Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Secret walls shown once found
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
IP: Logged
icon Secret walls shown once found (+4)  
Ever spent ages navigating a maze constructed from secret walls then left the room and had to do it all again. If so then this is the feature request for you!

What I suggest is that once secret walls have been discovered (i.e. once they have been destroyed once) then on subsequent visits to the room the discovered secret walls should show up. This could be done with some sort of highlighting or change of graphics (to those for crumbly wall perhaps).

12-19-2006 at 03:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Secret walls shown once found (0)  
Maybe they can show up in the minimap.
12-19-2006 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1912
Yeah, this would be nice.
12-19-2006 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Oh, man, wouldn't it though?
12-20-2006 at 04:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'd certainly be very happy about this.

12-20-2006 at 12:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Me too. Nice idea.

12-20-2006 at 01:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Secret walls shown once found (+1)  
While I very much like this idea, wouldn't you have to remember for each breakable tile if you had found it or not?

If so, I see quite an increase in DAT-file size ahead... :P

12-20-2006 at 02:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
Uff. Good point. Every save game would require a bit for every secret wall tile in the entire hold. But it still might be worth it.
12-20-2006 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: Secret walls shown once found (+2)  
Hypothetically, we could just decide to store it in the player data instead of the saved games. (1) If you discover breakable wall in saved game A, is it all that bad to have it show up in save game B as well? (2) Then, the data doesn't propagate with demo files and such, meaning less spoilers watching high score demos.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-20-2006 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
One thing from an optimization perspective--this would easily destroy some first place demos (I could make a better trek through a maze, and kill the brain at the end if all of the crumblies are gone), and may break some rooms so that you would have to restore, depending on how one goes about remembering when they were broken.

That is to say, if a crumbly turns into floor tile FOREVER, when it's hit, then leaving a room and coming back will change the type of room it is. It may become an impossible room (the crumbly wall was blocking some goblins, or something.), it may become a trivial room (Brain at the end of a crumbly maze).

Only working after the green door is gone won't work either if there is a tar substance in the room (necessarily).

While I agree that it would be nice for crumblies to disappear forever after being destroyed, there are some major ramifications that need to be accounted for.

12-21-2006 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
zex20913 wrote:
That is to say, if a crumbly turns into floor tile FOREVER, when it's hit, then leaving a room and coming back will change the type of room it is.
The suggestion was to mark secret walls after they're discovered.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-21-2006 at 02:18 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Oh! ... Well, my reading skills are apparently off today.

All for.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 12-21-2006 02:24 AM]
12-21-2006 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
If this is feasible, it would be most welcome.
12-21-2006 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
schep wrote:
Uff. Good point. Every save game would require a bit for every secret wall tile in the entire hold. But it still might be worth it.
I guess run-length encoding alone could help with that, never mind better compression...

So if you actually destroy all crumblies in a room it should be nothing more than a few bytes... ;)

12-21-2006 at 08:19 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
So how would secret walls which have not been previously broken next to secret walls which have been previously broken be displayed?

For example, the two 'S'es in:

...S...
BBBBBBB
...S...

where B is a previously broken secret wall, and S is a not previously broken secret wall.

Would they be displayed like secret walls next to floor spaces? If not, I am slightly concerned as to how such 'S'es would ever be found.

12-21-2006 at 08:31 AM
Briareos
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Would they be displayed like secret walls next to floor spaces?
Since I really think this feature should make things easier - why not?

After all, you already broke the walls marked "B" earlier, and so they already have been shown like that...

12-21-2006 at 08:53 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Secret walls shown once found
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com