Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Build 38 Release Candidate
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Build 38 Release Candidate (0)  
Yeah, I skipped over build 37. Don't think much of it.

For build 38, I put on a white lab coat and rubber gloves. I tried to be as paranoid as I could be along the way. Each step of the build, I double-checked so as not to introduce errors. The result is a setup executable which probably is exactly what will be distributed to the world. If testing on this build goes okay, I will simply rename the .EXE and start spreading it around. The idea is to avoid rebuilding because there is a small chance I'll screw something up along the way.

Purposefully, I didn't make an upgrade installer because it won't be distributed (it's just a tool provided for convenience to beta participants), and the testing emphasis should go on the full installer which will be distributed.

I would like it if people could run through this smoke test:
1. Install DROD and run it.
2. Import 1.5 data if you got it.
3. Play through the first level.
4. Switch between fullscreen and windowed modes.
5. Create a new hold and edit some rooms.
6. Export the hold.
7. Import the hold.

It'll probably take you 10 minutes. I'm trying to hit the basic functionality of DROD across the different configurations we have out there. I'm looking for some strange and stupid error that was introduced by the build itself, since the changes to the code have been minimal.

If you run this test successfully, please reply back to this post and say something like "I ran the smoke test successfully on Windows 98". I'm interested to know that we have all the O/Ss covered. We will try to run the release candidate on Windows 95/98/XP/ME/NT/2000. This might sound dumb, because we have been testing the same stuff for months, but we have to check once more for the release candidate to avoid some really embarrassing last-minute mistakes. After getting DROD uploaded to twenty or thirty game sites, it would be horrible to learn that say... we shipped with the wrong version of a DLL.

Here's what was fixed/changed in build 38. Some testing around these changed areas would also be appreciated:

83928 Changes addressing editing rights.
80687 Update credits just before release.
83785 BUG: CWidget:: DrawFilledRect() occasionally buggy
83784 Add tool tips to title screen
83762 Hold/level settings.
83672 Fix tar and roach egg spawning
83687 Add home/end commands to multi-line text box.
83679 Fix broken demos
83625 File select dialog goes blank after choosing A: fails.

Finally, I don't want to be close-minded about fixing any new bugs you may find. The bar for fixing them is very high right now. If you see something annoying, but basically workable, we will probably not fix it in DROD:AE. If you see a bug which prevents you from doing something or loses your data, we probably will fix it. If in doubt, please report the bug, and don't take it hard if we choose to skip over it for this release.

-Erik

08-19-2003 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
icon Re: Build 38 Release Candidate (0)  
The smoke test passed on my setup. Win2000 (v5.00.2195 SP 4).
08-19-2003 at 01:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
The smoke test passed on my setup also, Windows XP Home laptop.

However, there were a few little things, but this could be my computer specifically. Switching from windowed to fullscreen made the screen flash the desktop a few times...I think this was because of differences in resolution, so probably no big deal. Also, when I used Alt-Enter it popped up the statistics screen in DROD...perhaps something to think about for the future release would be to disable Enter when Alt is also pressed. Finally, when I exited DROD it was in windowed mode, but it still made my screen go blank before it redrew everything. I would have expected this from fullscreen mode, not windowed. However, I may have seen this with other games so it could be something like my generic laptop video card and not DROD's problem (I have an nVidia Go! card).

Other than that, everything went fine! I can't wait for the full release so I can beat Dugan's again and actually record demos all the way through!

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 08-19-2003 at 03:56 AM GMT: specified XP version]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-19-2003 at 01:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
Smoke test passed on windows xp pro.
08-19-2003 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
Smoke test passed on Windows 98.

My original "Scott" player from ver 1.5 imported just fine. However, I am having some trouble importing my exported (from build 36) Tscott.player file. I'm getting the error "Demo being imported belongs to a hold that you don't have and was ignored." Demo? :huh Is this because of the rule changes? I had "record victory demos" on and had played through level 20 of DROD with this player throughout the various beta builds.

08-19-2003 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
We found at least one bug that will require a new build. Unfortunately, this means we have to make another release candidate and run through the smoke tests again. So I wanted to mention this before more people go through it. I think on the next RC, I'll take out some of the steps and we can get through it quicker.

So don't run the smoke test, because we will have to do it again on the next build. Regular testing is still useful, of course.

Thanks, people who posted to the thread so far. I'll reply back a bit later. Gotta take off right now.

-Erik

08-19-2003 at 05:05 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Re: Build 38 Release Candidate (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Also, when I used Alt-Enter it popped up the statistics screen in DROD...perhaps something to think about for the future release would be to disable Enter when Alt is also pressed.
I fixed this in build 39 so the stat box won't come up when you do this any more.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-19-2003 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Re: Build 38 Release Candidate (0)  
Tscott wrote:
However, I am having some trouble importing my exported (from build 36) Tscott.player file. I'm getting the error "Demo being imported belongs to a hold that you don't have and was ignored." Demo? :huh
This sounds potentially serious: could you post your player file so I can try to duplicate the bug...or at least find out what's going on?

08-19-2003 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
icon Re: Re: Re: Build 38 Release Candidate (0)  
mrimer wrote:
This sounds potentially serious: could you post your player file so I can try to duplicate the bug...or at least find out what's going on?
As requested...

[Edited by Tscott on 08-19-2003 at 07:15 PM GMT: removed file, those who need it have seen it]

08-19-2003 at 03:15 PM
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
icon Re: Re: Re: Build 38 Release Candidate (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
Also, when I used Alt-Enter it popped up the statistics screen in DROD...perhaps something to think about for the future release would be to disable Enter when Alt is also pressed.
I fixed this in build 39 so the stat box won't come up when you do this any more.
The same happens for Ctrl-Enter (another way to switch windowed/fullscreen modes).

08-19-2003 at 05:18 PM
mrimer
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Build 38 Release Candidate (0)  
Mister wrote:
The same happens for Ctrl-Enter (another way to switch windowed/fullscreen modes).
Eep, okay. I'll shut them down. (Shut them all down!)

08-19-2003 at 06:52 PM
mrimer
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Build 38 Release Candidate (0)  
Tscott wrote:
mrimer wrote:
As requested...
Thanks. I was able to find the bug right away, and it's been fixed for build 39. Your player imports fine now.

08-19-2003 at 07:09 PM
butsam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
Erik,

Great work!!! It looks like this may be the one! I ran the smoke test (and a lot of other tests), Build 38, Windows 98 SE. Works like a champ!

Sam
08-22-2003 at 04:18 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Build 38 Release Candidate
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes