Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Creature Type - Dungeon Monarchs
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Creature Type - Dungeon Monarchs (0)  
I'd like to request a new type of monster, as opposed to a new monster.

A Dungeon Monarch is a monster that can only appear once on a level, and has both powers greater than normal monsters and better intelligence. For example, the roach-grandmother someone suggested would be a Dungeon Monarch, but it can also plan which exit would give it the best chance of success.

An alternative is to allow more than one Dungeon Monarch in a level, but only one in a room, to allow multi-room chases ala Level 25.

Monarchs would not be scripted, but will nevertheless be able to work out when it's time to run. They are not affected by brains, being highly intelligent themselves.

This is intentionally vague - Monarchs come in many different types (like boss monsters, really) so defining what they can do is restrictive. It's more like a template.

On that note, let me define some more Monarchs -

Goblin King - This Monarch goblin won't attack, but will direct goblins (and only goblins) as if there was a brain in the room. He will attack, aiming to get behind you rather than avoiding your sword, if there are no more goblins in the room.

Python - This Monarch snake grows every 30 turns. It cannot move diagonally. It will, however, attempt to block off exits with its body to ensure its prey cannot escape.

Demon - This Monarch wraithwing will, in addition to usual wraithwing behaviour, circle around Beethro until Beethro is facing away from it.

Matt

07-31-2003 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Creature Type - Dungeon Monarchs (0)  
Wow. These sound like neat ideas...for a real, pay for this thing, hold. I'm not sure if I would want fan-made levels to be able to use these abilities, because they (the montsers) would soon lose something. I just think an idea like this should be reserved for the creators of the game, not mere level creators.

07-31-2003 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The thing is, real, pay for this thing, holds have programmed bosses, like the Neather.

And I'm jealous.

Matt

07-31-2003 at 05:31 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I agree with both sides of this argument--being able to place some special, "one of a kind" monster is pretty cool, but ones with very special programming needs, like the 'Neather, shouldn't be available to the general public. Here's an idea I had that might be the best of both worlds.

You can call them Dungeon Monarchs if you want, but they are basically Dopplegangers (shapeshifters). In their main form, they are like a brained goblin. (Okay, so this is an exception to that rule of feature requests, but did the 'Neather act any differently when there was a brain in the room?) However, when they kill another creature, they gain the abilities of that creature, as follows:

Killing roaches, goblins, or serpents does not give them anything, and neither does killing the same creature more than once.
If they kill a roach queen, they can produce roaches.
If they kill a wraithwing, they can fly over pits.
If they kill a spider, they become invisible on colored squares.
If they kill a tar baby, they can walk on tar.
If they kill a brain, they gain the brain's psychic abilities and can control creatures even if all the other brains are killed. (I suppose if they are allowed to kill tar mothers, then they also act as a tar mother even if all other tar mothers have been killed).
Finally, if they kill one of Beethro's mimics, I can think of two options: it either kills Beethro instantly also (might be too brutal) or it gains a sword of its own (not sure if it is easily programmable or if it would make the creature too hard--maybe the sword is weak and is destroyed if Beethro hits it). Depending on what other creatures are implemented in future releases, this creature can get their abilities too (if appropriate).

The AI of the creature is to kill as many unique creatures as possible, to gain as many abilities as possible, and then to go after Beethro. If Beethro opens up a part of the level that was closed off before, and a new creature type is available, they will go for that before Beethro.

So, this creature is kind of the best of both worlds--it uses (mostly) pre-existing AI, but with the right combination of "feeder" creatures it can be a real powerhouse. And you can have different "boss" types with different "feeder" creatures, especially depending on the other new creatures that will be added in a future release.

I think it sounds pretty cool. It would probably have a neat name, like "The Devourer" or "The Assimilator" or something like that. A creature that is one-of-a-kind, to be feared!

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 08-22-2003 at 01:47 AM GMT: Changed formatting to make it easier to read]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-21-2003 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I dig it. The only thing would be what would override what. Or actually, you make it sound like there is a benefit for a monster destroyed instead of actual movement logic. One question though.

Would it be able to destroy tar if it had not assimilated a tar baby?

Actually, one more question: Can it kill many monsters, or only one of each type?

Also, to make it a tad easier to kill, I would like to see snakes be able to eat it. They have to get that big somehow (ref: Dugan's L12)

If the suggestion doesn't pan, whatever. I think it'd still be cool. The monster sounds great, as long as logic is not copied and only a benefit is given.

[Edited by zex20913 on 08-22-2003 at 12:54 AM GMT: second Q.]

08-22-2003 at 12:52 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Re: Creature Type - Dungeon Monarchs (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
I dig it. The only thing would be what would override what. Or actually, you make it sound like there is a benefit for a monster destroyed instead of actual movement logic. One question though.

Yes, it always moves like a brained goblin, it just sometimes get extra benefits and doesn't always have Beethro as a target. I think this means that it should go after creatures like a roach, because they don't have swords...it's like goblins going for Beethro's back.

Would it be able to destroy tar if it had not assimilated a tar baby?

Only if the creature it assimilates can also destroy tar, so basically, not with the current creatures, unless when it kills a mimic it gets a sword. Also, when it eats a tar baby it actually walks on tar, and doesn't destroy it. Unless that is just too powerful, in which case eating a tar baby does nothing.

Actually, one more question: Can it kill many monsters, or only one of each type?

I think I said that already...it will only really try to kill one monster of each type of ability it can gain. That would be something to discuss, whether or not it can just eat other monsters if it wants to. But since it is smart, it would figure the more monsters around, the more things to kill Beethro.

Also, to make it a tad easier to kill, I would like to see snakes be able to eat it. They have to get that big somehow (ref: Dugan's L12)

No, that could be interesting...serpents are the nemesis of this creature. 'Cause really there's no way it's going to eat the serpent, it would be the other way around.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-22-2003 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Creature Type - Dungeon Monarchs
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com