Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : An ill-gotten number 1?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
IP: Logged
icon An ill-gotten number 1? (+1)  
I was playing the hold 'Channel One Suite' and upon completion of 'The Dungeon' 1N I am fairly certain that I received a first place tie message and on checking found that Syntax had beaten me to it. However on checking the scores for that level after the spider had verified them all it appears that I moved above Syntax to claim the number one spot despite the fact that his demo was submitted first.

Either this is some sort of spider bug or I'm starting to go senile!

08-20-2006 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: An ill-gotten number 1? (0)  
Actually, you beat me to it :)

I recall Remlin having a 136 move demo but it was invalid (lots of moving around in the original passage so corrupt demo (maybe from the beta ?)). You tied, but then his demo was rejected by the spider and was wiped. I then came along and matched yours hence the current standings.

Nicely done - I doubt very much it's beatable although I've managed to save plenty of moves, but the scripted doors just don't allow "moves in hand" to be an advantage.
08-20-2006 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Remlin
Rank Points: 181
The 136 move demo that I have stored on my computer plays just fine. I have two, in fact. 1N seemed like an easily optimizable room so I spent a couple of tries. Any ideas what's going on? I want my number one back.
08-20-2006 at 08:54 PM
Syntax

File: COS The Dungeon 1N Victory.demo (977 bytes)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: An ill-gotten number 1? (+1)  
Remlin wrote:
The 136 move demo that I have stored on my computer plays just fine. I have two, in fact. 1N seemed like an easily optimizable room so I spent a couple of tries. Any ideas what's going on? I want my number one back.
Right... you definitely did have the first 136 move demo (I attempted to watch it and I can tell you're moving correctly but the first door is closed when you first attempt to pass it). What version of DROD are you using? I would suggest a .14 change means the mimic acts differently now (possibly striking the orb on turn #1 whereas with the latest patch, the door starts closed). I've attached the file in case there's a more serious bug, but I reckon it's a versioning issue. This demo does *not* play correctly under .14.
08-20-2006 at 09:21 PM
Remlin
Syntax wrote:What version of DROD are you using?
How would I tell?
08-20-2006 at 09:27 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It will say on the top-right corner of the screen, above the Carvel connection thingy.

If it doesn't say, you've got a very old version.

08-20-2006 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Oh I see, I never noticed that there before. I'm running version .12, so I guess that's the problem.

The spider doesn't check for valid demo-hood unless it's specifically requested? I guess what we need now is someone to go spider-click every one of my old demos. Then I will SEND A TEAM OF PIRATE ASSASSINS TO FIND YOU IN THE NIGHT!!! YEARGH!
08-20-2006 at 09:49 PM
eytanz
No, the spider checks every uploaded demo when uploaded. But for just-uploaded demos, it allows them to appear in the highscore list first, then removes them if bad, which is what happened to your demo.

08-20-2006 at 09:51 PM
Syntax
Remlin wrote:
The spider doesn't check for valid demo-hood unless it's specifically requested?
The spider checks all demos on upload. It uses a queuing system though so it can take a while for it to get verified depending on what else is going on. Under "My Scores" tab you should see how many demos are pending check. If "Other people's demos" is high, you may have to wait a while :)

Back on topic, why don't you upgrade? This hold in particular depends exclusively on scripting so you may well find rooms that play differently from intended, or some that are actually impossible in your version. If you're running a Mac, I understand that you can't get the latest patch, but I'm pretty sure it goes as high as .13

[EDIT]

Typo

[Last edited by Syntax at 08-20-2006 09:54 PM]
08-20-2006 at 09:53 PM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
If he's using .12, he's not on Mac. We never got .12, we had a jump from .11 to .13 (and still don't have .14, though hopefully we'll get .15...)

08-21-2006 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Syntax wrote:
Remlin wrote:
The spider doesn't check for valid demo-hood unless it's specifically requested?
The spider checks all demos on upload. It uses a queuing system though so it can take a while for it to get verified depending on what else is going on. Under "My Scores" tab you should see how many demos are pending check. If "Other people's demos" is high, you may have to wait a while :)

Back on topic, why don't you upgrade? This hold in particular depends exclusively on scripting so you may well find rooms that play differently from intended, or some that are actually impossible in your version. If you're running a Mac, I understand that you can't get the latest patch, but I'm pretty sure it goes as high as .13

[EDIT]

Typo

because maybe he's using the demo version and doesn't know/can't be bothered doing it?
08-21-2006 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
I have .14 now. Until this topic I didn't know I had an old version. I seem to remember some time ago the scrolling text at the DROD start-up screen yelling at me that there's been a patch and I should go upgrade, and I did. I've never seen that since, so I assumed I was on the latest version.
08-21-2006 at 04:38 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Remlin wrote:
I have .14 now. Until this topic I didn't know I had an old version. I seem to remember some time ago the scrolling text at the DROD start-up screen yelling at me that there's been a patch and I should go upgrade, and I did. I've never seen that since, so I assumed I was on the latest version.

.14.1 is the latest (that .1 being a voice bugfix for imported holds)
08-21-2006 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Yeah, but the original .14 is unavailable so since Remlin upgraded today it's pretty certain he has the right one.

.14 is actually pretty old, there's a newer patch that's in beta, it's pretty stable but there are intermittent problems with it (says a person who had a data file corruption yesterday nearly destory all his progress). You can find a thread about it soemwhere near the top of the Bugs forum if you want to decide if it's worth installing now or not.

[Last edited by eytanz at 08-21-2006 05:04 AM]
08-21-2006 at 05:03 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : An ill-gotten number 1?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com