Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Groan!! - deaf again!! ((but I will be extra careful this time))
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Re: Groan!! - deaf again!! (0)  
Yeah, was keeping things simple. I don't see how saved games could be affected but yeah... I'd explain how to backup Elfstone's files first.
11-19-2006 at 12:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Syntax wrote:
I don't see how saved games could be affected but yeah...
If there has been a change affecting the database structure, the dats could get scrambled (losing all saved games and progress). I don't know if any such updates have been made since 2.0.11 (or if any such updates have ever been made) - I'm just being cautious.

[Last edited by Stefan at 11-19-2006 12:30 PM]
11-19-2006 at 12:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Yeah that's cool. We'll make sure the files are backed up :)
11-19-2006 at 12:37 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Stefan wrote:
The main executable should be enough, but it's pretty hard to get a hold of (pun intentional), since Apple seems to be very unfriendly to people who don't have Macs.
I have the 2.0.11 and 2.0.13 .dmg files for Mac, plus a program that enables me to decompress and access them under Windows, so I can extract the executables. (Of course I can also download a later version first, if there is one). Would it be ok to post it?

Ideally someone should diff them and post a patch file, since 2MB is still a bit big for Elfstone. I can't figure out how to do a binary diff and actually create a patch file. All I get is "yeah, they're different". Is it possible to create a binary patch with diff?
11-19-2006 at 12:50 PM
Syntax
diff -ruNa

Then use patch...
11-19-2006 at 12:59 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
diff -ruNa

Then use patch...
Oi, that's evil... but yes, it could work.

The next question of course is - are diff/patch usually installed with Mac OS X?

(If not, maybe use bspatch/xdelta/rsync/whathaveyou instead...)

11-19-2006 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
It will work and I don't see why diff/patch wouldn't be installed. They're pretty standard.

rsync is an option too I guess. Not sure the other 2 will be present.
11-19-2006 at 01:20 PM
michthro
Sorry for all the stupid questions, but what would be the corresponding parameters for the patch command?

The .dmg reader I have was a trial version, which has expired, so I diffed the decompressed full installers, which created a 122KB patch file. Seems a little too good to be true. If I just apply patch with no parameters, or -p0, the resulting file is 49KB. (It should be 95MB.)

EDIT: On second thought, since it probably is only the executable that's changed, the patch file shouldn't be all that big. Could well be 122KB. Now if I can just figure out how to apply the thing.

[Last edited by michthro at 11-19-2006 02:02 PM]
11-19-2006 at 01:45 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
ummm . . .

ehmmmm . . .

. . . just to let you guys know that I'm still reading this. :~(

can't add much more really - waaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top of my head :?

and what was that you said about being "a Terminal pro" Syntax? If that's the case, the one sonnet I've written puts me up there with Shakespeare!! :lol

11-19-2006 at 02:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
michthro wrote:
EDIT: On second thought, since it probably is only the executable that's changed, the patch file shouldn't be all that big. Could well be 122KB. Now if I can just figure out how to apply the thing.
I'm almost surprised it's even that big. A straight patch with no flags should work...
11-19-2006 at 02:20 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
michthro wrote:
I'm almost surprised it's even that big.
Well, a DMG file is a file system image; so with 2 installers there's going to be different metadata in the filesystem that's also being diff-ed.

Moreover, diff always prints a full line, even if just one character has changed, so with binary files it all depends on where the next linebreak happens to be. In the worst case (no linebreaks in the file, ever) you could get a diff around twice the file's size...

np: Underworld - Pearls Girl (Everything, Everything (Live))

11-19-2006 at 02:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro

File: mac11-13patch (134 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Groan!! - deaf again!! (+1)  
Ok, I managed with bsdiff (apparently bspatch comes installed on the Mac). The attached file is the bsdiff between the 2.0.11 and 2.0.13 executables. (I'm assuming the executable is the extensionless file called "drod" in the "MacOS" folder - don't see what else it could be.)

So it *should* simply be a matter of going "bspatch drod drod drod11-13patch", but I'll leave it to the experts to explain the procedure, starting with backing up the correct .dats.

[Last edited by michthro at 11-20-2006 08:45 AM]
11-19-2006 at 06:19 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I read the words, but they don't go together. We gotta get something more user-friendly worked out for the Macs.

Perhaps a kind soul could send Elfstone a CD?

11-20-2006 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
We gotta get something more user-friendly worked out for the Macs.

We need to get some heat all up in this giant bonfire.

11-20-2006 at 04:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Mattcrampy wrote:
I read the words, but they don't go together. We gotta get something more user-friendly worked out for the Macs.

Perhaps a kind soul could send Elfstone a CD?
Obviously we need something better, but meanwhile it's not such a big deal to download the patch file, open a command line and type at most two commands. That's a lot less trouble than sending a CD.

The words weren't meant as instructions for Mac users, they were aimed at those who know what's going on. It should be simple, but I don't have a Mac so I can test this. If some kind soul with a Mac who knows what they're doing would get involved that would help.

The procedure should be:
-Back up.
-Download the patch file to your desktop.
-Open the DROD package and copy DROD.app/Contents/MacOS/drod to the desktop.
-From the command line, go to the desktop directory and type
bspatch drod drod drod11-13patch
-Replace DROD.app/Contents/MacOS/drod with the new "drod" file.

(There are other ways, but this way I don't have to know where the DROD package is, and it simplifies the command line stuff.)

This should work if you have 2.0.11 and want to upgrade to 2.0.13. The issues are:
-Someone should explain to Elfstone exactly how to do this, notably the backup process.
-Is bspatch installed on the Mac? Apparently it is, because Apple uses it for OS upgrades.
-Is the "drod" file actually the executable? A simple ".exe" extension would have helped, but it seems that's not how it works in the Mac world. I don't see what else it could be. Such a simple question for someone who knows the Mac..

[Last edited by michthro at 11-20-2006 08:44 AM]
11-20-2006 at 08:40 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
michthro wrote:
The procedure should be:
-Back up.
Right. Like you imply, this is the step that would cause grief to most Mac DROD users, who have no clue where DROD is storing their working .dats. (They're in that hidden directory that Elfstone looked up earlier. And Mac users generally have no idea of how to make a backup of a hidden directory like that.)
-Is the "drod" file actually the executable? A simple ".exe" extension would have helped, but it seems that's not how it works in the Mac world. I don't see what else it could be. Such a simple question for someone who knows the Mac..
A file is executable if it has its execute flag set, Unix style. It doesn't work like it does on Windows.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-21-2006 05:31 AM]
11-21-2006 at 05:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
icon Re: Groan!! - deaf again!! (+2)  
I'm ressurecting this because it happened again!

The sound in DROD died 10 minutes ago. I found this thread (which seemed to just stop, a bit unresolved?) and re-read the advice I was given and I've fixed it! :thumbsup , all on my own self! :thumbsup , without having to pester anyone here! :thumbsup

Mike, if you're reading this, I did the thing you said at the bottom of page 1 before I did the thing you said near the top of page 2 (which is what fixed it again). Is there any point in posting the ini which I got this time? would it be useful perhaps to compare it to the previous one?

Elfstone

01-01-2007 at 03:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Go Elfstone! What's an ini? ;)

(yes I'm playing dumb)
01-01-2007 at 06:31 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Elfstone wrote:
I'm ressurecting this because it happened again!

The sound in DROD died 10 minutes ago. I found this thread (which seemed to just stop, a bit unresolved?) and re-read the advice I was given and I've fixed it! :thumbsup , all on my own self! :thumbsup , without having to pester anyone here! :thumbsup

Mike, if you're reading this, I did the thing you said at the bottom of page 1 before I did the thing you said near the top of page 2 (which is what fixed it again). Is there any point in posting the ini which I got this time? would it be useful perhaps to compare it to the previous one?
Hey, that's great that you were able to deal with it successfully, Elfstone! I'm not sure what caused that bug earlier, but it's been fixed in 2.0.14. I know there's not a full Mac version of 2.0.14 out, but once 2.0.15 is released, this problem should be dealt with forever. So no need to post the ini. Thanks for the offer.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-01-2007 11:32 PM]
01-01-2007 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
:)

01-01-2007 at 11:22 PM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Groan!! - deaf again!! ((but I will be extra careful this time))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com