Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Invisibility potion + tar growth
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Watcher
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 902
IP: Logged
icon Invisibility potion + tar growth (0)  
I'm not sure whether this is intentional or not. Anyway, if you're invisible, tar won't grow unless there's a tar mother inside the invisibility radius. So far, so good. However, it seems that it will also grow if there's a tar baby inside the radius. This seems like weird behavior. Discovered in Erik's new hold, 1N1E.

08-05-2003 at 01:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Invisibility potion + tar growth (0)  
Mike and I were discussing that last night. I'm torn - I kinda like it, but then I worry that it's too limiting. What does everybody else think?

08-05-2003 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
No. It's not at all intuitive. Tar babies don't cause tar to grow, they're independent from the tar and tar mothers. If you allow this then you might as well allow queens to spawn under invisibility when roaches are in range, as this is effectively the same. I don't think it really adds anything to the game and will just confuse players.

"Oook!"
08-05-2003 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Invisibility potion + tar growth (0)  
krammer wrote:
No. It's not at all intuitive. Tar babies don't cause tar to grow, they're independent from the tar and tar mothers. If you allow this then you might as well allow queens to spawn under invisibility when roaches are in range, as this is effectively the same. I don't think it really adds anything to the game and will just confuse players.
I'm swayed. Just changed it to remove tar baby-caused spawns.

-Erik

08-05-2003 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Wait, I am even more confused now...why don't tar mothers grow regardless of Beethro's invisibility? I mean, they just want to expand, regardless of Beethro's presence, I should think. I made the same argument earlier with roach queens...I thought they should always spawn every 30 moves. In both cases, if roaches or tar babies don't run after Beethro because of his invisibility, then the spawning will (for roaches) or can be (for tar babies) stopped, but that is reasonable. The most intuitive thing to me is that spawning occurs regardless of Beethro's visibility. The only argument against that is to ask why Beethro doesn't come upon rooms that are already totally filled with tar or roaches. And I don't have an answer to that.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-05-2003 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
Oneiromancer wrote:
why Beethro doesn't come upon rooms that are already totally filled with tar or roaches
You are right. The editor should be changed so that placing a roach queen fills the bounding area with roaches :D

08-05-2003 at 06:31 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Oneiromancer wrote:
Wait, I am even more confused now...why don't tar mothers grow regardless of Beethro's invisibility? I mean, they just want to expand, regardless of Beethro's presence, I should think.
This was my original stance, but I've come around. The puzzles you get out of spawn-only-if-smelled behavior are too good to pass up. Of course, a person can make the argument that the spawn-if-tar-babies-smell is good for puzzles too, but I think it takes us further into counter-intuition with less value.

Also, don't try to find the explanation for why monsters only come alive when you enter a room. That way lies madness!

-Erik

08-05-2003 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well, your hold has some pretty cool rooms utilizing this option, so I guess I don't have too much to complain about.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-05-2003 at 09:16 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: Re: Re: Invisibility potion + tar growth (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Also, don't try to find the explanation for why monsters only come alive when you enter a room. That way lies madness!

They are obviously hibernating.
08-06-2003 at 01:02 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Invisibility potion + tar growth
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes