Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Jumping Snake Variants (new versions of the jumping snake puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
IP: Logged

File: Grid.PNG (6.1 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Jumping Snake Variants (+3)  
This topic is for anyone who wants to post puzzles that are like jumping snake puzzles, but with diffrent rules. If you post a puzzle, make sure you say which set of rules you are using. If people post variants, I'll try to make a list of all new rulesets on this top post, so additional puzzles with the same rules can just name the rules.

Variants List:

Open Snakes (aka Snakes on an Infinite Plane):
RULES:
Click here to view the secret text

Goalsquares:
RULES: The rules for goalsquares puzzles are the same as for the original, but you only have to pass over the blue highlighted squares, not over every square on the board. This allows for placing inescapable dead ends and other deathtraps, giving more of an 'action' feel.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 08-22-2006 02:51 AM]
08-20-2006 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
icon Re: Jumping Snake Variants (0)  
Open Snake Puzzle #1 (see rules above, secreted for easy page load)

08-20-2006 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ostegolectr1c
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 116

File: Ostego.PNG (12.7 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
icon Re: Jumping Snake Variants (+1)  
It's right, i think.

Edit: Fixed what zexx pointed.

[Last edited by Ostegolectr1c at 08-21-2006 01:00 AM]
08-21-2006 at 12:48 AM
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: Jumping Snake Variants (+2)  
It's essentially right.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 08-21-2006 12:56 AM : secreted]
08-21-2006 at 12:55 AM
Beef Row
Congrats on the quick solve! Since it was sort of a team effort I gave you each a mod point. I'll try to work up another puzzle later tonight, and I hope others post their own puzzles too.
I've attached a simple grid for laying out puzzles to the top post.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 08-21-2006 01:14 AM]
08-21-2006 at 01:13 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Jumping Snake Variants (+1)  
Making that grid a .jpg or preferrably .png rather than .bmp would probably be a good idea.

08-21-2006 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Making that grid a .jpg or preferrably .png rather than .bmp would probably be a good idea.

Oops! I'd already converted everything else to .png, but I missed the grid. I'll fix it now.

08-21-2006 at 01:46 AM
Beef Row
Open Snakes Puzzle #2(secret for convenient browsing):

I'm getting the feeling these are inherently easier than the original ruleset, since the consequences of most mistakes are more immediate, and so there's less chasing along unsuccessful paths. I think the puzzle potential may be improved by including unjumpable walls after all, but on a much more infrequent basis than the original. My next puzzle will try this.

08-21-2006 at 01:57 AM
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296

File: OpenSnakes2_solve.png (49.2 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
It took me four trys to get this puzzle. I don't know if it's harder or easier than "classic" jumping snake puzzles (AKA Solid Snake puzzles), but they do behave differently enough to be a different flavor of fun. I thought it was going to be a straight-up knock-off of Richochet robot, but the solidness of the body makes for some emergent maze forms.

Dang, I almost had an idea for another emergent maze puzzle game, but it was just Jumping Snakes with a different theme :P
08-21-2006 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Sergenth wrote:
It took me four trys to get this puzzle. I don't know if it's harder or easier than "classic" jumping snake puzzles (AKA Solid Snake puzzles), but they do behave differently enough to be a different flavor of fun. I thought it was going to be a straight-up knock-off of Richochet robot, but the solidness of the body makes for some emergent maze forms.

Dang, I almost had an idea for another emergent maze puzzle game, but it was just Jumping Snakes with a different theme :P

One thing these DO have in common with the original... the changing terrain makes it hard to check. Your solution diverged from mine VERY early (your second jump was a bump for me), unlike the solution Osteo posted to the first one, which matched mine move for move. I can't see anything wrong with your solution though, so have some points!

I just made one I think is quite nice, and now I'm not so sure these are any easier, they just call for very diffrent design.

If someone would hack up a version of the snakes program for this puzzle type, I'd be very grateful, hand drawing and checking is hard to be sure of, as everyone discovered before.

08-21-2006 at 05:58 AM
Beef Row
Open Snakes #3: F-Blocks

I'm rather proud of this one, I had fun building it out of a single element and you're more certain to interact with the whole maze. After this I'm going to cut down on how many I make, since my boyfriend is getting rather impatient with me spending so much time on these.

08-21-2006 at 06:06 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501

File: snake3.jpg (50.9 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Hmm, that wasn't too hard. As for a program, I could probably construct something quick and ugly, but there's work... laziness... Dwarf Fortress... Maybe in a few days.

08-21-2006 at 06:32 AM
Beef Row
Maurog wrote:
Hmm, that wasn't too hard. As for a program, I could probably construct something quick and ugly, but there's work... laziness... Dwarf Fortress... Maybe in a few days.

Well, that one was easy to confirm, since it matched mine. No rush on the program of course. Especially if you're busy with a good cause like ruling dwarves with an iron fist ;-)

08-21-2006 at 03:24 PM
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
This isn't too much of a variant, actually -- It can be emulated by the original Jumping Snakes rules, just with goal squares instead of filling everything.

Example, from the original puzzle:

I'm pretty sure it plays like intended, but I may be too hasty.

(Aaand I forgot to right click, but you know where to put the head, right?)
08-21-2006 at 09:38 PM
Beef Row

File: emulationsk4(solution).PNG (7.8 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
Niccus wrote:
This isn't too much of a variant, actually -- It can be emulated by the original Jumping Snakes rules, just with goal squares instead of filling everything.

I really like the design of this puzzle, and I think just using the goal squares changes the feel greatly, since it allows the placement of deathtraps, and brings a "If I can just survive to tag that last square" mindset.

I've been trying for a while and this thing has me stumped, so its either brilliant or bugged ;-). And even if its bugged, the concept is excellent. I'll add Goalsquares to the possible variants, and keep trying this one.

EDIT: Solution attached! As usual, a post saying you're stuck gets your mind off the puzzle JUST long enough that you get that OH! moment right as you come back. Excellent puzzle, Niccus!

[Last edited by Beef Row at 08-22-2006 02:56 AM]
08-22-2006 at 02:46 AM
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
I'm surprised you were stuck on it at all... I mean, you made that puzzle yourself, however indirectly.
08-23-2006 at 12:04 AM
Beef Row
Niccus wrote:
I'm surprised you were stuck on it at all... I mean, you made that puzzle yourself, however indirectly.

Well, I've found snake puzzles in general hard. Alot of fun, but hard. So I'm not really suprised I had some trouble. ;-) Oh, and sorry about the arena. I'm glad I knocked someone out of the game, but feel kind of bad it was you.

08-23-2006 at 07:07 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Jumping Snake Variants (new versions of the jumping snake puzzles)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com