Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Message from the King
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Re: Message from the King (0)  
AtkinsSJ wrote:
Firstly, I know this could be considered as reviving the semi-flame-war. Please don't take it as that. I just feel I have to respond to this post, on page 1:
NiroZ wrote:This isn't some new person who we have never met before, this is Larrymurk, so maybe we should at least give him the benefit of the doubt?
This logic disturbs me. We should give people who have known the rules for a long time benefit of the doubt, but those who are new we shouldn't? How does that make sense?
I mean "Benefit of the doubt" more in the sense that we should wait until larrymurk explained himself before carrying on like as if some stranger has just wondered in acting like this.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 11-16-2006 12:23 AM]
11-16-2006 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Message from the King (+2)  
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Still can't wait for Elf to post.

Well I found it at last. I couldn't remember what I had called the file or where I had saved it on my previous computer. It is possibly too late now anyway, but as it has been asked for, this is what I wrote back then in an attempt to pour oil on troubled waters (and actually it worked in that situation) ;)

I have been thinking about midges.

Scotland is a beautiful country, with much to delight the senses of the discerning traveller. In a geographically small area we have a wealth of differing and wonderful scenery, from verdant rolling farmland in the south to the stark, bleak majesty of the oldest mountains in the world.

In Scotland we also have the occasional midge (well, rather more than occasional, but that’s another story). They are quite remarkable wee beasties, which from time to time have been known to cause a degree of consternation in humans (I have heard it called outright distress, but you know how people exaggerate).

When sightseeing in rural areas of Scotland, especially in the months of July, August and September, it is not unusual to meet up with one or two of these little pests (actually it can be one or two large swarms, but I digress). Midges are particularly fond of still, humid warmth and areas around lochs and burns (and human blood, but that’s another matter). People returning from excursions to such areas have been seen with a bite here or there (in fact, on every exposed bit of flesh, but I really wouldn’t want to alarm you.)

The natural habitat of Scottish midges is predominantly in the West and Northwest of the country - the area with all the mountains and lochs and wilderness and brochs and standing stones and islands and . . . the natural habitat of tourists in fact . So I suppose the message is; if you want to stand on the top of Duncryne looking in wonder up the whole length of Loch Lomond sparkling in the afternoon sun; if you want to spend a pleasant hour or two picnicing and Nessie-spotting; if you want to gaze over pristine, white, silica beaches at the electric blue sea, with the freshest of fresh air in your lungs; if you want to stand in awe watching the sun sink slowly in to the Minch; if you want to marvel at our mountains, breathing in the faint, aromatic smell of heather moorland; in short, if you want to lose yourself in the beauties of Scotland, then you will have to tolerate the occasional midge (it could actually be several hundred thousand of the blighters, but let’s not get sidetracked!)

Scotland and web forums? not so very different!

Elf.

11-16-2006 at 02:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
NiroZ wrote:
AtkinsSJ wrote:
Firstly, I know this could be considered as reviving the semi-flame-war. Please don't take it as that. I just feel I have to respond to this post, on page 1:
NiroZ wrote:This isn't some new person who we have never met before, this is Larrymurk, so maybe we should at least give him the benefit of the doubt?
This logic disturbs me. We should give people who have known the rules for a long time benefit of the doubt, but those who are new we shouldn't? How does that make sense?
I mean "Benefit of the doubt" more in the sense that we should wait until larrymurk explained himself before carrying on like as if some stranger has just wondered in acting like this.
Ah. That makes sense now.
11-16-2006 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
It's also true to say that a minority of individuals are especially bothered by said midges, even while the rest of their family suffer only a few bites. I don't know if that's stretching the metaphor a bit far, though :)

11-16-2006 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Message from the King
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com