Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Non-trivial rooms marked uninteresting.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
IP: Logged
icon Non-trivial rooms marked uninteresting. (0)  
Since this is buried in Holds, I don't suppose it would get much attention there. We have a situation where an architect, tokyokid, marked a bunch of non-trivial rooms as uninteresting. wallu compiled a list here. First of all, whether it was deliberate or accidental (and you'll have a hard time convincing me it was the latter), tokyokid can't be trusted with the awesome power of playing with people's scores. Note how I sarcastically say "awesome". I do that because on the one hand, yes, an author can do a lot of damage that way, but on the other hand, it should be simple: Do that, and you lose the *privilege* of marking rooms as uninteresting.

Second, could those rooms please be unmarked? And I really don't want to - and shouldn't - have to wait for tokyokid to do it. A little show of "don't worry, we're not going to allow vandals to turn the hours you spent on those rooms into utter waste" would be very welcome at this stage.
09-08-2006 at 07:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Non-trivial rooms marked uninteresting. (+1)  
Well, I was going to go ahead and unmark those non-trivial rooms, but unfortunately, even though as an admin I can set rooms in other people's holds as uninteresting, I forgot that I cannot un-mark them. Only someone like Schik who has access to the forum code and database can do that. And of course he is away on a business trip right now, followed by a vacation. So it may be up to 2 weeks before he can get to it, unless it is a quick fix from his hotel room, I suppose.

Now, tokyokid had a rocky start, but he seemed to be getting better. This is obviously a step in the wrong direction, and I like that you want to let him keep posting holds but not be allowed to mark rooms as uninteresting. Again, this is something that would have to be changed in the forum code so even though Erik in particular could do it, I am pretty sure he'd defer to Schik on this one.

While we're at it, perhaps we should think about a better way of dealing with this unhighscoreable issue. Perhaps when a room is marked as unhighscoreable, there should be a grace period of a few days to a week before the demos are deleted so that it can be determined if it was the right thing to do or not. The question then becomes how does this information get imparted to the users or admins so that they can be checked and action taken. And I am sure there are a lot more questions too--it is a complicated issue.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-08-2006 at 01:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Non-trivial rooms marked uninteresting. (0)  
I'm pretty sure that if Schik unmarks the rooms, then everyone can just re-upload their scores and the old situation will be repaired. As long as you upload the old score (by uploading all your scores), it will keep the original ordering in the ties.

09-08-2006 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5416
I've marked them as interesting again.

Don't worry, we're not going to allow vandals to turn the hours you spent on those rooms into utter waste. I don't have any time right now to do anything beyond marking those particular rooms, but when I do have time, we'll see what we can do.

09-08-2006 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
michthro
Oh, thanks ever so much, Mr. Schik. It's so good to know that the thousands and thousands of hours of players' time is in the hands of such a capable ape, who believes that the thought of screwing it up is not a nice thought.

I can also ape. See?
09-08-2006 at 06:02 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Now if I could just put something like ":scores_needed" in my sig instead of having to update it when I'm not even playing the game.
(just kidding)

09-08-2006 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I don't really understand why an architect shouldn't be allowed to say 'My hold is not for high-scorers'. Is it the equivalent of saying that 'my game is not for critics'? Maybe.

But this just makes me want to make a hold based around stepping on master walls.
09-08-2006 at 08:48 PM
michthro
Banjooie wrote:
I don't really understand why an architect shouldn't be allowed to say 'My hold is not for high-scorers'. Is it the equivalent of saying that 'my game is not for critics'? Maybe.

But this just makes me want to make a hold based around stepping on master walls.
If an architect wanted to do that, that's fine. As long as they make it clear in advance. There's a difference between that and only marking rooms as uninteresting long after people have already played it for scores. The difference is rather big, actually.

EDIT: I might add that I have played a lot of holds/rooms that I don't consider to be interesting from a high score point of view, so I don't bother uploading scores for them. I am the last player who wants every room to count for scores. You're missing the point by a mile.

[Last edited by michthro at 09-08-2006 08:58 PM]
09-08-2006 at 08:52 PM
michthro
Hang on. Those scores were actually permanently deleted? The spider has nothing to verify and none of my scores are back. Or are they just not showing on the My Scores page, and the spider's still busy?

I can't imagine that eytanz's idea of a full demo upload will work in terms of tie placement. As far as I know demos are dated according to when they are uploaded, not when they are recorded. And that's how it should be, or it would be wide open to abuse.
09-08-2006 at 09:21 PM
michthro
Oh, as long as they are still somewhere.
09-08-2006 at 09:52 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5416
Sorry guys, I'm a bit scatterbrained at the moment, too much going on.

I've (just now) marked all deleted demos for Roaches Revenge as needing to be reverified. It looks to me like the spider's working on them right now. Sorry for the confusion.

09-08-2006 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I now have 188/180 possible highscores in Roach's Revenge, as do Wallu and Silver. I think the scores in trivial rooms were validated even though the rooms are still marked as unscorable, though I'm not entirely sure.

09-09-2006 at 12:33 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
even more amusingly, 188/180 is a link to the "missing rooms" page. looks like an "=" is there in place of a "<=" :)

09-09-2006 at 03:22 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Non-trivial rooms marked uninteresting.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com