Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Movie quote "tag"
Page 4 of 13
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
IP: Logged
icon Re: Movie quote "tag" (0)  
Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

And then later in the movie...

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Is that The Shawshank Redemption? Been awhile since I've seen that one.

[Edited by Tscott on 08-21-2003 at 03:11 AM]

08-21-2003 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Yes it is...good job there!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-21-2003 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
ok, here's an easy one...

Of course, you can say it backwards, which is dociousaliexpilisticfragicalirupus, but that's going a bit too far, don't you think?

08-21-2003 at 04:11 AM
bdcribbs
Rank Points: 390
I've never seen it, but I'll hazard a guess... Mary Poppins ?
08-21-2003 at 04:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
icon Re: Re: Movie quote "tag" (0)  
bdcribbs wrote:
I've never seen it,
:(

but I'll hazard a guess... Mary Poppins ?
Yep. :)

Now get yourself to a video store and rent it...;)

08-21-2003 at 04:28 AM
bdcribbs
I'll have to convince a friend as I don't own a TV... but I'll do my best.

This one should be easy too (if you've seen it ;) )

Back when I was in this barbershop quartet in Skokie, IL...
08-21-2003 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
Hmm...that sounds like "A Mighty Wind".

08-21-2003 at 05:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
bdcribbs wrote:
I'll have to convince a friend as I don't own a TV... but I'll do my best.

This one should be easy too (if you've seen it ;) )

Back when I was in this barbershop quartet in Skokie, IL...
That's from "The Usual Suspects", one of my all time favorites.

Here's one from a movie I love. It should be easy.
Can we call you "Al"? Or maybe just "Din"? Or how about "Laddi"?'

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
08-21-2003 at 06:13 AM
Oneiromancer
Disney's Aladdin.

New one:

Jane, since I've met you I've noticed things that I never knew were there before; birds singing, dew glistening on a newly formed leaf, stoplights.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-21-2003 at 06:20 AM
zex20913
Would that be George of the Jungle?

08-21-2003 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
No, it would not be. Besides, I thought Jane was from Tarzan? (Which is not the movie either.)

Game on,

08-21-2003 at 08:01 AM
bdcribbs
Quick tangent... this should belong on the lyric tag thread:
George, George, George of the jungle, watch out for that tree
I don't even know where that comes from, it just sprung into my mind reading this thread :) Sounds like weird al maybe, I can't remember.

Is the quote on the table from Romancing the Stone ?

EDIT:
I'm tempted to just edit that guess away... but I suppose I'll leave it, though upon further reflection I'm sure it's wrong.

[Edited by bdcribbs on 08-21-2003 at 08:18 AM]
08-21-2003 at 08:12 AM
Oneiromancer
No, it's not Romancing the Stone either. Sorry!

Yes, Weird Al wrote the George of the Jungle song. At least, the one from the cartoon, I don't know if there was one for the live action movie.

Game on,

08-21-2003 at 04:55 PM
Oneiromancer
Oops, sorry, my quote was from The Naked Gun.

Next one:

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

This one should be super easy...

Game on,

08-23-2003 at 06:34 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Hurrah! One I know!

That's from The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

And by the way, that's actually a compliment.

Right, here's one I've been nursing:

"You know, if your counsellor catches you using, you could get in big trouble."

Matt

08-23-2003 at 12:21 PM
Oneiromancer
Mattcrampy wrote:
And by the way, that's actually a compliment.

Huh, from reading what's going through Bilbo's mind in the actual book, I always thought that he was trying to get away with insulting as many people as possible. It definitely confused everyone, including (apparently) me. Looks like I need to go read that passage again...

Game on,

08-23-2003 at 06:28 PM
Mattcrampy
I can save you the trouble. He's basically saying "I don't know half of you as well as I should, and less than half of you I like less than I should."

But it's worded to confuse and confound people, which I think would be more Biblo's intention, living amongst basically friends for so many years.

Matt

08-24-2003 at 04:15 AM
Oneiromancer
Yeah, but he's still telling half the people there that even though they deserve better, he just flat out doesn't like them that much. A nice, genteel, British insult, sure, but an insult just the same. At least that's how I see it.

Game on,

08-24-2003 at 04:28 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Mattcrampy wrote:
"You know, if your counsellor catches you using, you could get in big trouble."
Umm, umm.... is that from that Sandra Bullock flick.... ummmm............. 28 Days??

08-26-2003 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
It was on the promos on Sunday night here.

Yes, it's from 28 Days.

Matt

08-27-2003 at 01:20 PM
Schik
This one might be too tough, so I'll give a larger chunk:

Person 1: What a dangerous precedent. What if there more heroes like him? What if courage and imagination became everyday mortal qualities? What will become of us?
Person 2: We would no longer be needed. But, for the moment, there is sufficient cowardice, sloth and mendacity down there on Earth to last forever.

08-27-2003 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Schik wrote:
This one might be too tough, so I'll give a larger chunk:

Person 1: What a dangerous precedent. What if there more heroes like him? What if courage and imagination became everyday mortal qualities? What will become of us?
Person 2: We would no longer be needed. But, for the moment, there is sufficient cowardice, sloth and mendacity down there on Earth to last forever.
Is that from the Fountainhead? It sounds like the sort of weirdly unrealistic dialogue Ayn Rand would have the bad guys say.

-Erik

08-27-2003 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
And for some reason I want to say one of the Superman movies, but I don't think that fits unless it's one I haven't seen.

Game on,

08-27-2003 at 07:16 PM
Schik
Nope, you're both wrong, so here's a hint:
The actors in that dialog are
Click here to view the secret text

And Erik - I've wanted to pick a really old movie or two, but I figured nobody would ever get the quotes, so I've stuck with more recent movies (at least made in my lifetime). Maybe I'll try one of my older ones next...

08-27-2003 at 07:20 PM
Oneiromancer
Your little hint intrigued me enough to go try to find that out using IMDB. It turns out I have never seen that movie, although people have told me that I should. Kind of cool that they are in that movie...I had no idea.

Game on,

08-27-2003 at 09:25 PM
Schik
Okay, everyone gives up, it was Clash of the Titans.

Hmmm.... how's about

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father; prepare to die.

08-29-2003 at 09:31 PM
zex20913
Ah ha! I know this one...That quote is from The Princess Bride. I even know some actors here! Now...for a quote....hmm...

I ran for three years, five months, and two days. When I was hungry, I ate. When I was tired, I slept.

08-29-2003 at 09:39 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Schik wrote:
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father; prepare to die.
Easy! "The Princess Bride"

My most often-quoted line from that movie: "You'd like to think that!" I use it on my girlfriend with the same nasally voice after she asserts something.

EDIT: Zex typed his message at the same time as me, but he posted first, so I take back my quote.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 08-29-2003 at 09:44 PM]

08-29-2003 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Okay, I was posting my answer to The Princess Bride at the same time as everyone else, but while trying to find a quote I got called away and so missed the race. But this new one is Forrest Gump.

My quote is an easy one (so I won't feel guilty on vacation): Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Game on,

08-29-2003 at 09:53 PM
Mattcrampy
It's Star Wars, but I don't think it's New Hope.

So then it'd be Return of the Jedi.

Am I right?

08-29-2003 at 10:27 PM
Page 4 of 13
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Movie quote "tag"
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No