Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (A multiple question poll)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Who wins?--Chiefs v. Colts
Colts PollPollPoll 2 66.67%
Chiefs PollPollPoll 1 33.33%

Who wins?--Cowboys v. Seahawks
Cowboys PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
Seahawks PollPollPoll 3 100.00%

Who wins?--Jets v. Patriots
Jets PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
Patriots PollPollPoll 3 100.00%

Who wins?--Giants v. Eagles
Giants PollPollPoll 1 33.33%
Eagles PollPollPoll 2 66.67%
Total Votes 10 100%
Poster Message
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
IP: Logged
icon Re: NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
Not to mention that some people get really riled up at all this attention piled on spectator sports. Only 30 people, at most, can play the game, they say. Why should anyone other than those thirty people care about the outcome?

It's an attitude I've never really understood. Maybe there's one of these people here?
Yup, that pretty much sums up my views on the subject.

01-08-2007 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Woah. I apologise - it was not my intention to offend or insult anyone, and I was not at all offended or insulted by the poll - I was just trying to make a joke which obviously didn't work. Sorry folks. Let's all be friends again, hmm?

"Oook!"
01-08-2007 at 01:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (+2)  
NiroZ wrote:
Wow. I'm almost speechless. Let's see.... how about this topic, created by one NiroZ. You ask what you should get for your Nintendo DS Lite. Oh my god, I don't have one, and you know what, there's probably a lot of people out there who don't have them. So, I really didn't care about that topic at all when it came up. Apparently I should have been offended, because you're causing a rift between the DS owners and non-DS owners.
Very true, but to this day there has been not one person who has express any sort of resentment against that thread, but the same thing cannot be said about this thread. So why have people found it so easy to ignore that thread but not this thread then?
Perhaps because the people "excluded" by the other thread understand that not every thread is all about them, and that different people have different interests. Do you really want everyone who's not interested in a topic you create to pop in and say "This doesn't interest me, so I'm offended that you want to discuss it here"? I didn't have anything intelligent to contribute to your DS topic, so I stayed out of it. You, however...

For the record, I have no interest in the NFL. But I fully support anyone's right to discuss it here if they so wish.

01-08-2007 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (+1)  
I am so sorry to have read what I have in this thread and even more sorry if my attempt at humour on p1 of it contributed in anyway to what has arisen since.

Like Jason, when I first opened this thread the poll had finished and I was momentarily thrown by that. I had no idea what NFL meant (other than our National Farmers' League, which let's face it isn't likely to turn up in discussions here). I did however gather that the poll was about sport and saw "Eagles".

Now some of you will already know that I am intertested in rugby and National rugby teams have nicknames: South Africa are the 'Springboks', France 'Les Bleus'; there are Australian 'Wallabies', 'Kiwis' from New Zealand, Italian 'Azurri' and Argentinian 'Pumas'; there are 'Taffs' - the Welsh - and 'Paddies' ( guess!) and the English are called . . . . . well, actually, the English seem to be called 'Swing Low Sweet Chariot' :yes ;) :D

The American rugby team is called the "Eagles" ; I watched them a number of years ago at Murrayfield and as an amateur team (which I think they still are) they played very well.

So that is what led to my, perhaps rather vapid, but well intentioned comment earlier. I regret the thread has led to a degree of discomfiture amongst members and hope that it will be allowed to fade away quietly. To that end, maybe schik and NiroZ could continue their exchange of philosophies in PMs and the rest of us could draw down a veil?

Elfstone

01-08-2007 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Schik wrote:
If there's some international NFL that I'm not aware of, with Chiefs, Colts, Cowboys, etc. then I can understand if there were some confusion.
No, that's what causes the confusion.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying "because there are no alternative NFLs, everybody knows which NFL is meant". My view is closer to "because NFL is a local phenomenon, a lot of people can't tell from the title what this thread is about. They open it, but get no help from the first message."

Niroz' thread about his nintendo is similarly unhelpful, but it can get away with it more easily because it's in a different context: First, in a forum primarily dedicated to a computer game it's more legitimate to expect readers' interest in electronic games than in spectator sports. Second, unlike NFL, Nintendo is an internationally known brand name. People who aren't interested in Nintendo products may still recognise the name and just painlessly skip the thread.
01-08-2007 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Znirk wrote:
If I understand you correctly, you're saying "because there are no alternative NFLs, everybody knows which NFL is meant". My view is closer to "because NFL is a local phenomenon, a lot of people can't tell from the title what this thread is about. They open it, but get no help from the first message."
No, I'm not saying that everyone knows what the NFL is. I'm saying that if you don't know what it is, either find out if you care or ignore it if you don't. If someone wanted to talk about football (soccer to me) leagues in Europe, using only names and acronyms that I didn't recognize, I wouldn't know a whole lot about it. I could probably look into it, but I would choose not to, and simply ignore the topic, rather than tell people they shouldn't talk about it.
First, in a forum primarily dedicated to a computer game it's more legitimate to expect readers' interest in electronic games than in spectator sports.
That point is moot. Anything is just that, anything (that doesn't fit into the other boards). So it was on-topic. Zex didn't say that everyone (or anyone, for that matter) should care about his topic. I think my beef with this comes down to "If you don't care about a topic, leave it alone, don't troll in said topic or tell people they shouldn't talk about it."
Second, unlike NFL, Nintendo is an internationally known brand name. People who aren't interested in Nintendo products may still recognise the name and just painlessly skip the thread.
Yes, and people who don't know what NFL is can painlessly skip the thread. If I saw "EUFA playoffs, 2007, week 1" as a subject, I'd probably just skip it because I don't know what it is and don't care. (I googled to find some european sport league). I can't imagine tell you that you couldn't discuss it.

01-08-2007 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Schik wrote:
If I saw "EUFA playoffs, 2007, week 1" as a subject, I'd probably just skip it because I don't know what it is and don't care.

Heh. I'm ready to believe you since the name is actually "UEFA", and it only refers to an organisation (like the bigger brother FIFA). So, let's pick the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Cup instead.

In other words, I fully agree with Schik. Not that anybody cared, of course, but I thought he deserved some support, maybe. Feel free to ignore that post, though.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 01-08-2007 07:57 PM]
01-08-2007 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
After deciding to remove myself from the conversation to simmer down so I could post rationally, I come back to find that everything that I wanted to say had already been said. Thank you Schik for reading my mind! :D
01-08-2007 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
I'm with Stefan on this, so I am going to ignore this silly thread.

Oh...

damn
01-08-2007 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : NFL playoffs, 2007, week 1. (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com