Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Wii Prices and Launch date (US $249.99!)
<<2345
Page 6 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
IP: Logged
icon Re: Wii Prices and Launch date (0)  
I don't have the Wii itself yet, but I have Trauma Center Second Opinion, and the staff at Microplay's letting me play on their store 'demo' copy until I get the system myself, because the game's excellent for showing off. (Sadly, they're unlikely to get new shipments before next year. :( )

Let me just say that this game is hot. Red Steel, though... impresses me. It just gets the feel of what an FPS for the Wii should be (though true 1:1 aiming would be awesome if it could be figured out).

11-30-2006 at 09:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
So, the Wii's finally coming out over here tomorrow. I'm not going to get it straight away, but what's it like?

12-07-2006 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
Innovative in motion control, fun (You won't get tired of Wii Sports for a while. I haven't yet.) Graphically decent--from somebody who hasn't owned an Xbox or PS2, though I have played them. It aims to be more of a mini-game/party machine, as far as I can tell. Oh, and it's succeeding.

12-07-2006 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
I heard that over there it's becoming the fastest selling console ever.

12-07-2006 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
It's possible. I've heard rumors that people are still lining up for Wiis when they are out in stores. I'm just glad I got mine on US launch day. :)

12-07-2006 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Same here. I finally got my second controller a couple days ago. Tennis is the best non-shooter multiplayer I have played ever!
12-07-2006 at 09:37 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
icon Re: Wii Prices and Launch date (+1)  
The Wii even will get non-hardcore gamers addicted. And yeah, Its very more successful than the PS3. (yes!) Personally, I am a big fan of Nintendo, so even if the Wii was $700, I'd buy it. It is worth it.

And yet- the graphics aren't the best, but it's a step-up from the GameCube. It's certainly nothing compared to the PS3's graphics, and it can't play DVD's or BlueRays, or HDDVDs, but it is really worth it.

The game line-up so far is okay; probably could be better, though. The Wii sports are really addicting, I still play that 20 minutes a day, at least. Zelda is the best release so far, too. But what I've really been hooked on this week is the classic games on the virtual consuls! I just love classic games. Well, that's my thoughts.

12-07-2006 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Who here has tried Bonk's Adventure yet? That game is odd!
12-07-2006 at 10:27 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
We still need to get some friend codes out there. I'll give everyone mine when I get home, although I've as of yet had no luck hooking it up to the Internet.

I want your Miis!

12-08-2006 at 12:14 AM
tokyokid
Ezlo wrote:
Who here has tried Bonk's Adventure yet? That game is odd!
I toyed with the idea of getting, it, and I just might, If I stop wasting my time with the classic Mario games. :P
12-08-2006 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Bonk is totally awesome. The sequel was possibly my favorite game I owned for the Turbo Grafx 16. When I get the Wii, I will definitely be picking up Bonk. And apparently I am not alone...I believe it is the most popular title. I think it is because it has never yet been repackaged and so few people had the TG16.

On another vaguely related note, I wish Nintendo did something like the 360's Achievements, even just for the Virtual Console games. It adds so much to old games like this...just another reason to buy them if you are on the fence. Ah well.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-08-2006 at 02:47 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Oneiromancer wrote:
Bonk is totally awesome. The sequel was possibly my favorite game I owned for the Turbo Grafx 16. When I get the Wii, I will definitely be picking up Bonk. And apparently I am not alone...I believe it is the most popular title. I think it is because it has never yet been repackaged and so few people had the TG16.

It may just be the sheer awesomeness of the whole concept. Nintendo systems *did* have Bonk games (there was one for Gameboy and one for NES), but they weren't as good as the TG16 versions.

So yeah, when I get a Wii, I'm gonna get Bonk. :nodnod:

12-08-2006 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
I'm still confused by the turbo buttons though. It makes it so you can float over the entire level easily!
12-08-2006 at 03:07 AM
Mattcrampy
I'm 20 hours into Zelda, and I'm pretty comfortable with calling it the best Zelda ever. I've spent at least an hour hovering the little fairy cursor around Link and saying, "Hey! Listen!"

But, at this point, the progression doesn't feel as forced as the Zelda games often are - the amount of variety and creativity in the game is phenomenal, and they've done an excellent job of hiding the formula that is always present in the Zelda games (some more obvious than others), and I appreciate them constraining the game world a bit (although it worried me at first as they hadn't yet established that I'd be able to go back eventually). The sequence just after the end of the third dungeon was one of the most emotional scenes I think I've ever played.

Actually, there's an interesting discussion topic.

12-12-2006 at 01:47 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Something pretty funny happened on Tuesday - about 15 minutes before our store closed, a customer returned a 20GB PS3 for the reason that he had bought it for a friend and then found out he already had one. My colleague and I, wanting to see the thing fly, made three announcements within the course of that time, and while a bunch of people came, no one was really impressed and would have much rather had a Wii instead of that. I think that at this moment, the Nintendo Wii has the highest amount of generated interest.

Still, although this is the Nintendo thread, it was still pretty cool to be able to have time to read the box and just discuss it with other people. I'd never buy one, but it's simply the fact that I can say I've seen a PS3 up close.

12-14-2006 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Still, although this is the Nintendo thread, it was still pretty cool to be able to have time to read the box and just discuss it with other people. I'd never buy one, but it's simply the fact that I can say I've seen a PS3 up close.
I chuckle every time I read someone's comment about the PS3 looking like a grill. :lol

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-14-2006 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Hmmm...knowing the size of the box, I wouldn't be surprised.

12-15-2006 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Nintendo's Been Sued!

No, not over flying remotes. Over the use of a "trigger operated electronic device." Good grief. I think they're trying to make claim based on the part of the patent that says "There is an infra-red output signal transmitted to a receiver for operating the computer." However, since the Wiimote does not actually communicate via infrared - it just uses it as a beacon to triangulate, and communication is by Bluetooth - they should be fine. Any claims made to the actual trigger unit are easily refuted by pointing to the bottom of an N64 controller, as the patent was filed in 2005.

[Last edited by coppro at 12-15-2006 03:42 AM]
12-15-2006 at 03:41 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Wii Prices and Launch date (+2)  
And speaking of flying remotes, Nintendo is officially recalling the old style wrist straps and will replace them with considerably thicker ones. The story is here, but you can jump immediately to the Replacement Request Form for those who fear the death of their TV.

12-15-2006 at 01:55 PM
coppro
Man, Nintendo's clever. What they've done is announced a kind of recall, but it isn't. They're just saying "If you really want to get these new thicker straps, you can. But you don't have to. Unless you're abusive and a moron, this should do fine.". Then, the media picks up and hounds all over it. As any industry news, press - any press, with the exception of stuff that can destroy the industry - is good. Free publicity. And, it gives them a buffer. Anyone who does break an old strap from here on is on shaky legal ground at best, because Nintendo offered a stronger one and they didn't take it, it's their fault. Good job!
12-17-2006 at 05:09 AM
Mattcrampy
It's weird that Nintendo seem to be doing no wrong at the moment. There's lots of peoples who are trying to find something as a reflex action.

Personally, I'm expecting the Wii's software library will dry up third quarter '07. I got my money in early.

12-17-2006 at 06:50 AM
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
And that's where the Virtual Console comes in! I'll bet they're saving the really juicy stuff on there (Mario, Metroid, rare and pricy RPGs etc.) for when the console's going through a dry spell.

12-17-2006 at 10:47 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Nah, I'm sure there will be enough new games after 2007:

Madden 2008, Need for Speed 2008, FIFA 2008, Far Cry 2008 and Mario Party 2008.

(Not very original, I know. Not any good, either.)
12-17-2006 at 11:05 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Tim wrote:
Nah, I'm sure there will be enough new games after 2007:

Madden 2009, Need for Speed: Carbonised underground 3 black, FIFA 2008, Far Cry: Revenge on the Creator for Vengeance, Wii will play sport, and Mario Party Party Party Party Party Party Party Party Party Party.
Fixed.
12-17-2006 at 11:15 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
NiroZ wrote:
Far Cry: Revenge on Ubisoft's Marketing Director
Fixed.

Remember: it's never the creator, but the one who decided to release this thing before it's finished.

[Last edited by Tim at 12-17-2006 12:02 PM]
12-17-2006 at 12:01 PM
coppro
I'm making this post from my Wii!

It takes longer than on my computer though.
12-22-2006 at 08:31 PM
tokyokid
coppro wrote:
I'm making this post from my Wii!

It takes longer than on my computer though.
No kidding. But it is pretty nifty, but slow! ;)
12-22-2006 at 09:02 PM
Ezlo
Yay! I`m posting on the Wii! As everyone else has said, it`s slow. For some odd reason it won`t allow me to type more than one capital letter in a word. Had some real problems getting my password to work. Also, it keeps adding "us" after every period, like so.us :P
12-23-2006 at 01:01 AM
coppro
Ezlo wrote:
Yay! I`m posting on the Wii! As everyone else has said, it`s slow. For some odd reason it won`t allow me to type more than one capital letter in a word. Had some real problems getting my password to work. Also, it keeps adding "us" after every period, like so.us :P

Try going back to it. It seems that the auto-recognizer tries to fix that, but you can turn that off by pressing the arrow just above the backspace.
12-23-2006 at 04:46 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
I browsed the DROD forum from my Wii this week!

But I'm not going to attempt typing messages from there. Two-finger typing is slow enough, but one-finger typing is even worse. If only we could use two Wii remotes at the same time, one in each hand, and get back up to two-finger typing speed... ;)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-31-2006 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<2345
Page 6 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Wii Prices and Launch date (US $249.99!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com