Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Magic The Gathering (Who plays it?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
IP: Logged
icon Magic The Gathering (0)  
Who plays Magic The Gathering??? I personally love it. If u got Magic Set Editor post your best cards!

09-23-2006 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Magic The Gathering (0)  
I've played it since last autumn (none on the summer, though), and was going to enter the Time Spiral prerelease as my first tournament today. Which I missed even though I prepared well, because the website of the store gave the wrong time.

Disappointed? Very. (I'd kinda like to write that with font size +50 just to make sure the point goes through, but it would be abusing the forum code)

But yeah, the game is awesome, despite the fairly high cost.
09-23-2006 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lst6
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 211
Well, I di pay too, but now I cant, it's out here and no one is playing anymore, oh well, I guess ill just wait and see.

And a funny fact is that once I went to visit some friends and I had my two decks in the bag, and as I arrived there and I pulled out the decks to play, they were 3! And the third was not mine, but it was a very good deck, arent I lucky?

Things related to the Bar:
Click here to view the secret text

Working on: NOTHING
Accomplishments i'm proud of:
-Solving the bar riddle
09-23-2006 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
The game is great. I have played it for years, but nowdays I rarely play it. It would be kind of interesting to see Dooms genious at work though. For some people playing magic is an artform, and I suspect he might be the kind of person who can be redicously good at the game ;)
09-23-2006 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
I used to play it, but I was terrible at it. I used to have a blue/green deck, but my strongest ever card was only Enormous Baloth (7/7), now I have to settle for Vizzerdrix. (6/6)

09-24-2006 at 09:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I used to play it, but I was terrible at it. I used to have a blue/green deck, but my strongest ever card was only Enormous Baloth (7/7), now I have to settle for Vizzerdrix. (6/6)

Well, don't worry. By best friend that beats me everytime sayed that also he, at the beginning is terrible. So, when I say it, he reply my : Don't worry, play much more and find good combos!

09-24-2006 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
I play it! :w00t I think it's pretty fun to play and my best card is Helm Of Kaldra. Rheb is a good Magic player!

09-24-2006 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Magic The Gathering (+1)  
I just preordered 4 boxes of TS on Saturday. Not all for me, obviously, because my friends and I are going to go have a superdraft.

And I'm leaving to the prerelease in about 1 hour.

This set is going to be awesome! Here's to hoping I rip Tim today!

[Last edited by coppro at 09-24-2006 04:05 PM]
09-24-2006 at 04:03 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
coppro wrote:
Here's to hoping I rip Tim today!
What are you trying? :D
09-24-2006 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
I played it a lot online via gccg, but ultimately got bored with it. It only has very limited set of strategies that work. Unless you play with your good friends, you'll be seeing the same cards over, over and over. (jitte, meloku etc).
It's not a game for someone with imagination.

Just wanted to add I played the paper version several years ago, too. I'm happier spending money on a bleeding edge computer, and still having some left.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 09-24-2006 10:58 PM]
09-24-2006 at 10:42 PM
coppro
Update: I got a Kaervek, and traded for a Teferi (which I'm going to use to build a combo deck with my 4 Eye of the Storms. All my purples were crap.

As for seeing the same decks and strategies over and over again, a rotation is good (Meloku and Jitte become illegal in T2 on October 20). Also, being a Johnny (read this if you don't know what I'm talking about), I love making random combo decks. As such, I'm rarely bored with Magic.
09-25-2006 at 02:44 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Also I think that one of the best ways to play magic is an excitning booster draft. Though I do know what b0rsuk means. It is a bit ugly when people just copy entire decks from the internet.
09-25-2006 at 08:05 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I play magic since Ice Age, and Magic Online too. Time Spiral looks like a fun block for limited. Constructed tends to fall into only a few archetypes each time, that's true, but you can always build a fun and original deck.

09-25-2006 at 09:09 AM
vittro
Blondbeard wrote:
Also I think that one of the best ways to play magic is an excitning booster draft. Though I do know what b0rsuk means. It is a bit ugly when people just copy entire decks from the internet.

Well, my best friend, helps me creating cool and strong decks. We exchange cards, then he look at my deck, find the unuseful cards and then change them with better cards.

09-25-2006 at 12:51 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I've played since around Odyssey, although never at a competitive level. I prefer casual play for several reasons - you get a lot more cards for the same price, it allows for more interesting decks and your decks never become obsolete. When a new set comes out, I usually buy the fatpack and a precon that looks good, then I trade for the cards I need.

Played at the Time Spiral prerelease on the Saturday. I got a Sprite Noble, Wurmcalling, Walk the Aeons and decided to build a GWU defensive deck with fliers. Won the first match, got owned by a Call of the Herd on the second, and after that it just spiraled downwards. My final rank was 27 out of 35, I think. One of my two friends won first place, though.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
09-25-2006 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
This is gonna sound really simplistic, but my friends have some really great cards. One of them has Darksteel Colossus, which is an indestructible 12/12, then another friend has Lich's Tomb (Artifact) which means that you don't die when your life reaches zero or below. I'm pants at Magic, but at least the same can't be said for when I used to play that Yu-Gi-Oh! game.

09-25-2006 at 08:31 PM
Nillo
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Darksteel Colossus, which is an indestructible 12/12
11/11, to be exact. Pretty good, yes, but you'll probably want to have some other way of getting it into play (Tooth and Nail, Elvish Piper etc.).

Lich's Tomb isn't good at all. You'll eventually die when you run out of permanents. Play Worship or Platinum Angel instead.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
09-26-2006 at 07:41 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I saw Glimpse the Unthinkable, quit Magic, never looked back.
09-26-2006 at 10:45 AM
Nillo
Banjooie wrote:
I saw Glimpse the Unthinkable, quit Magic, never looked back.
That's a Timmy card. The effect looks good but it's not worth playing in tournaments. The chance of drawing more than one in the same match is too small, it doesn't change the board situation, and there's not enough other good milling cards to fill a deck. Certainly not something to stop playing Magic because of, if you ask me.

09-26-2006 at 10:52 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Traumatize came out earlier than Glimpse and the effect was more impressive.

But it's not about single cards people, one card doesn't make the deck. Surely enough, a deck built entirely of indestructible 11/11 guys and the like will lose every game...

09-26-2006 at 11:16 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Maurog wrote:
Traumatize came out earlier than Glimpse and the effect was more impressive.

But it's not about single cards people, one card doesn't make the deck. Surely enough, a deck built entirely of indestructible 11/11 guys and the like will lose every game...

You mean like blue/green Tooth&Nail/control ?

I always enjoyed building big, funny combodecks. Or just using BIG cards. Nothing's funnier than killing your opponent with Eater of the Days. Or winning a tribalwar game with a deck of walls. (I won against elves !). Or using Loxodon Warhammer instead of jitte - my enemies learned to hate that card, especially that few of my decks didn't have it. Or my Ghark's Thumb + Mana Screw deck + Wirefly Hive + Fiery Gambit + ... (unglued, but...)
Or the red human-dragon legend/enchantment + living lands or whatever the card is called... you know, an army of 4/4 flying lands. Or binary deck with just swamps and relentless rats. Or another deck built around Ghitu War Flame(name?) + that 1/2 "shooting" goblin... Wall of Blood + Spirit Link combo... Deepwater Ghoul + Loxodon Warhammer... It's all about style.
And MTG doesn't leave much room for such decks. No room for tinkerers. Time to move.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 09-26-2006 09:56 PM]
09-26-2006 at 09:45 PM
coppro
I just checked the DCI site - I came in 18th (not bad, my best showing yet, not counting the 5/9 in 2HG at the Coldsnap prerelease). I was close to winning prizes. Time Spiral is going to have awesome limited. But, according to the site, the prerelease was held at "TBA".
09-26-2006 at 11:44 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Magic The Gathering (Who plays it?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com