Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Switching to JtRH hiccup
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon Switching to JtRH hiccup (0)  
I don't know if this goes in a new topic, but: I've discovered that if I switch away from JtRH and then back (in Windows), there's a small "hiccup" as the game seems to step back and then forward about half a move. (If, e.g., my last move was to step north, then when I switch back to JtRH, I see Beethro move south about a half-step towards where he was before my last move, and then move north as if completing my last move.)

I'm using the most recent 2.0.15 patch, though I don't know whether this is a fact about the most recent revision or about my laptop (which is new, and faster than the old one).
10-15-2006 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Switching to JtRH hiccup (0)  
Tahnan wrote:
I don't know if this goes in a new topic, but: I've discovered that if I switch away from JtRH and then back (in Windows), there's a small "hiccup" as the game seems to step back and then forward about half a move. (If, e.g., my last move was to step north, then when I switch back to JtRH, I see Beethro move south about a half-step towards where he was before my last move, and then move north as if completing my last move.)

I'm using the most recent 2.0.15 patch, though I don't know whether this is a fact about the most recent revision or about my laptop (which is new, and faster than the old one).
I'm not seeing this happen. What OS are you using? Does it happen everywhere or only in specific situations? Can someone else using 2.0.15 make this happen?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-27-2006 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I think that he's referring to the fact that when DROD reprocesses a move (like after pressing backspace), DROD goes through the animation again. This would seem normal to me, since Paint() is called upon changing the resolution. However, it might be useful to call Paint() with a boolean argument whether or not to animate, or just draw the current state.

[Last edited by coppro at 10-27-2006 02:11 AM]
10-27-2006 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Coppro - first, Tahnan is male. Second, that doesn't seem to have anything (directly) to do with what he's talking about...

Mike - The bug Tahnan describes occurs to me, on WinXP, occasionally - I just switched back and forth from DROD about 20 times and it happened twice (the 1st and 3rd switches). I didn't do anything different those two times.

10-27-2006 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
I just tried switching to and from DROD about 10 times and it didn't happen to me.

10-27-2006 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Okay, I just checked, it happens every single time, sometimes faster than others (and thus less noticeable, just a slight jitter of the Beethro). It happens every time, so this seems to be the Paint() function reanimating.
10-27-2006 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Okay, thanks for checking this out, guys. Maybe slowing down the move animation will allow me to see this happen. I'll try this out when I can and then look into fixing it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-27-2006 at 04:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
mrimer wrote:
I'm not seeing this happen. What OS are you using? Does it happen everywhere or only in specific situations? Can someone else using 2.0.15 make this happen?

Ah, yes, sorry: Windows XP (Home Edition), v. 2002, service pack 2. And it seems to happen every time: I just opened a hold, made a random move, and then switched back and forth to DROD about 20 times (a la eytanz), and every time, it had that back-up-and-repeat hiccup.
10-27-2006 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
mrimer wrote:
Okay, thanks for checking this out, guys. Maybe slowing down the move animation will allow me to see this happen. I'll try this out when I can and then look into fixing it.
What works for me is clicking on the desktop so DROD loses focus followed by clicking on the game window to give the focus back and so on - every few tries Beethro seems to repeat about half of his last move.

No biggie, though. :)

np: Pole - Raum 2 Variation (Kit Clayton) (R)

10-27-2006 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Switching to JtRH hiccup
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com