04:37 PM
DGM
There's a problem with your walkthrough:

01-28-2007 at 05:15 PM
eytanz
icon Re: New puzzle game based on "Tower of the Sorcerer" (version 6, bugfix and other tweaks) (+2)  
Oops - sorry, I was doing it from memory and got some things wrong. Here is the correct walkthrough:

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-28-2007 05:26 PM]
01-28-2007 at 05:25 PM
DGM
Okay, now I get it. I should be able to fix this by increasing the Yellow Thief's stats slightly.

Thanks for the help, Eytanz. Have some rank points. :)

01-28-2007 at 05:37 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
I love it. There's not much else to say. I've played through the tutorial, but haven't started the actual game yet. But the only thing I find annoying, is that it takes a while to open the game on my computer because it has to switch the resolution. But other than that, its great. I loved the ability to bribe enemies, I found that unique.

But I think we should shorten the title to The Dungeon (version X, now with added X, etc.). The titles getting a bit annoying to look at on the View Todays Posts thing. Just a suggestion.

Keep posting,

01-28-2007 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DGM
icon Re: New puzzle game based on "Tower of the Sorcerer" (version 6, gameplay change and interface tweaks) (+1)  
Version 7 is up. Changes:

The Yellow Thief has been given more life points. This is to - again - correct a design flaw that allowed you to buy the green merchant's key too early.

Choosing load then cancel from the main menu no longer ends the game.

Using the quit button during play now brings up the same menu that the escape key does.

All pop-up message boxes are now positioned relative to the game window. Main menu boxes should appear in the upper-middle region, and all in-play boxes should appear in the upper-left corner.

01-28-2007 at 06:19 PM
DGM
UrAvgAzn wrote:
I love it. There's not much else to say. I've played through the tutorial, but haven't started the actual game yet. But the only thing I find annoying, is that it takes a while to open the game on my computer because it has to switch the resolution.

That's odd. If your screen is larger than 800*600 the game should run in a window. What resolution do you have?

But other than that, its great. I loved the ability to bribe enemies, I found that unique.

Thanks. I'm planning out what will be in the final version, and the bribe system will be expanded on a bit.

But I think we should shorten the title to The Dungeon (version X, now with added X, etc.). The titles getting a bit annoying to look at on the View Todays Posts thing. Just a suggestion.

Done.

01-28-2007 at 06:42 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: New puzzle game (version 6, bugfix and other tweaks) (0)  
DGM wrote:

Done.
Actually, I think you changed it to worse.

The topic title is now much less illustrative, and the titles in the "View todays posts" are all based on individual posts. (They're the same as before) - What would make the difference is shortening the subject in future posts in this thread. But then, I don't really have a problem with long titles in the first place, myself.

As for the game itself, I definitely like it (completed the normal game on the second try a moment ago), and have just downloaded Tower of the Sorcerer. Keeping an eye on this project. Some of your planned additions seem promising.
01-28-2007 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DGM
icon Re: New puzzle game (version 6, bugfix and other tweaks) (0)  
Actually, I think you changed it to worse.

The topic title is now much less illustrative,

It's in the Electronic Games sub-forum, so it should be obvious that the title refers to a computer game. And I think everybody around here who knows what TOTS was has had a chance to read the topic and learn the connection.

and the titles in the "View todays posts" are all based on individual posts. (They're the same as before) - What would make the difference is shortening the subject in future posts in this thread.

But that should only be a problem until tomorrow.

As for the game itself, I definitely like it (completed the normal game on the second try a moment ago), and have just downloaded Tower of the Sorcerer. Keeping an eye on this project. Some of your planned additions seem promising.

Thanks!

01-28-2007 at 07:13 PM
eytanz
icon Re: The Dungeon (version 7, gameplay change and interface tweaks) (+1)  
I've been meaning to post a couple of notes comparing this game to ToS:

1 - I really like the "no hidden information" aspect of the game. ToS can get really aggravating at some points, especially since there are some places where failing to find a totally non-obvious secret early on will have indirect effects which will make it impossible to proceed later.

2 - In ToS, you gain something by killing monsters - it gives you money. In The Dungeon, if there's a monster that's out of your way, you never have any reason to attack it. This reduces the strategic range - in ToS a monster that's not blocking you still raises tactical questions (kill it now for its money, wait until later until you can defeat it without taking damage, or wait even later until you find the item that doubles enemy gold drops). It would be good if you found a way to restore this element to the game.

01-28-2007 at 07:13 PM
DGM
icon Re: The Dungeon (version 7, gameplay change and interface tweaks) (0)  
In The Dungeon, if there's a monster that's out of your way, you never have any reason to attack it. This reduces the strategic range - in ToS a monster that's not blocking you still raises tactical questions (kill it now for its money, wait until later until you can defeat it without taking damage, or wait even later until you find the item that doubles enemy gold drops). It would be good if you found a way to restore this element to the game.

Hmm... Given the changes I'm already planning to make to the bribe system, this should be easy enough to add. It would still be up to the dungeon-maker to actually use this feature, of course. Some may not want there to be any benefit to slaughtering everything just because you can.

01-28-2007 at 09:06 PM
DGM
icon Re: The Dungeon (version 7, gameplay change and interface tweaks) (+1)  
Okay, as of version 7 you should not be able to bribe the green merchant until after you have done at least one of the following:

1) Pass level 6.

2) Bribe a vampire.

3) Become a murderer.

If anybody manages to get around this, post a walkthrough (secret, please) detailing how and I'll show my gratitude with rank points.

Assuming it really isn't possible any more, I'm re-issuing my second challenge.

Challenge - in version 7, conquer the main dungeon without doing any of the following: bribing a vampire, becoming a murderer or picking up any magic item other than the Scroll of Enchant Weapon.

[Last edited by DGM at 01-28-2007 09:13 PM]
01-28-2007 at 09:11 PM
eytanz
icon Re: The Dungeon (version 7, gameplay change and interface tweaks) (+2)  
DGM wrote:
If anybody manages to get around this, post a walkthrough (secret, please) detailing how and I'll show my gratitude with rank points.

It doesn't take much beyond my version 6 solution. New steps bolded:

I changed my solution - one of the steps was not only unnecessary, but a really bad idea. The solution above works, and it lets you win without later murdering anyone or bribing a vampire.

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-28-2007 09:44 PM]
01-28-2007 at 09:22 PM
Page 3 of 12
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Dungeon (Partial editor for testing)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com