Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How old are you?
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
How old are you?
< 15
15-18
19-22
23-30
31 +
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon How old are you? (0)  
Yeah, yeah, I know the Questionnaire topic asks this question, but I thought it might be interesting to see a graph of this. Based on the answers given in that post, I skewed the bins towards the approximate median of 18-19. We'll see if that was appropriate or not. More options would have been nice though.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-19-2003 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: How old are you? (0)  
Just the other day I talked to a friend of mine who has an eight year old kid. His kid's up to at least level 21 now! I think we'll soon have a new youngest smitemaster.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-19-2003 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
I did beat DROD in the younger age bracket though...(15-18 ) Should the question ask this, or is the age as of now better?

[Edited by zex20913 on 08-19-2003 at 10:12 PM GMT: smiley stupidity...]

08-19-2003 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I think I am just curious about people's current age. That means that this poll will be outdated within a year, oh well. This way we can compare the ages of everybody, not just those that have beaten Dugan's.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-19-2003 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
I just want to say, as a 31 year old, I HATE how the choices are laid out.

31+ :(
What? Do you think I'm living in an old folks home? :P

08-20-2003 at 12:28 AM
Oneiromancer
Sorry, TScott, but after looking through the questionnaire answers, I only saw two people with an age that started with a 3 or higher. I probably should have made it 30+, but I wanted Erik to feel young :D , apparently at your expense.

Personally, if it were me who was the old fogey, I would ham it up as much as possible...have some fun with it. But that's just me. I only have 4 more years to go until I'm in that category, hang in there...

Game on,

08-20-2003 at 12:49 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Yep thats me the other old fart. :thumbsup:
08-20-2003 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I feel much too old. The red light on my palm started blinking about a year ago.

Anybody older than me, sheesh--that's unfathomable.

-Erik

08-20-2003 at 02:05 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: Re: How old are you? (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
I feel much too old. The red light on my palm started blinking about a year ago.

That may well be but I am Peter Ustinov.
08-20-2003 at 02:50 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
These poll options are a bit biased...I mean one of them has a span of 7 years. Knock it down a bit.

08-20-2003 at 07:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Well, I would, but there were only 5 options and I didn't see a way to add more. If I missed how, I apologize for my ignorance. Besides, like I said, looking at the Questionnaire thread, there were lots of people who were 18 or 19 years old...I wanted to separate those. I think once more people have voted, that 7-year long bin won't be as large as it is now.

Also, each age range kind of represents different stages of life...pre-high school, high school, college, post-college, and then...older. :P So I think they were somewhat reasonable divisions.

Game on,

08-20-2003 at 04:37 PM
squeekie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 140
I'm 53. Too old to be a Goblin.

08-22-2003 at 05:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
See, if someone (cough cough Schik cough cough) would enable more than 5 poll options, I could redo this poll and make both zex and squeekie happy!

:D

Game on,

08-22-2003 at 07:27 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
mrimer wrote:
Just the other day I talked to a friend of mine who has an eight year old kid. His kid's up to at least level 21 now! I think we'll soon have a new youngest smitemaster.

Yeah, I can't be the youngest Legendary Smitemaster forever. But right now I'm only 12 & 7/12, and I beat DROD before I joined the forum. :thumbsup::blink:yikes

Wait...forget the first sentence!

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 09-06-2003 at 06:53 AM GMT: The truth]

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-01-2003 at 06:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
A mere 16. But at least I'm not the youngest...

"Oook!"
09-01-2003 at 09:18 AM
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
I wouldn’t have replied to this question if it hadn’t been for squeekie for I am 51 this month (Sept 29th) – gosh we must be older than their parents squeek! – and I don’t know if this is a compliment or not, but I would have said that you were much younger from the tone of your postings.

As for the player’s profile questionnaire: well I didn’t want to bore you with the likes of Prokofiev’s Romeo & Juliet, Pergolesi’s Stabat Mater and Joyce’s Ulysses so we’ll leave it at that except to say that I am a UK resident.

My brother (49) also plays DROD and we started playing computer games in the 70’s, on an Atari system that plugged into the TV. One of our favourite games was Shamus, a game not unlike DROD in structure – a series of rooms full of monsters – but utterly different in execution. You were always advised to enter a new room with guns blazing, just in case there was a monster lurking by the entrance, and once you were finished with your allotted number of lives, plus any bonuses, you had to go right back to the very beginning and start again – infuriating! Possibly as a throwback to this I tend to enter new rooms in DROD with sword facing forward, but no longer fear death – if only DROD had been around 30 years ago!

[Edited by Atch on 09-12-2003 at 04:48 PM]
09-12-2003 at 05:46 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I remember Shamus. That was a great game! I had an Atari 800XL. The best game on the Atari, I think, was "Alternate Reality". I can still remember the song: "This is your... alternate reality."

-Erik

09-12-2003 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Argh! Shamus was great, but I was never able to beat it! I was always about 10 rooms shy of the end when randomness took its course and I lost my last guy.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-12-2003 at 06:43 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
What is this Shamus of which you speak, and do you know if there's a download of it for the PC?

09-17-2003 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
icon Re: How old are you? (+1)  
I had Shamus for my Atari 400, loaded via tape (weeee!) I was probably 8 years old when I played that... Legend of Zelda soundly replaced it, and it was just as well -- my younger sister destroyed the tape a mere month or two after I got Zelda.

If you shop on Amazon, you can get Shamus for the Gameboy color for as low as $7.00 before shipping. However, I would reccomend against that since the game got a bad review (3 out of 10).

Shamus was a maze/key/monster labyrinth game, with electric death walls and randomly moving monsters. Zelda absolutely trounced it now that I've gone back and looked at some screens.

Shamus - Case II is another story. I only got to play this for 10 minutes about 10 years ago, and I do want to try it again.

Shamus - Case II - Beautiful Box-art that excites my DRODly senses

[Last edited by Sergenth at 03-14-2006 02:16 AM]
03-14-2006 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Man, old games.

There was this one game I remember that I can't remember the name of. I think it was an Activision game, and I know that it was published for the Amiga at least. The name was one word, I think.

I recall that the first level was a highly uneven polygonal wireframe landscape, and you could move around it at will in two dimesions. It was a tilted view, sort of like the later adventure games where if you went too deep into one screen you'd get another one. You could move up and down the mesas all over the landscape at will, but spend too long on the level and you'd be killed by something.

I know other levels were different - level 4 was top down, for instance.

For the life of me, I can't remember the game, and we got rid of all our Amiga games long ago. It's been bugging me.

03-14-2006 at 08:29 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Mattcrampy wrote:
There was this one game I remember that I can't remember the name of. I think it was an Activision game, and I know that it was published for the Amiga at least. The name was one word, I think.
Spindizzy (Worlds)?

np: Mikkel Metal - Align (Victimizer)

03-14-2006 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Mattcrampy wrote:
Man, old games.

I recall that the first level was a highly uneven polygonal wireframe landscape, and you could move around it at will in two dimesions. It was a tilted view, sort of like the later adventure games where if you went too deep into one screen you'd get another one. You could move up and down the mesas all over the landscape at will, but spend too long on the level and you'd be killed by something.

I know other levels were different - level 4 was top down, for instance.

For the life of me, I can't remember the game, and we got rid of all our Amiga games long ago. It's been bugging me.

Sounds very much like Firebird's "The Sentinel" ?

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1733
03-14-2006 at 03:47 PM
Mattcrampy
It's not Sentinel. You could move around freely, you'd just get killed at some point for no apparant reason after about three screens.

03-17-2006 at 08:12 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Sentinel is free roaming too. Or are you not referring to your game ?
03-17-2006 at 03:17 PM
Mattcrampy
No, it wasn't Sentinel. The first level, which I remember the most vividly because it was the only one I personally played, wasn't set on an island. The fourth level, which I saw someone else play, almost seemed like a different game - green, top-down and more self-explanatory.

03-18-2006 at 10:11 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Mattcrampy wrote:
we got rid of all our Amiga games long ago.
That kind of thing is punishable by death, you know.

Anyway, I asked a friend about your game, and the only thing he could think of was "Hunter". Could that be it ?

As long as we're talking about old games that's been bugging us; I remember this game I played once at a cousins place. It was on an Atari computer of some sort. You could stash cartridges in it. The computer, I mean. On the top. Also, the keyboard was detachable, and there was a light gun.

Oh! I just found out what that thing was! An Atari XEGS!

Anyway, this was a cartridge game, a labyrinth game of some sort. I remember .. brown .. although there were more colors, I think. Also, there were monsters and keys and stuff, and lots of animations -- torches burning on the walls. It also had a two player mode, which was the best part. I think it had 'Labyrinth' or 'Maze' in the title (and the title had more than one word), but I've searched a bit and found nothing.

- Gerry
03-18-2006 at 08:17 PM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
Is it listed here?

http://my.execpc.com/~krieg/links/8bit.carts

03-18-2006 at 09:14 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I'm 35. Suddenly, though, I feel younger. Hurray for outing the people older than I.

03-18-2006 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
jamie wrote:
Is it listed here?

http://my.execpc.com/~krieg/links/8bit.carts
Hm, I don't know. There's no games there with 'labyrinth' in the title, and the only hits for 'maze' are either too early (before the XEGS came out) or too late (I know I played this long before 1998). MidiMaze doesn't have a year listed, but I know that's not it. So, if the game's there, I got the name wrong. Too bad there's not any screenshots ..

Thanks anyway, though.

- Gerry
03-22-2006 at 04:57 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How old are you?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com