Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Push-it puzzles (out of order)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged
icon Push-it puzzles (0)  
I downloaded the "Push it" levelset a while back, and when I downloaded the freeware version of SubTerra, some of the levels were changed to "Out of Order."

Does anyone have a copy of the levelset that has the regular levels instead of the "Out of Order" ones?

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by The Mystic at 11-02-2006 09:55 PM]
10-30-2006 at 07:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant!
Rank Points: 24
icon Re: Push-it puzzles (0)  
This sounds very strange. Have you tried downloading the freeware version again? It works for everybody else as far as I can tell. If not, please attach your player.cfg file and I'll take a look at it.

11-22-2006 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic

File: Push-it.LVL (37.2 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Other
I reinstalled the version I have, and the levels still said "Out of Order." And with my download speed (a whopping 4KB/sec), I haven't had a chance to get the most up-to-date one off your site.

However, I did manage to find an older version of the Push-it puzzles on my backup disk, and it works fine--except the titled levels all have a time limit of 60 seconds. I'm posting it here, so you can see what it looks like; I got it from Spiderweb's website back when SubTerra was still shareware.

EDIT: This version doesn't contain the "Out of Order" levels.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 11-24-2006 10:40 PM]
11-24-2006 at 10:36 PM
The Mystic

File: Player.cfg (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
I hate to double-post, but I can't attach more than one file at a time.

Here's my player.cfg file for you to look at. I didn't play any of the "Out of Order" levels, though.

11-24-2006 at 10:39 PM
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
If you want to send multiple files you could always zip them.
11-25-2006 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Mystic

File: Push-it Puzzles.LVL (115.5 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
Oops, I forgot about that. It's one of the subtle joys of having a mind like a steel sieve.

Anyway, I managed to redownload the installer (25 minutes with my connection), and I still have the same problem. Attached is the "Push-it" levelset that came with the EXE; it contains the aforementioned "Out of Order" levels.

(warning: off topic) By the way, although my player.cfg file doesn't have any "Out of Order" levels recorded on it, it DOES prove that I've solved all the "Supaplex" levels.

11-25-2006 at 07:37 PM
Radiant!
Got it. I'll look into it.

11-27-2006 at 10:23 PM
Radiant!
I think you should download the Push-It levelset again. It's supposed to be 116 kb in size, whereas yours is 38 kb. It would seem that you have an old version. Let me know if this helps please.
12-03-2006 at 11:51 AM
The Mystic

File: Push-it Puzzles.LVL (115.5 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
Here's the only other version of the levelset that I managed to find. It came with the installer from the official SubTerra website, and still has the "Out of Order" levels.

12-03-2006 at 07:50 PM
Radiant!

File: PushExtra.zip (3 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Oh wait a second. Now I get what you mean... in the original Push-It levelset, five levels turned out to be actually impossible (all other levelsets have demos of everything, but I'm not that fond of pushing puzzles so I kind of assumed they were possible out of hand). So these five were removed from more recent versions of the level set.

If you want I can send you the files (in fact I've attached them) but they're really quite impossible :)

[Last edited by Radiant! at 12-06-2006 07:42 PM : attach]
12-06-2006 at 07:40 PM
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
some years ago, I had volunteered to fix them, but got stuck on one that was impossible even with "the obvious minor mistake" fixed, and then I had some personal issues to do with changing jobs/lives. sorry.

12-06-2006 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Mystic
Radiant! wrote:
Oh wait a second. Now I get what you mean... in the original Push-It levelset, five levels turned out to be actually impossible (all other levelsets have demos of everything, but I'm not that fond of pushing puzzles so I kind of assumed they were possible out of hand). So these five were removed from more recent versions of the level set.
5 impossible levels, eh? No wonder I had such a tough time with them. ("The Queue" alone nearly drove me bonkers.)

silver wrote:
some years ago, I had volunteered to fix them, but got stuck on one that was impossible even with "the obvious minor mistake" fixed, and then I had some personal issues to do with changing jobs/lives. sorry.
No need to apologize for not fixing them. By the way, which one was still impossible?

I think I'll have a go at making them playable, and post them here as they're completed.

12-08-2006 at 02:17 PM
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
I have no idea which one. it was years ago.

12-08-2006 at 07:23 PM
Radiant!
The Mystic wrote:
I think I'll have a go at making them playable, and post them here as they're completed.

That would be neat!

12-08-2006 at 07:25 PM
The Mystic

File: turning Ninety-one.SUB (547 bytes)
Downloaded 42 times.
"Turning Ninety-One" should work now, but I haven't solved it yet. I don't think it's possible to complete within even a 999-second time limit. :? I'm posting it here, in case anyone wants to check.

In the meantime, I'm now focusing my efforts on "The Queue," my original nemesis of these puzzles.

12-09-2006 at 04:38 PM
The Mystic

File: secret Passage.SUB (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
After several hours of working on "The Queue" and getting nowhere:angry I've decided to put it aside for a while.

In the meantime, I'm posting a solvable version of "Secret Passage." It was surprisingly easy to fix.

12-11-2006 at 02:56 PM
The Mystic

File: fixed Push-It puzzles.zip (6.3 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Here's the three levels I've fixed so far, all in one zip file: De-Localized, Gordian Knot, and Secret Passage. I'm surprised at how easy they were to make playable.

The Queue and Turning Ninety-One, on the other hand, will probably take me the rest of the year (if ever) to fix.

12-14-2006 at 02:46 PM
Radiant!
Thank you, very cool.

For some reason I'm way better at complex puzzles (e.g. Rooms of Confusion and Razzle Dazzle) than at merely moving blocks around.

You could probably fix Turning 91 so that you don't have to do the cycle quite as often. It gets boring after a while, anyway.

12-21-2006 at 10:46 PM
The Mystic
No problem.

I've seen your puzzles (obviously). I wouldn't be surprised if I never complete some of them, even with cheating.
Radiant! wrote:
You could probably fix Turning 91 so that you don't have to do the cycle quite as often. It gets boring after a while, anyway.
I'd say the same thing is true for The Queue, too, especially because the cycle gets longer with each block you move. I'll look them over again in January, my dance card is rather full at the moment. (I think I've gotten them playable, just not winnable in a reasonable time limit.)

In the meantime, if you want to put the puzzles I fixed back into the levelset, go right ahead.

12-22-2006 at 10:30 PM
Radiant!
Levelpack update with fixed push-it puzzles:

http://crystalshard.net/zip/LEVELPAK.ZIP

[Last edited by Radiant! at 12-26-2006 08:02 PM]
12-26-2006 at 08:01 PM
The Mystic

Downloaded 45 times.
I think I've fixed Turning Ninrty-One. It still has a very long solution time, and I don't have the patience at the moment to make sure. I'm posting it here if anyone wants to test it.

01-23-2007 at 03:55 PM
The Mystic

File: the Queue.SUB (5.3 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
:yahoo:EUREKA!!!!!:yahoo:

I finally fixed The Queue! It has an inasnely long solution time (about 800 seconds), but at least it can be solved now.

01-29-2007 at 07:26 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Awesome!!!

01-29-2007 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic

File: turning Ninety-one v2.SUB (545 bytes)
Downloaded 38 times.
I'm going to give up on Turning Ninety-one for a while, it's driving me nuts. The shortest solution time I've gotten is well over 999 seconds, and I can't seem to get a shorter time without reworking the entire puzzle.

In the meantime, here's the closest thing I've gotten to a working version.

02-17-2007 at 09:39 PM
The Mystic

File: turning Ninety-one v3.SUB (8.5 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
icon Re: Push-it puzzles (+1)  
I rearranged Turning Ninety-one a bit, and it now works. Unfortunately, there's no way it can be solved within a 999-second time limit. I timed myself, and it takes about 1200-1300 seconds to solve in its current form. Believe it or not, that's actually down from the previous versions I've posted.

Any suggestions, comments, etc. are welcome; otherwise, I'm just going to drop the project until about June.

02-27-2007 at 03:03 PM
The Mystic

File: turning Ninety-one v4.SUB (7.6 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
icon Re: Push-it puzzles (+2)  
After a lot of revising, testing, retesting, frustration, swearing, and a few cases of eye strain and carpal tunnel, I finally have a version of Turning Ninety-one (my fourth) that's solvable within the maximum time limit.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, all the "Out of Order" puzzles have been fixed. :glasses

05-21-2007 at 09:23 PM
The Mystic

Downloaded 39 times.
:yahoo: :yahoo: YES!!!:yahoo: :yahoo:

Finally, miraculously, I'm done with Turning Ninety-one. It now works, and has a reasonable (if still a bit long) solution time.

Excuse me while I toot my own horn. :trumpet

Edit: Now all the Push-it levels have been fixed.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 06-12-2007 08:26 PM]
06-12-2007 at 08:18 PM
Radiant!
Awesome job!!!!
06-20-2007 at 01:30 PM
The Mystic

File: fixed Push-It puzzles.zip (17.9 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
Thanks. :D

Here's a level pack containing all five formerly "Out of Order" levels, now totally fixed and playable, for whenever you decide to update the levelset.

06-21-2007 at 04:38 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Push-it puzzles (out of order)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com