Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Grim Fandango (O How I Love Thee...)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Re: Grim Fandango (0)  
I had a lot of trouble getting Monkey 3 working on my XP system - when in doubt for Lucasarts games, run it through ScummVM. Funnily enough, I also had a lot of trouble getting the demo working on my old Windows 95 computer, although this probably had more to do with the computer being a 486.

11-05-2006 at 06:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I just played through the entire Monkey Island series recently on XP, and I had no problems with the first three (so long as I didn't want sound in the first two). The fourth one, however, started crashing whenever I started a Monkey Fight on Monkey Island even if I reload, and I have tried reinstalling and etc., so looks like I'm screwed and won't see the ending of that one. Ah well.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-05-2006 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Dredging this thread back up:

I wanted some good times with Grim Fandango, found my old CDs and installed them on my current machine. On this computer, however, I find that there are lines of texture artifacts in the same screen areas as the polygonal characters which change as the characters move. Big ol' bug which makes the game super-ugly.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

12-16-2006 at 05:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
XP/ME? Right click, select "damn... something like 'properties'" then select the tab which says "Same as before or something... compatability I think. Yeah.". Then hit Win98. That may help. Otherwise run Dosbox. I ran Fandango with that and only the sound was missing but I had a noCD patch.

Something like that anyways.
12-16-2006 at 11:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Compatibility mode didn't work. In fact, it made the cutscenes chug along when before they were silky-smooth.

I'll dig out my copy of DosBox and try that. If I have it on here, in which case I'll have to download it again (which is why I didn't try it before.)

12-16-2006 at 02:31 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Grim Fandango (+1)  
I don't think Grim Fandango works in Dosbox. At least, mine claims to require Windows 95. You could try VMware or Qemu, though. Given a fast enough computer you might be able to run the game at playable speed. Failing that, you could wait until ScummVM's Residual project gets to a usable state (it's going pretty slow, but Grim Fandango is apparently somewhat playable in it already, up to a certain point)..

~ Gerry
12-17-2006 at 12:10 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Grim Fandango (+2)  
trick wrote:
I don't think Grim Fandango works in Dosbox. At least, mine claims to require Windows 95. You could try VMware or Qemu, though. Given a fast enough computer you might be able to run the game at playable speed. Failing that, you could wait until ScummVM's Residual project gets to a usable state (it's going pretty slow, but Grim Fandango is apparently somewhat playable in it already, up to a certain point)..
I've been playing Grim Fandango without any modifications or special installation on a Windows XP laptop. Just installed it from the original CD. I would say I haven't had any problems, but now that I think about it, on two other installations to Windows 2000 and Windows XP there were some hangs that made the game unplayable. It may be that I got around the problems by installing the whole game to hard drive, but I don't really know why the game seems to work better on this third try. Also, there is a patch from LucasArts that is supposed to help some of the problems with running GF on newer machines.

That said, I'm still stuck about halfway through the game and I don't know if it's a glitch or not. I've read six or seven walkthroughs and they all say to do the same thing, yet I can't get Manny to do it. I'll describe the situation below, and if anyone has an idea, please let me know...

Click here to view the secret text

I suspect that there is some small movement bug related to my unexpectedly fast processor that makes it impossible for me to leave the belt. None of the walkthroughs I've read hint at any kind of difficulty leaving the belt to get to the switch. Yet, I've spent maybe 20 minutes trying different key combinations and timings.

Anybody got past this part and can remember in enough detail what movements were necessary to do it? It is worth something if someone can only tell me that what I am doing should work.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 12-23-2006 10:29 PM]
12-23-2006 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Grim Fandango (+1)  
I totally remember that scene, and I also remember having some difficulty controlling the movement in that area even on an old computer. Did you ever try using a different movement type temporarily to get better control? My other suggestion would be that maybe you only need to get the chain near the belt and not lower it just yet. Overall, you definitely seem to be doing the right thing but maybe something subtle is missing.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-25-2006 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
Sorry to necrobump this topic, but in honor of Schafer's new adventure game, I decided to replay this and found a way for it to work relatively bug free (well, at least free of the game-breaking kind) on modern OSes!

ResidualVM is sort of like a ScummVM for GrimE games. I've finished the game on the emulator on OSX (although I had to download the PowerPC Residual for it to work, despite having an Intel Mac).

EDIT (endgame spoilers):
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Snacko at 03-13-2012 08:33 AM]
03-12-2012 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
I'll take advantadge of the necrobump to share this: http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.com/

Some people are updating the textures of GF for it to run on higher resolutions and look splendid. It is still (early) in developement, but they deserve the attention! :)
03-13-2012 at 07:24 AM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Bombadil wrote:
I'll take advantadge of the necrobump to share this: http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.com/

Sorry for the double post, but there is a work in progress playable version of the textures (without facial animations and such).

http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/hi-res-manny-is-here.html
03-21-2012 at 09:44 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Grim Fandango (O How I Love Thee...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com