Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New monster idea: Mega-Blob
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon New monster idea: Mega-Blob (0)  
This monster is kind of a combination of three things. I believe on the SF page, somebody brought up "mobile tar", and I know there were "dummies". A third part of this monster is "Morpha" of Zelda: OOT fame.

This monster sounds like what it is. A blob. A blob with a nucleus somewhere in it (up to the level creator, but must be in there.)

Motion:

Every time Beethro moves, the nucleus moves towards him, and the blob attempts to be as close to the nucleus as possible. The nucleus may only move to a square occupied by the blob. It will move as a roach, so it is possible to keep it behind a wall. So the order of movement would be: Beethro, mimics, nucleus and other monsters, blob. The blob can move into any size of passageway.

How it kills:

The Mega-Blob does not kill, but it can trap Beethro so he can not move. Addendum to motion: If the blob has caused Beethro to be unable to move (walls, orbs, etc.) the nucleus will not move towards Beethro because...

How to kill it:

This is the coolest part, because there are (kind of) two ways to kill it. The reason it has a nucleus is because if it is stabbed by Beethro or a mimic (or hurt by another aid, somehow) then the entire blob will die. All of it. This could create huge puzzle potential as many spaces can be removed at once. Or, at least, it could be a new way of holding off enemies without yellow doors. Mimics can not be placed in the blob (I thought of this at first), because I think a new layer would have to be made in that case. However, the blob will not cover the mimics. That way, the mimic can be placed in such a way that the nucleus would come towards it.

How to kill it part 2:

The blob is fairly invincible. Beethro's sword has no effect on it, when it is large. If the blob has gotten into a passageway where it is one row or column wide/tall, then Beethro's sword will have an effect. It takes more time to kill it than with the nucleus slaying, but provides a benefit to take away from the invulnerability. If part of the blob manages to separate itself from the nucleus, through the blob, somehow, then it will die.

One other thing I know would be a question:
If there are two blobs originally in a room, they can combine into one large Mega-Blob. Both nuclei would survive, and both would have to be killed for the blob to be destroyed.

Comments? Questions?

08-07-2003 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
icon Re: New monster idea: Mega-Blob (0)  
Nice idea, but I would like some clarification on the shape specifics. I'm thinking that it simply deforms, tar-style, into whatever shape is necessary to move along. The only exception would be that it can move through 1xSomething passageways by squashing up really tight. Initial shape, I suppose, is up to the level creator. The entire mass moves in the same direction at the same time, except when it has to deform. After coming out of a passageway it had to deform to get into, it will retain its deformed shape until another passageway is encountered. Is that about it?

08-08-2003 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
Hmm...close, but not quite. It will deform to get into the passage, but it will spread if it can, kind of like (I forgot who's) poisonous gas. Initial shape is indeed up to the creator. It is, in this way, extremely fluid, or something. But it can (will) move in a spreading manner, as long as it still touches a nucleus.

08-09-2003 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
That would be my poisonous gas idea.

And awaaaaay....

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-09-2003 at 02:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : New monster idea: Mega-Blob
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com