Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Graphical Watchits
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Graphical Watchits (0)  
I may have to jump in with the coding, but here's some suggestions for rebuilding the graphical engine (most of these hinge on the suggestion of custom themes, so take it in that context):

* Animated tiles. The theme bitmap would go something like this:

⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞ - various tiles
⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞
⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞ - animation sequence 1
⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞⃞ - animation sequence 2
etc...

A regular tile would be replaced by an animated sequence if its square was filled with a particular colour. The sequence starts on the left and ends on the first square that's fully transparent. The sequence loops. You could use this to do bubbling lava pits, moving shadows and the like.

* Widgets: I know this has already been mentioned, but mainly to add variety to the 2x2 blocks. How about widgets that have the properties of any tile? You could, for example, have windows that act just like pits, or cracked floors tht are just like regular floors, or tapestries that act like walls. (Or even breakable walls as well).

* Light sources. I've been gunning for this one for a while. You have a light source that gets placed somewhere and casts shadows. This one might not be all that practical, as you'd need 4 shadows for each monster at least, but it would be cool. Maybe the DROD3D guys could do this?

Matt

08-24-2003 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Graphical Watchits (0)  
Hmm... sounds a little like a level creator I used to use before the game slowly faded out of fashion. It was called Jazz Jackrabbit 2, written by Epic Megagames. Does this ring any bells?

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-31-2003 at 10:06 PM]

08-31-2003 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Only as a game, and I didn't play it for long. Never saw the level editor.

Matt

09-01-2003 at 12:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Heck, why don't we write a whole entire dynamic lighting engine that casts shadows from objects based on their shape and position relative to the light source? Then Beethro could knock out the torches and the shadows would disappear (as well as the room going dim) and objects could cast more than one shadow for multiple light sources. This could be the next Half-Life! :D

09-02-2003 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Graphical Watchits
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No