Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What Is This?!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon What Is This?! (0)  
I just felt like searching the net for "DROD" and found this rather unusual screenshot:

http://thethirddimension.planet-d.net/images/previews/drod/ScreenShot03.jpg

What in the world is this - is it a screenshot of the new DROD 3D, or is it a fake?

I think it looks quite cool, though, even if it is a fake.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-02-2003 at 11:50 PM]

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-02-2003 at 11:53 PM]

08-02-2003 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: What Is This?! (0)  
This is great! I want to see much more.

08-03-2003 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Wouldn't it be cool if the lava/slime at the bottom of the pit would be animated - sort of like bubbling and flaring?

However, I don't mean to say the screenshot is bad, but I think the roaches need to be so much bigger - they look too small for Beethro to give a good whack at the moment.

08-03-2003 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
agaricus5 wrote:
What in the world is this - is it a screenshot of the new DROD 3D, or is it a fake?
I don't know much about it. The screenshot is definitely created from some version of TLK's DROD3D. Probably some earlier prototyping work done by one of TLK's artists. The pic has been here for several months, and when it was first up, DROD3D's demos were nowhere near this detailed, so I think this is a faked together kind of thing. Not to say TLK won't get DROD3D looking that good or better.

-Erik

08-03-2003 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Mmmm, look delicious.

What I'd like to see, though, is split levels. With 3D, and some clever thought, you could have some rooms right down near the lava, and other rooms high up, and be able to see further than just that room (the room in the screenshot is prime example, as the room only changes when Beethro is in the room).

I'm sorry I'm not being very coherant here, because it's a little hard to describe. Basically, introduce slopes, but keep the room designs the same.

Matt

08-03-2003 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hitchhiker
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Since Simon the Sorcerer 3D, I'm somewhat sceptical about 3D-Graphics in Adventures/Puzzlers. Good graphics are nice, but when you suddenly have to jump or run miles for the next room...multi-story-rooms with stairs...*shivers*

Favourite Level so far: The Labyrinth on Level 13.
08-04-2003 at 07:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
But LucasArts pulls it off pretty well, as both Grim Fandango and Escape From Monkey Island were great games. And I am really looking forward to the Sam and Max Hit the Road sequel, which is a fully 3D game.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-04-2003 at 08:07 AM
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
Multi-story rooms seem potentialy neat to me. But I have to shiver with Hitchhiker.... just try playing the demo, it doesn't fit with drod, It's great eye-candy, but I can't play the game without going to birdseye view. I can't tell where my sword is pointed half the time. And with the camera not in a birdseye even level 1 is to %$#% hard. Try it! (there's a download on drod.net)

Imagine going through Dugan's Dungeon from a Doom perspective.... No way!

[Edited by bdcribbs on 08-04-2003 at 08:18 AM]
08-04-2003 at 08:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well, yes, but DROD isn't an adventure game, it is a game that is basically built around its interface. I could see the 3D interface working better if you weren't allowed to see what happened on the other side of walls as it currently stands. But since you can, you then need the bird's eye view, which makes it not as useful to have a 3D game. It looks neat, yes, but the gameplay isn't changed.

I should have specified in my reply that I was only considering adventure games that made the switch to 3D, and not other kinds of games. My fault.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-04-2003 at 08:24 AM
Hitchhiker
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
icon Re: Re: What Is This?! (0)  
bdcribbs wrote:

Imagine going through Dugan's Dungeon from a Doom perspective.... No way!

[Edited by bdcribbs on 08-04-2003 at 08:18 AM]

If you had a BFG 9000 with you, why not? :devil

Oneiromancer, I also loved Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island, though I didn't like the 3D-Mania taking over my most beloved genre. Just look at Full Throttle 2. Yuck.

But I'm looking forward to Sam & Max 2...I just hope that there aren't ANY action sequences.

And DROD 3D is going to be hell for me, should I ever decide to play it. :buh

Favourite Level so far: The Labyrinth on Level 13.
08-04-2003 at 09:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Being a person who stands very firmly on both sides of the fence, I say to all those who wonder 'can adventure games truly be 3D?' that it very much depends on the developer.

For example, very similar sentiments were expressed when Nintendo announced they'd make Zelda 3D, and it turned out great because they carefully thought through what they needed to do to make it work. More recently, Nintendo helped another studio take the Metroid series, a series that many felt would only work in 2D, changed the gameplay completely and yet kept it the same.

(For those of you who don't play consoles, Metroid was a 2D action/platformer with a very non-linear component - your character was plonked down on a map and new levels were unlocked, of a fashion, by gaining power-ups that gave you new abilities, such as the ability to roll through tight gaps, or blow open reinforced doors. The 3D version is a first-person shooter, with a similar map design, but with the addition of an auto-targeter to take focus away from shooting.)

Although I'm speaking blasphemy here, I'd like to see a new level design for DROD 3D that takes advantage of the dimensions offered to it. If you try and graft Dugan's onto a 3D game, it's not going to work as Dugan's is designed to be seen from overhead, as someone's already pointed out.

Matt

08-04-2003 at 12:06 PM
agaricus5
icon Re: Re: What Is This?! (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
Although I'm speaking blasphemy here, I'd like to see a new level design for DROD 3D that takes advantage of the dimensions offered to it. If you try and graft Dugan's onto a 3D game, it's not going to work as Dugan's is designed to be seen from overhead, as someone's already pointed out.

Matt
That's sort of like trying to cram several floors of puzzle into one room - rooms will get to cluttered up or be overfull. In addition, how will the extra floors be viewed? Wouldn't they just get in the way of each other?

08-04-2003 at 04:02 PM
Mattcrampy
Well, it was more of an example.

With the isometric view in the screenshot, you can't see as much of a room as you could with an overhead view. What I'm saying is that the 3D DROD should have levels that takes that into account, and incidently could do things like slopes.

For example, in the room in the screenshot, it's basically two distinct areas. Why not do something fancy and have one right up near the lava, and the other higher up in the sky? Make hills and valleys, as it were.

Of course, an alternative is to have walls with glass panels, or bars.

Matt

08-04-2003 at 08:15 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
When I looked at the screenshot carefully, I realized it was a 3D picture of
Click here to view the secret text
It might not be a fake after all! Isn't that deductive? :thumbsup:

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 08-18-2003 at 06:15 AM GMT: Secret text]

[Edited by NoahT on 08-18-2003 at 06:16 AM GMT: Teensy change]

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-18-2003 at 06:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I think it might say on the screenshot.

If not, yeah, it's that level you decided to hide in secret tags.

I think that was the first thing I worked out.

Matt

08-18-2003 at 12:17 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What Is This?!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com