Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : 48x48 Icon (Pleeeeeese?)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon 48x48 Icon (0)  
Since Vista's default icon size is 48x48, can we have an icon of that size for DROD? Pretty please?

09-23-2006 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: 48x48 Icon (0)  
I was also going to request that we can use .gif images. Pleeease?

Keep posting,

09-23-2006 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
.gif is a propietary format, .png is open-source. ergo .png wins. there are numerous free programs that will switch between the two.

09-23-2006 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I like the part where nobody knows that Gamer's talking about the icon size for the application.

Note that doing 48 by 48 icons makes me /cry/, because that's a lot of work. D:
09-23-2006 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
I knew just what gamer was talking about, thank you very much.

09-23-2006 at 08:22 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: 48x48 Icon (+1)  
Banjooie wrote:
I like the part where nobody knows that Gamer's talking about the icon size for the application.

Note that doing 48 by 48 icons makes me /cry/, because that's a lot of work. D:
That's why you make huge, detailed icons (or vector graphics) to begin with and scale them down...

09-23-2006 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
DROD on Mac has a 128x128 icon...

>_> <_<

09-24-2006 at 06:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
silver wrote:
I knew just what gamer was talking about, thank you very much.
Okay, then you went on an open source rant and /ignored/ what he was talking about.

I maintain my right to lawl.
Briareos wrote:
That's why you make huge, detailed icons (or vector graphics) to begin with and scale them down...
Yes, but that's, like. That's not pixel art. D:

....and I. What. Scaling things down like that does not always make them look better. And if it's vector art, well, again, not pixels.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 09-24-2006 09:19 AM]
09-24-2006 at 09:07 AM
silver
I was directly replying to the post immediately before mine. Yes, I did ignore the original post in the thread, because I had nothing to add or subtract from it.

09-24-2006 at 09:14 AM
Banjooie
...besides, silver, has anyone, ever, actually heard of a lawsuit that ever meant anything regarding gif? It may as well be public domain at this point. Trademarks and copyrights have /not been defended/.
09-24-2006 at 09:20 AM
silver
I wasn't ranting, I was just explaining why .gifs weren't likely to be used.
--
It's not a copyright or a trademark, it's a patent on the LZW compression used in .gif format. The "no enforcement = you lost it" rules apply only to trademarks, not patents or copyrights. Anyway, as near as I can tell from googling around, the patents have recently expired. So probably a non-issue. Although .gif has no advantages over .png, so there's no pressing need to switch, and then one doesn't have to think about the other side of "probably".
--
I don't understand your tone in this thread at all. I was simply trying to answer a request with a quick response, which was not negative at all. Since then I've been accused of stupidity and ranting.

[Last edited by silver at 09-24-2006 09:43 AM]
09-24-2006 at 09:33 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
silver wrote:
I don't understand your tone in this thread at all. I was simply trying to answer a request with a quick response, which was not negative at all. Since then I've been accused of stupidity and ranting.
Or better yet, explain why, Banjooie, that majority of your posts over the last week or so have been practially flamebaiting and unnessicary.
09-24-2006 at 09:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Banjooie wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Yes, but that's, like. That's not pixel art. D:
Big whoop... neither are Eric's drawings for DROD, and I still haven't heard you complain about those... :lol
....and I. What. Scaling things down like that does not always make them look better. And if it's vector art, well, again, not pixels.
That's where you go in and touch up the downscaled image, or the unscaled image prior to downscaling. I bet you that's still less work than drawing all differently sized icons from scratch (well, except for perhaps the 16x16 ones), and it gives them a similar look to boot...

np: Yoko Kanno - Cream (Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex OST Be Human)

09-24-2006 at 10:08 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Banjooie wrote:
...besides, silver, has anyone, ever, actually heard of a lawsuit that ever meant anything regarding gif?
Usually people don't do lawsuits, but only pays lots of money. This is also the reason why your mp3 player is so expensive, because you like to pay anyway.

Note that there is no reason to use gif anyway, unless you only want 256 colour pictures.

[Last edited by Tim at 09-24-2006 12:22 PM]
09-24-2006 at 12:14 PM
Briareos
Tim wrote:
Note that there is no reason to use gif anyway, unless you only want 256 colour pictures.
<nitpick>Well, you can use more than 256 colors in a gif...</nitpick>

np: DJ Shadow - DJ Shadow Live In Oxford, England (Oct. 30, 1997) (Endtroducing Deluxe Edition (Disc 2))

09-24-2006 at 01:45 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: 48x48 Icon (+2)  
I like kittens.

(I have nothing whatsoever productive to add; I just felt the tone in here needed to be lightened.)
09-24-2006 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
NiroZ wrote:

Or better yet, explain why, Banjooie, that majority of your posts over the last week or so have been practially flamebaiting and unnessicary.

Hey, I have been making perfectly good posts. Sure, there's been opportunity for some of that chicanery, but I certainly haven't been doing nothing /but/.

(Of course, it's arguable that I've ironically drawn this thread offtrack by commenting on people drawing it offtrack, so I'm going to leave the thread now.)
09-24-2006 at 06:50 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I sometimes wonder if you'd all behave better if I came to your house and stood over your shoulder, reading what you type.

I would, too. I just can't resist reading over people's shoulders.

09-26-2006 at 12:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Mattcrampy wrote:
I sometimes wonder if you'd all behave better if I came to your house and stood over your shoulder, reading what you type.

You forgot the whip, don't forget the whip...
09-26-2006 at 12:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
NiroZ wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:

You forgot the whip, don't forget the whip...

And the thread takes a turn for the /creepy/.
09-26-2006 at 07:43 PM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
silver wrote:
.gif is a propietary format, .png is open-source. ergo .png wins. there are numerous free programs that will switch between the two.

If you got a link, could you show me? Thanks.

Keep posting,

09-26-2006 at 08:16 PM
silver
jfgi.

edit (for whomever modded me down): I'm serious, though. I'm no better at operating google than anyone else, and probably worse than most people.

edit2: and more to the point, he knows what computer/OS he needs the program for, and I don't know what's on his desk. ergo, I'm in a worse position to google for the software than he is. I was perfectly justified in saying he should find it himself.

[Last edited by silver at 09-26-2006 11:02 PM]
09-26-2006 at 09:35 PM
Banjooie
Try 'The GIMP'.

As for modding Silver down for not knowing where something is: I call shenanigans.
09-26-2006 at 11:05 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
silver wrote:
jfgi.

Careful! If you don't know the meaning of that phrase, you might end up in an infinite recursive loop. "jgfi for jgfi", ad nauseum. My puny brain almost dumpcored.
09-26-2006 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
You could hypothetically only jfg jfg, or jfg jfg jfg jfg jfg jfg jfg....
09-27-2006 at 01:58 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
I really don't see what the Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis has to do with anything.

09-27-2006 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
This only makes me realise how much we need to get an "Off-topic" icon to mark a topic from the board that it's irrecoverably off-topic. I tell you, only on the DROD forums.

09-27-2006 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Schik wrote:
I really don't see what the Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis has to do with anything.
It's a conspiracy. Haven't you been listening to Mel Gibson lately?
09-27-2006 at 07:33 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: 48x48 Icon (+3)  
Ohhhhhh. I get it! Mel Gibson's a cinema icon, and if you go to his page on IMDb, it shows that he's been in 47 movies and TV series, plus he has one in development that isn't shown; and he's 48 years old. So he's a 48x48 icon!

Except that he's 50, not 48. I don't know how that works. Maybe those extra two years are in .gif format, so they're proprietary and don't count.
09-27-2006 at 07:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
This only makes me realise how much we need to get an "Off-topic" icon to mark a topic from the board that it's irrecoverably off-topic. I tell you, only on the DROD forums.
Nah, what we need is a fully fledged Slashdot-like moderation system complete with meta-moderation.

What? :look

09-27-2006 at 08:30 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : 48x48 Icon (Pleeeeeese?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com