Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Visibility/Invisibility in scripts (script commands related Beethro's visibility)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
IP: Logged
icon Visibility/Invisibility in scripts (+1)  
I'd like to see some new script commands: one to make Beethro visible, one to make him invisible, and one to toggle his visibility. Alternately, new types of tile which do the same would be almost as powerful, and more transparent to the player.

Also, it would be nice to have some new script conditions:
Wait for event: Beethro is visible
Wait for event: Beethro is invisible
Wait for event: Beethro is noticable from (coordinates)

These would be useful because scripting to detect Beethro's visibility status by tracking number of times he's visited squares with invisibility potions becomes messy, fast (and if scripting or reusable tiles are added, would be practically impossible).

The last scripting command would be equivalent to testing for Beethro either being visible, or invisible but in smelling range of the coordinates selected.

I know this is sort of a laundry list, but the puzzle possibilities for the first set are obvious, I think. And the second set would simplify a popular style of script. Also, I imagine most of these changes would be relatively easy to code, since they all are just new aspects of existing features.

12-21-2006 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Visibility/Invisibility in scripts (0)  
Beef Row wrote:
I'd like to see some new script commands: one to make Beethro visible, one to make him invisible, and one to toggle his visibility. Alternately, new types of tile which do the same would be almost as powerful, and more transparent to the player.

Could you provide some examples of why you think this would be worthwhile in addition to the potion? I'm not quite seeing it myself.

Absolutely. Great ideas.

12-21-2006 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: Visibility/Invisibility in scripts (+1)  
Beef Row wrote:

In terms of scripting, all that is necessary is an is-visible test (Wait for event: beethro is invisible, for example) and a visibility toggle. But an is-noticeable-at is a nice convenient thing to have :thumbsup. The others, though, I say are redundant and not worth it. Not necessarily because they'd be hard to do, but because there's no point in proliferating the feature list without a clear win.

I would be totally for the invisible toggle tile thing, if we didn't already have the potion. As it is, I like multi-use for new items since there are a plethora of widgets to make one-use items out of multi-use ones. But I'm ambivalent about introducing new mostly-redundant multi-use items for potions we already have.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-21-2006 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: Visibility/Invisibility in scripts (+2)  
eytanz wrote:
Beef Row wrote:

Could you provide some examples of why you think this would be worthwhile in addition to the potion? I'm not quite seeing it myself.

Well, I'd see this being useful anytime an architect wants you to be able to switch freely between sections of the room, but at the same time enforce invisibility on one side and visibility on the other. Similar solutions with potions require trapdoors, force arrows, etc. So mainly its not so much for new puzzles as to allow invisibility related puzzles to work in more open rooms.

You could also easily make rooms where you have a choice between stealth but a very restricted path, or coming out in the open to fight a horde. Just grant invisibility at the beginning, and then make a narrow path through visibility squares (or squares scripted for visibility).

If it were implemented in the scripted form, it would give stealth puzzles where you lose invisibility every time you (for instance) cut some tar. Or every time you turn your sword.

Its harder to come up with scripting specific uses for becoming invisible. Maybe something like to earn invisibility you need for part of a room, you need to kill all the brains in the room. Or guards waiting in a security room.

12-22-2006 at 06:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
icon Re: Visibility/Invisibility in scripts (0)  
If it were implemented in the scripted form, it would give stealth puzzles where you lose invisibility every time you (for instance) cut some tar. Or every time you turn your sword.
Woah. That sounds pretty interesting. Stealth elements!
12-22-2006 at 12:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Visibility/Invisibility in scripts (script commands related Beethro's visibility)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com