Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Wii Prices and Launch date (US $249.99!)
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Re: Wii Prices and Launch date (+1)  
Bah, you just beat me to it. Article here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19686

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-16-2006 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Wii Prices and Launch date (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Bah, you just beat me to it. Article here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19686

Game on,

<.<

>.>

:D
09-16-2006 at 06:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
What's with the happy face, NiroZ ? (er, never mind. Context ..) Region locking is bad. Lots of excellent games never make it to Europe, for example. If anything is released here that wasn't actually developed here, it's usually more of an afterthought than anything else.

Anyway, all that article says is that the Wii will have region locking. It doesn't say that all games will actually make use of it. So! Everyone who thinks Nintendo UK said that to ward off large-scale importing say "Wii" ..

Heh. Am I cynical, or what ? :P

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 09-16-2006 12:27 PM]
09-16-2006 at 12:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I think I did read that Nintendo games might not be region-locked, but 3rd party could be. Or perhaps vice-versa. Essentially the Wii does support region-locking if the game publisher chooses to use it.

And yes, personally I think region locking is bad, but I also don't really want to play an untranslated game (unless it's something where it really doesn't matter at all, but I don't play those kind of games too often). So I don't see it affecting me too much.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-16-2006 at 09:29 PM
NiroZ
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think I did read that Nintendo games might not be region-locked, but 3rd party could be. Or perhaps vice-versa. Essentially the Wii does support region-locking if the game publisher chooses to use it.

And yes, personally I think region locking is bad, but I also don't really want to play an untranslated game (unless it's something where it really doesn't matter at all, but I don't play those kind of games too often). So I don't see it affecting me too much.

Game on,
True, but how much traslating needs to be done to play a UK game in the US, or vice versa?
09-17-2006 at 12:58 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
One thing I like is that the industry seems to have lost its focus on Japan. Release dates are coming closer, major games are coming out at the same time, etc. Makes me happy, because it seems pointless to develop something in one language and then spend a fair bit of time localizing the game, instead of just having the dialogue written up simoultaneously by someone who speaks English.

Might help cut down on translation errors, too.
09-17-2006 at 01:11 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
coppro wrote:
One thing I like is that the industry seems to have lost its focus on Japan. Release dates are coming closer, major games are coming out at the same time, etc. Makes me happy, because it seems pointless to develop something in one language and then spend a fair bit of time localizing the game, instead of just having the dialogue written up simoultaneously by someone who speaks English.

Might help cut down on translation errors, too.
Ah, considering you would need more than just one person to traslate everything, i doubt it would make it faster.
09-17-2006 at 01:24 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Yeah, I mean come on, they're releasing the Wii a couple of weeks after it hits the US instead of the customary six months. That alone wins my gaming dollars. Even though Nintendo will make more money than the third parties and they'll start dropping the Wii like it's burning their fingers. So everyone buy Rayman and Madden 07.

The other thought I had is that you might not need the nunchuck attachments for all four players.

09-20-2006 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Mattcrampy wrote:
The other thought I had is that you might not need the nunchuck attachments for all four players.
I'm guessing the same thing. And won't controllers also be sold by third parties for cheaper (say, $20-30 instead of $40), as usually happens?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-20-2006 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
In the incredibly unlikely event that I get my hands in a game in development for Wii, I'd be tempted to make the player selection be based on the attachment, so players would have different abilities depending on whether they had a nunchuck or a classic controller or nothing or whatever.

09-20-2006 at 06:14 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
mrimer wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
I'm guessing the same thing. And won't controllers also be sold by third parties for cheaper (say, $20-30 instead of $40), as usually happens?
I would say likely. However, from my experience, it is NOT worth it. For my GameCube, I got a third party controller for about half the price of a Nintendo controller. However, it really really doesn't work very well. Just for an idea, one game I have has the ability to "test" the controller (I don't think that's the word it uses) in which you move the control stick all the way around, and it draws a picture based on how you've moved it. With Nintendo controllers, it makes a nice symmetrical box like its supposed to. With this controller, it makes a lopsided triangle. This is an idea how well the control stick works. Even if you exclude the fact that the control stick doesn't work very well, the A, B, X and Y buttons are much harder to press, and occasionally stick a little. Overall - not a good experience.

09-20-2006 at 07:07 AM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
mrimer wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
They may be cheaper, but at least where Nintendo is concerned, I have *never* had a third-party controller for any of the Ninty systems I've had (all but N64) that was even *as* good as a first-party one, let alone better than.

09-20-2006 at 08:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Okay, I"m thinking about buying tickets for the Nintendo Fusion Tour because it comes right to my home town, which is rare for these types of things. I was sure they were going to Boston, but they are actually going to Worcester! Yay! So, I'll tell you guys how the Wii is if you want. I hear that Excite Truck, Metroid Prime 3, and Elebits are going to be there. No Zelda unfortunatley, but hey, something is better than nothing!
09-20-2006 at 01:17 PM
mrimer
Kevin_P86 wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
I would say likely. However, from my experience, it is NOT worth it. For my GameCube, I got a third party controller for about half the price of a Nintendo controller. However, it really really doesn't work very well. Just for an idea, one game I have has the ability to "test" the controller (I don't think that's the word it uses) in which you move the control stick all the way around, and it draws a picture based on how you've moved it. With Nintendo controllers, it makes a nice symmetrical box like its supposed to. With this controller, it makes a lopsided triangle. This is an idea how well the control stick works. Even if you exclude the fact that the control stick doesn't work very well, the A, B, X and Y buttons are much harder to press, and occasionally stick a little. Overall - not a good experience.
I'd assume it's generally this way as well. However, my experience on my Gamecube has been as follows:

- Nintendo controller was included
- bought three more cheap 3rd-party controllers

The Nintendo joystick broke over a year ago (i.e. the analog stick broke off!), while the other three are still functioning fine. Go figure.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-20-2006 05:18 PM]
09-20-2006 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
For my Gamecube I have the wireless Wavebird controller, which I believe is generally regarded as the 1st-party wireless controller that all other 1st-party wireless controllers are measured against. I certainly don't want to go back to wired controllers, and I got a Logitech one for my PS2 from a friend but I don't think that Sony makes their own. The Logitech one is nice though.

Game on,

09-20-2006 at 10:50 PM
coppro
I have had bad experiences with 3rd-party gear. It tends to break, have unnessecary features that reduce functionality, and/or just suck. I really haven't seen a 3rd-party controller that functions properly, has all its functions outlined properly (I have seen way to many controllers with a nice and shiny turbo button and no way for you to find out how to use it, not even an instruction sheet), and isn't full of features you can't expect to use (such as a combo Xbox-PS2-Gamecube controller, the number of people who own all three is minimal, and at least 2 out of three consoles won't feel right).

As for mrimer's stick-breaking, I have never heard of such a thing happening, and it sounds more like controller abuse than anything else. Quick! Call the SPCC!
09-21-2006 at 12:52 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Ahhh...it's nice to have indirect connections to Nintendo.

One of my coworkers in Electronics talked to the Nintendo rep, and I found out the following information for Canucks. The Wii will be coming out on November 19th along with the US, for a retail price of $279.99 CAD. Expect any accessories and games to cost anywhere from the same American to about $5 CAD more than the US retail price.

09-21-2006 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:

One of my coworkers in Electronics talked to the Nintendo rep, and I found out the following information for Canucks. The Wii will be coming out on November 19th along with the US, for a retail price of $279.99 CAD. Expect any accessories and games to cost anywhere from the same American to about $5 CAD more than the US retail price.

YES! That means that we're finally not getting majorly banged on the exchange rates! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :yay :yay :yay :1eye :8bounce
09-21-2006 at 05:37 PM
mrimer
coppro wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:

YES! That means that we're finally not getting majorly banged on the exchange rates! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :yay :yay :yay :1eye :8bounce
That's great! Now Mexico and other southerners, on the other hand...

09-21-2006 at 06:07 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
In case anyone's already planning out their Nintendo Wii bundle, you can now easily calculate it (Including all applicable taxes!) with the Nintendo Wii Price Calculator. Has both Canadian and American prices and taxes on it. Woo!

09-22-2006 at 06:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Okay, change of plans, I'm no longer going to the Nintendo Fusion Tour, I already had tickets for the Ig Nobel awards that I didn't know about. -_-
09-22-2006 at 02:03 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I just realized some of the best news all week.

The 19th is the Sunday falling on Thanksgiving weekend. And I have a week off that week. Therefore, I will be playing on the Wii for approximately all of my waking hours. Woohoo!

Nintendo...I love you.

09-22-2006 at 03:28 PM
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
Some additional summary stuff.

To note, The Wii Opera browser is Flash-compatible.
09-23-2006 at 01:17 AM
NiroZ
Can someone please tell me what is so exciting about a browser on a console?
09-23-2006 at 01:33 AM
Ezlo
Because.
09-23-2006 at 01:36 AM
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
Considering the flash capabilities, a small deal with Macromedia might make for some indie Wii games, however limited by Flash's inherently high processor usage.

That's good.
09-23-2006 at 01:45 AM
Mattcrampy
Are you sure that C$279 price is accurate? Wouldn't it be more in the realm of $379?

Edit: We are so Nintendo fanboys.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 09-23-2006 03:36 AM]
09-23-2006 at 03:36 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
NiroZ wrote:
Can someone please tell me what is so exciting about a browser on a console?
'OMG You've gotta see this thing on YouTube!'
'Meh, I don't want to go stare at your computer screen.'
'OK, so I'll show you on the Wii!'

09-23-2006 at 03:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Mattcrampy wrote:
Are you sure that C$279 price is accurate? Wouldn't it be more in the realm of $379?

Edit: We are so Nintendo fanboys.

You mean Canadian? Nope, the exchange rate has been running after the US for a while now.

I really feel like I should feel bad about saying this (I don't), but the dollar started going up as soon as Chretien got out of office. And Martin didn't really help. But yeah, according to Google, 1 Canadian dollar = 0.889284126 U.S. dollars.
09-23-2006 at 03:45 AM
Mattcrampy
Damn. I liked C$1 = A$1.

09-23-2006 at 03:58 AM
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Wii Prices and Launch date (US $249.99!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com