Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Lyric quote "tag"
Page 1 of 14
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Lyric quote "tag" (0)  
In something completely unrelated to Schik's movie quotes, (not really), I thought I would give some music lovers a chance to join the fun. Please, try to keep to songs that have been on the radio, as some people may own the CDs, but chances are radio is heard by more. It should not matter the age of the song, but try to give (and know, if you're quoting) the group and the song name. To start off:

Too alarming now to talk about/
Take your pictures down and shake it out.

08-01-2003 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Lyric quote "tag" (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
In something completely unrelated to Schik's movie quotes, (not really), I thought I would give some music lovers a chance to join the fun. Please, try to keep to songs that have been on the radio, as some people may own the CDs, but chances are radio is heard by more. It should not matter the age of the song, but try to give (and know, if you're quoting) the group and the song name.
Err... I'm not going to really join in, mainly because my musical tastes are probably very different from most other people, but I'd like to ask a question - is this American radio? This is because people who do not listen to the radio stations that can be found there (I'm ignorant about radio broadcast differences between states :P) for whatever reason (:)) may not have heard of the song before.

Just a thought...

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-02-2003 at 12:23 AM]

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-02-2003 at 12:23 AM]

08-02-2003 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Hrm...that's a good point...I suppose it is American radio, but since I am an American, I don't know too much else...hmm. You have brought up a dilemma here, but I think that between 195 and growing members, the game can go be it American or (to me) foreign.

08-02-2003 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Methinks no one is going to be guessing this one, zex. Perhaps a new lyric quote?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-04-2003 at 08:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Probably. Ah well. That one was "My Hero" by the Foo Fighters.

Now for something that a few more people should know.

"My loneliness is killin' me and I
I must confess, I still believe.

I hate it, but it's popular.

08-04-2003 at 11:35 PM
Oneiromancer
Well, I will confess that if it is a song published after 1990, I probably won't know it, unless it is really, really obvious (and the chorus or something like that). But that's just me. :D

So if I get one right, then beware, because I'll be quoting classic rock songs that only Malarme will be able to get. :devil

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-04-2003 at 11:43 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
It's funny. People SAY it's popular, but how many people have you actually met who like Baby, One More Time by Britney Spears?

Let's go for one that's hopefully less annoying.

Chickety China, the chinese chicken /
You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'

Matt

08-05-2003 at 09:08 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
All Star by Smashmouth.

How about:

Get ready for the big time /
Tap dancing on a land mine

08-05-2003 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
Aerosmith - Rag Doll

I hope this isn't too obscure:

Play me my song \\
Here it comes again

08-05-2003 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
I thought The Oneiromancer would get this one right away...
08-05-2003 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Thanks, now I feel bad. You know, if I play "Name that tune" with the radio in the car with my friends, I can get most songs within the first few notes/beats. But just the lyrics...it's a lot harder. I recognized the "Rag Doll" quote, but this one...

Okay, I looked up those lyrics. Yes, I know that song, but I only really know the last few minutes...the part that really rocks out. That band especially I recognize the music more than the words, except for a few songs.

I would have to say that your choice is pretty obscure...I doubt anyone will get it. You never know, I suppose, so I will not give it away.

Game on,

08-05-2003 at 09:02 PM
bdcribbs
icon Re: Re: Lyric quote "tag" (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
band especially I recognize the music more than the words, except for a few songs.
Ok then:

Play me my song \\
(dah dah dah dee dum dah di dadiyah) \\
Here it comes again

;)
08-05-2003 at 09:12 PM
Oneiromancer
Very funny. :P

Game on,

08-05-2003 at 09:17 PM
zex20913
Schik wrote:
All Star by Smashmouth.

Hate to break it to you Schik, but you were wrong. The song previously mentioned was not All Star, nor was it by Smashmouth. The song is One Week by (the?) Barenaked Ladies But, I guess the game must go on.

08-05-2003 at 09:40 PM
Schik
Eep!

Umm... sorry. Not sure what I was thinking. I know the song, I just goofed.

08-05-2003 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
This post was pointing out that Schik's guess was wrong, but someone else already broke it to him. It was indeed One Week by the Barenaked Ladies.

As a guess at the current song - Play by Jennifer Lopez, by any chance?

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 08-05-2003 at 11:55 PM GMT: I can't spell, I can't sing]

08-06-2003 at 12:51 AM
Oneiromancer
Dear God no! I must intrude: it is the song The Musical Box by Genesis, which is why bdcribbs thought I would get it, since I quote them in my signature. Since I highly doubt there are any other Genesis fans on this board (it's amazing that there are two of us), I must use my powers for evil and disqualify the question by cheating.

My apologies to everyone. Perhaps we can move on and pretend this never happened.

Game on,

08-06-2003 at 01:09 AM
zex20913
Alright...we can either kick it back to bdcribbs for a new quote, or to me for getting the One Week quote, in spirit of the game. Next post voting decides.

08-06-2003 at 03:15 AM
Mattcrampy
Oh god... well, someone else brought Britney Sears into the thread, so I felt that Jennifer Lopez was fair game. Thank god it's not.

As for Genesis fans, I'm an occassional fan. I have one of their songs on my playlist (Driving the Last spike, which I like the chorus for), and there's a very veiled reference to them somewhere else.

Matt

08-06-2003 at 03:20 AM
bdcribbs
zex20913 wrote:
Alright...we can either kick it back to bdcribbs for a new quote, or to me for getting the One Week quote, in spirit of the game. Next post voting decides.

I can't think of another right now, go for it zex.
08-06-2003 at 08:39 PM
zex20913
Alrighty then. I will do a quote. Don't know if anyone's into this genre, but...

"You only get one shot/
do not/
miss your chance to blow/
This opportunity comes/
Once in a lifetime, you know."

If nobody gets it in 24 hours, I'll give a new one.

08-07-2003 at 12:29 AM
Schik
Easy, that's Lose Yourself from Eminem (From the movie 8 Mile).

Next up:
Soft spoken with a broken jaw /
Step outside but not to brawl /

08-07-2003 at 01:28 AM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Schik wrote:
Easy, that's Lose Yourself from Eminem (From the movie 8 Mile).

Next up:
Soft spoken with a broken jaw /
Step outside but not to brawl /

Red Hot Chile Peppers, Scar Tissue.

I must admit, though, that I didn't actually get this one. I asked my brother if he knew it and he did. He's a big fan of them.

And how many ears must one man have,
Before he can hear people cry?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
08-07-2003 at 01:54 AM
Oneiromancer
Is that Blowin' in the Wind by...um...let's see...I think that Bob Dylan wrote it, right? I was never much of a Dylan fan, or of the groups that covered that song (although Billy Joel did a decent live cover).

Since I am not sure, I will wait until submitting my lyric quote. In addition, I am not sure if that should count anyway...I mean, asking your brother is kind of like looking it up, right? Well, whatever, at least you were honest about it.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 08-07-2003 at 02:02 AM]

08-07-2003 at 02:00 AM
bdcribbs
Oneiromancer wrote:
I mean, asking your brother is kind of like looking it up, right?

Depends, did he let his brother choose the new quote? :)

And you are correct.

[Edited by bdcribbs on 08-07-2003 at 02:36 AM]
08-07-2003 at 02:27 AM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Yes, that was the right answer. And I don't consider asking my brother the same as looking it up. I mean, there's a difference between typing the quote into a search engine and asking my brother. It's like he's playing the game too. He did know the answer, afterall. He didn't choose the quote, but I chose it because that song was playing at the moment on my computer, so in a way it was kind of random. I would have used any song playing.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
08-07-2003 at 04:35 AM
Oneiromancer
Well, whatever. :D Here's my next one.

Am I the only one who hears the screams /
And the strangled cries of lawyers in love

Game on,

08-07-2003 at 05:37 AM
Oneiromancer
Okay, that one was "Lawyers in Love" by Jackson Browne. A pretty funny song, actually, but not too commonly known...obviously, since no one got it.

I'll go a little easier on you now:

But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao /
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow

Game on,

08-08-2003 at 04:47 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Revolution but I can't remember who sang it.
08-08-2003 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Lyric quote "tag" (+1)  
Well, since zex's original post says to try to give the group and the song name, I guess that both aren't required. So I will give it to you.

The group is THE BEATLES, by the way, come on man! I command thee to educate thyself in all things Liverpudlian!

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 08-08-2003 at 08:29 AM GMT: Misappropriated name]

08-08-2003 at 08:27 AM
Page 1 of 14
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Lyric quote "tag"
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No