Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Lyric quote "tag"
Page 3 of 14
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Re: Lyric quote "tag" (0)  
Synchronicity 2, to be specific, but since Synchronicity 1 isn't played on the radio much I won't quibble.

Your turn, thanks for taking it away from me! I think in the future if I know a quote I might wait a bit to let other people have a chance...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-21-2003 at 02:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
Tilt my hat at the sun
And the shadows they burn dark

08-21-2003 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
No one even had a stab. Oh well its Burn for You by INXS

Maybe we need something easier.

Maybe I'm just like my father too bold
Maybe you're just like my mother
She's never satisfied

08-25-2003 at 01:51 AM
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
When Dove's Cry - Prince

I'm sure that's the song... I'm not so sure it was Prince...
08-25-2003 at 05:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Yes it was Prince.
08-25-2003 at 06:28 AM
bdcribbs
I get no kick from champagne
mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all

08-25-2003 at 07:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
You know the only time I've heard that song was in "Blazing Saddles"...I don't think that counts. :P

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-25-2003 at 07:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
icon Re: Re: Lyric quote "tag" (0)  
bdcribbs wrote:
I get no kick from champagne
mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all
I believe it's pretty much a jazz standard now, so I'm not sure who's most known for it. The song's called I Get a Kick Outta You, and Dolly Parton, of all people, has a pretty good cover of this on one of her recent albums.

I want to tell her that I love her a lot/But I gotta get a bellyful of wine
___ ________'s a pretty nice girl/Someday I'm going to make her mine

[Edited by Tscott on 08-25-2003 at 05:50 PM]

08-25-2003 at 05:49 PM
Oneiromancer
Well, I have to do this one. It's Her Majesty, by The Beatles, the very last song on Abbey Road (even after The End), which was the last album they recorded (Let It Be was recorded earlier but released later).

Here ya go:

Now that ain’t workin’ that’s the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV

Game on,

08-25-2003 at 06:22 PM
bdcribbs
icon Re: Re: Re: Lyric quote "tag" (0)  
Tscott wrote:
The song's called I Get a Kick Outta You, and Dolly Parton, of all people, has a pretty good cover of this on one of her recent albums.

Ack, I was thinking Sinatra, but you're right, it is a standard so it was probably a poor choice for this thread. (It was written by Cole Porter).

Oneiromancer wrote:
Now that ain’t workin’ that’s the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV

I know this but I'm taking a break from this game for now :)

08-25-2003 at 06:28 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Lyric quote "tag" (0)  
bdcribbs wrote:
I know this but I'm taking a break from this game for now :)

Well, I knew When Doves Cry too (I had to sing it a bit, but I got it) but I didn't post because I wanted to give someone else a chance. But I have Beatles in my blood, so I couldn't pass one of their quotes up.

Game on,

08-25-2003 at 06:58 PM
Tscott
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lyric quote "tag" (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
But I have Beatles in my blood, so I couldn't pass one of their quotes up.
Hmmm, maybe I should have suck with my first impulse to just post "I want to tell her that I love her a lot/But I gotta get a bellyful of wine", but I was afraid that wouldn't be enough for people to get it.

Yours is Dire Straights, Money For Nothing.

Now, let me ask the musical question: (I can post more if this quote's not long enough)

Who calls the English teacher Daddy-O?

EDIT: I will accept just the song title one this one, if you don't know who sang it.

[Edited by Tscott on 08-25-2003 at 07:17 PM]

08-25-2003 at 07:13 PM
Tscott
No one knows who? Need more?

Who's always writing on the wall?
Who's always goofin' in the hall?
Who's always throwin' spit balls?
Guess who! (Who, me?) Yeah, you!

Who walks in the classroom cool and slow?
Who calls the English teacher Daddy-O?

Again, song title only is OK for this one.

08-26-2003 at 08:54 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lyric quote "tag" (0)  
Tscott wrote:
Hmmm, maybe I should have suck with my first impulse to just post "I want to tell her that I love her a lot/But I gotta get a bellyful of wine", but I was afraid that wouldn't be enough for people to get it.

I would have gotten it anyway, but I don't know if anyone else would have gotten it even if you had put all of the lyrics up and not removed the title words. It's not exactly a well-known song of theirs.

I have no idea what the next one is though.

Game on,

08-27-2003 at 01:13 AM
Tscott
Does no one ever listen to the oldies or to Dr. Demento?

That was Charlie Brown by The Coasters. You know, the song with the funny voice that says "Why's everybody alway picking on me?".

Ok, here's one a little more recent (but maybe just as obscure)...

So we jumped up on the table and shouted "Anarchy"
And someone played a Beach Boys song on the jukebox
It was "California Dreamin'", so we started screamin'
on such a winter's day!

She took me to her parents for a Sunday meal
Her father took one look at me and he began to squeal...

[Edited by Tscott on 08-28-2003 at 04:11 PM GMT: added more lines]

08-27-2003 at 07:14 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
You know, the song with the funny voice that says "Why's everybody alway picking on me?".

I always thought that one was Why Is Everybody Always Picking On Me by The Bloodhound Gang.

Matt

08-28-2003 at 11:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
There would have been more profanity in the quote.

Who's always writing **** on the wall?
Who's always ****** ******* in the hall?
Who's always throwin ****** spit balls?
Guess who! (Who me?) Yeah, you *******.

etc...

08-28-2003 at 02:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Tscott wrote:
So we jumped up on the table and shouted "Anarchy"
And someone played a Beach Boys song on the jukebox

I knew this before you added the lines... but I was waiting to see if someone else would take it. Guess not.
It's Punk Rock Girl - Dead Milkmen

It seems everything I can think of is obscure or old... most the music I know well enough to quote was written before I was born, and the more recent stuff that I know isn for the most part not too popular.
Let's try this one:

Actin' funny, and don't know why,
'scuse me, while I kiss this guy

(if you think I am misquoting the lyrics, then you've got the right song, but the wrong artist)
08-29-2003 at 01:45 AM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Re: Lyric quote "tag" (0)  
bdcribbs wrote:
[It seems everything I can think of is obscure or old... most the music I know well enough to quote was written before I was born, and the more recent stuff that I know isn for the most part not too popular.

Hey...sounds like me. More the old stuff than the new stuff, at least. Anyway, I definitely must be one of those people who have the right song but the wrong artist, because that's one of the more famous "mishearings" of all time.

Game on

08-29-2003 at 02:06 AM
bdcribbs
Yup, but some goofball recorded a remake and sang it that way, and it isn't Weird Al. Weird Al is normal next to this one. I'll give it 24 hours before I give hints or change quotes...

============================================
Actin' funny, and don't know why,
'scuse me, while I kiss this guy

[Edited by bdcribbs on 08-29-2003 at 06:39 AM]
08-29-2003 at 06:25 AM
bdcribbs
OK that was way too obscure.
It was Frank Zappa's remake of a well known song.

Since I don't feel like thinking of another quote, whoever is first to identify that song can have a go.

actin' funny, and I don't know why
'scuse me, while I kiss the sky

[Edited by bdcribbs on 08-30-2003 at 07:04 PM]
08-30-2003 at 07:01 PM
bdcribbs
I thought every one knew that, oh well. No one has touched this thread for days... so:

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
Got two good eyes but you still don't see.
Come round the bend, you know it's the end,
The fireman screams and the engine just gleams...

09-05-2003 at 06:48 AM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
bdcribbs wrote:
I thought every one knew that, oh well. No one has touched this thread for days... so:

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
Got two good eyes but you still don't see.
Come round the bend, you know it's the end,
The fireman screams and the engine just gleams...
Casey Jones by the Grateful Dead. I have an awesome live version of that song that I listen to all the time.

Ok, here's the next quote:
Don't you ever ask them why,
If they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh,
And know they love you.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
09-05-2003 at 02:54 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Aargh! I know the song only as an advertisment jingle. Mostly I can't even place these songs, but it really, really cheeses me off when I know the tune but not the song.

Matt

09-05-2003 at 03:21 PM
Oneiromancer
I believe that is Teach Your Children Well by Crosby, Stills, and Nash (and possibly Young). I'm not sure, so I will wait for confirmation before posting a new lyric.

Game on,

09-07-2003 at 06:49 AM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Oneiromancer wrote:
I believe that is Teach Your Children Well by Crosby, Stills, and Nash (and possibly Young). I'm not sure, so I will wait for confirmation before posting a new lyric.

Game on,
Yeah, you're right. And it's only Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Neil Young wasn't a part of that song.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
09-07-2003 at 08:15 PM
Oneiromancer
I can never remember which ones Neil Young is in unless he sings it (like Ohio) or is prominent in the background vocals. Anyway...

See the man with the lonely eyes
Take his hand, you'll be surprised

Game on,

09-08-2003 at 05:26 AM
DubOSv10
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 31
bdcribbs wrote:
OK that was way too obscure.
It was Frank Zappa's remake of a well known song.

Since I don't feel like thinking of another quote, whoever is first to identify that song can have a go.

actin' funny, and I don't know why
'scuse me, while I kiss the sky

[Edited by bdcribbs on 08-30-2003 at 07:04 PM]

Jimi Hendrix...Purple Haze...off of Are You Experienced...Track 3 I believe....no no...Hey Joe is track 3...it's track 8 then...no 8 is Fire...FUDGE!!! OH DURRR....It's track 1...

Sorry...had to answer that one...I didn't see an answer...lol

The kid will live and learn
As he watches his bridges burn
From the point of no return
09-08-2003 at 07:03 PM
Oneiromancer
Ooops, I would have answered it but I was on vacation. In any case, I had said earlier that I knew the original but didn't know about the (apparently Frank Zappa) remake of it. I didn't want to say what the original was because I didn't want to give anything away.

Oh, and I almost forgot--your signature--Babylon Sisters by Steely Dan--I love that song, excellent choice!

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 09-08-2003 at 08:24 PM GMT: Forgot something]

09-08-2003 at 08:21 PM
DubOSv10
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 31
Donald and Walter...what more can ya want?

Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl but she doesn't have a lot to say
Her Majesty's a pretty nice gir1 but she changes from day to day//

The kid will live and learn
As he watches his bridges burn
From the point of no return
09-08-2003 at 08:37 PM
Page 3 of 14
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Lyric quote "tag"
Surf To: