Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where's the info on purchasing DROD and CaravelNet?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon Where's the info on purchasing DROD and CaravelNet? (0)  
I'm talking about price, how I can get them, if CaravelNet expires, and so on.

Depending on price (and how long subscriptions last), I might try to get something.

I also want to know how get Smitemaster Selections. Do I have to purchase them separately, or do I just need CaravelNet and then I'm able to download them as I please?

And I also want info on Beta Boards. Are they actually entire boards for your holds in progress? In that case, are you the administrator of that board, or does somebody else keep them all in check?

One last question: Should I buy JtRH, or should I wait for TCB?

01-01-2007 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Where's the info on purchasing DROD and CaravelNet? (+1)  
Kwakstur wrote:
It is currently $12 USD for 1 year subscription.
Kwakstur wrote:
I also want to know how get Smitemaster Selections. Do I have to purchase them separately, or do I just need CaravelNet and then I'm able to download them as I please?
It was previously set up such that if you had a CaravelNet subscription you were free to download all SS selections as you pleased. Now, you only have access to the Smitemaster Selections released when your subscription is active. So if you subscribed today, I believe you'd have access to Beethro's Teacher (the current one), and all the others released within one year today.
Kwakstur wrote:
And I also want info on Beta Boards. Are they actually entire boards for your holds in progress? In that case, are you the administrator of that board, or does somebody else keep them all in check?
Yes, they are boards that appear in a new section "Hold Beta Testing" underneath the "Other Boards" section. The boards that appear here are beta boards you have created, and boards that you have been invited to. I do not believe you get administrative powers over the board (i.e. I don't think you can delete or edit posts that are not yours). It just provides a place for you and those you invite to discuss and test your hold.
Kwakstur wrote:
That is very much up to you :). If you want to play the full 25 levels of JtRH, then it'd probably be a good idea to buy it. If you decide not to, keep in mind it'll be at least a few more months until TCB is released.

You can find more information on CaravelNet here.

01-01-2007 at 02:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Kwakstur wrote:

Depending on price (and how long subscriptions last), I might try to get something.

You can get all the pricing info at http://www.caravelgames.com/Articles/Games.html

You need to buy them seperately - at least the old ones. Any new ones that come out while you have Caravelnet will be downloadable for free.

And I also want info on Beta Boards. Are they actually entire boards for your holds in progress?

Yes.

In that case, are you the administrator of that board, or does somebody else keep them all in check?

The regular forum admins moderate the beta boards as well. As far as I know, there have never been problems. You do get some special abilities if you own a beta board - for instance, you can download any demo created by anyone playing the beta hold.

TCB is a totally different hold, so if you want to play levels 4-25 of JtRH, you need to buy JtRH. If you can afford only one, I can't give you a solid recommendation, but here are a couple of things to think about:

- JtRH is out now, and TCB is still under development. You might be waiting several months.

- TCB continues JtRH's story and assumes people are mostly familiar with JtRH game elements (it does have tutorials, but they're not very elaborate). However, it is also designed to be self-sufficient. If you have played user holds and don't mind missing out on some story development, you can start with TCB.

Anyway, hopefully this will help you make a decision.

01-01-2007 at 02:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Where's the info on purchasing DROD and CaravelNet? (0)  
For the DROD purchase, it mentions a CD and a downloadable. What's the difference? I don't see why one would cost more than the other . . .

01-01-2007 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
The CD costs more because Caravel incurs shipping costs for it - they have to print a CD and post it to you, whereas the DL costs them only a bit of bandwidth. The download also allows you to start playing noticably sooner than shipping a CD would, but doesn't give you a CD or the artwork that goes with it.

01-01-2007 at 03:20 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
BeefontheBone wrote:
The CD costs more because Caravel incurs shipping costs for it - they have to print a CD and post it to you, whereas the DL costs them only a bit of bandwidth. The download also allows you to start playing noticably sooner than shipping a CD would, but doesn't give you a CD or the artwork that goes with it.
Note that (correct me if I'm wrong) when you order the CD, you are also given a download link, so you can download and start playing the game right away anyway, but you also get the CD mailed to you. This is good if you're interested in collecting, but also so you have a copy of the game forever, no matter what happens to the version you installed, or your computer, etc., in the future, and for whatever reason aren't able to download it again.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-01-2007 07:07 PM]
01-01-2007 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Hmmmm ... are there any plans to sell a separate JtRH hold to interested players who only joined the party after 3.0 came out (e.g. similar to a Missed Smitemaster's Selection)? Or will the current JtRH+DROD 2.0 bundle remain available?

[Last edited by Znirk at 01-02-2007 03:19 PM : small clarification]
01-02-2007 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I don't know that much thought has been given to that yet. JtRH will run perfectly fine on 3.0, so hopefully there will eventually be a way for people who own JtRH and TCB to consolidate them into one DROD installation, but I don't think there are any specific plans yet.

I could be wrong, though, I'm normally not part of Caravel business decisions.

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-02-2007 03:29 PM]
01-02-2007 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where's the info on purchasing DROD and CaravelNet?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com