Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Page 4 of 32
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
All I can say is..
.. this is totally awesome :D Hurry up next 2 hour block, I want to see my snake move again.. :D

Sounds like you've put in a lot of work on this Erik, and its definitely worth it. Already.
08-13-2006 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
If you're using firefox, you may find the Image Zoom extension useful for viewing the snake pits. It lets you scale any image up or down.

Right-clicking an image gives you a context menu, allowing you to chose a specific zoom factor, or you can simply hold the right mouse button and use the scroll wheel on the mouse to zoom the image in real time.
08-13-2006 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I can already tell what my first feature request is going to be: the ability to click on a snake (or otherwise select one) and determine its number. Priority calculations are going to be fairly relevant here, and while I can deduce which snake is which by counting the coordinates, it's not easy. I have to count from my known coordinates to determine the coordinates of the target snake, and then scan through the list of live snakes to determine who it might be.

(I realize that this is not all that easy a feature to provide, though, since each image is just presented as an image. Still, you can't fault a guy for asking. Well, I guess you can...)

Josh

08-13-2006 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
I know I am think ahead but what happens if you go off screen to the right? My image just cuts off with out walls does it go to another image?

08-13-2006 at 03:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death: First Snakepit is Online (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Your goal in this first snakepit will be to reach the rightmost side. As soon as everyone has either reached that side or died, I'll start survivors in the next snakepit. We may finish the snakepit a little early if it is clear which players will go on to the next snakepit. This first snakepit has two purposes, to weed out nonparticipants and to give everyone a little practice. It is possible to die in this snakepit, but if you pay attention and understand the rules, you'll find that survival is completely within your control.

08-13-2006 at 04:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
jbluestein wrote:
I can already tell what my first feature request is going to be: the ability to click on a snake (or otherwise select one) and determine its number. Priority calculations are going to be fairly relevant here, and while I can deduce which snake is which by counting the coordinates, it's not easy. I have to count from my known coordinates to determine the coordinates of the target snake, and then scan through the list of live snakes to determine who it might be.

(I realize that this is not all that easy a feature to provide, though, since each image is just presented as an image. Still, you can't fault a guy for asking. Well, I guess you can...)

Josh

You realise that you can select a snake from its dropdown box, and there will be a square around the head of that snake.

Also, is it ok if we put commands like Bx10? or atleast insert commas?
08-13-2006 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+2)  
jbluestein wrote:
I can already tell what my first feature request is going to be: the ability to click on a snake (or otherwise select one) and determine its number.
Here you go:

http://dooglus.rincevent.net/snakes/

Hover the mouse pointer over a snake's head to see his name and number.

I hope it's OK to make a copy of the snakepit image like this. My page makes it clear that the graphics are owned by Caravel Games.

[Last edited by Chris at 08-13-2006 05:59 AM]
08-13-2006 at 04:46 AM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
Question...

Is there any way to get an indicator on the Snakes! page that tells how long before the next turn?

08-13-2006 at 06:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chris
Erik was just saying that caravelnet's "time until" function is broken. The turns happen every time it's an even o'clock in London, and odd o'clock in New York, and so on.

[Last edited by Chris at 08-13-2006 10:42 AM : I kan't get used to spelling Erik's name korrektly.]
08-13-2006 at 06:41 AM
Chris
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+3)  
jbluestein wrote:
[...] the ability to click on a snake (or otherwise select one) and determine its number
These pages offer the feature of identifying each snake when you point at it with the mouse, in 3 different sizes:

Small, Medium, and Large
08-13-2006 at 06:57 AM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
So snakes prefer moving forward, then clockwise and then counter-clockwise. Does that mean that a snake will move forward all the time until it "bumbs" an obstacle??

[Last edited by Timo006 at 08-18-2006 06:06 AM]
08-13-2006 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
Indeed. There's no way to change direction without your way being blocked.
08-13-2006 at 09:32 AM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
EDIT: Question:when a snake is positioned like:
, -x-----
, - -----
, //////-
, -;////-
, -------
(-:wall, /:snake, ;:Head)

Do you, when you are going to x, need to command BJ or only J?

[Last edited by Timo006 at 08-18-2006 06:06 AM]
08-13-2006 at 09:34 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Timo006 wrote:
EDIT: Question:when a snake is positioned like:
, -x-----
, - -----
, //////-
, -;////-
, -------
(-:wall, /:snake, ;:Head)

Do you, when you are going to x, need to command BJ or only J?

That should only be J. The rules say a command is only taken from the queue if you are blocked.

08-13-2006 at 10:19 AM
jamesdenem
Rank Points: 203
Actually, both would probably work, since B will make if follow the set order of moves, and it will jump there on its own. The J will also do this. But say the setup was this:

-/ -----
-///////
--x ----
-///////
--;/////
--------
-=wall,/=snake,;=snake head

This case is where you would use the BJ so your snake would not die.

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
08-13-2006 at 10:23 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
techant wrote:
I know I am think ahead but what happens if you go off screen to the right? My image just cuts off with out walls does it go to another image?
To be clear: you want to get your snake over to that right side. That will allow you continue on to the second snakepit. The portion of text that silver quoted explains it a little better.

-Erik

08-13-2006 at 10:23 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
jamesdenem wrote:
Actually, both would probably work, since B will make if follow the set order of moves, and it will jump there on its own. The J will also do this. But say the setup was this:
-/ -----
-///////
--x ----
-///////
--;/////
--------
-=wall,/=snake,;=snake head

This case is where you would use the BJ so your snake would not die.
Just to check that I've understood, you could also use JJ or wait until the snake is at 'x' and then just use J. Right?
08-13-2006 at 10:34 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794

File: Tiles.psd (59.9 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
I'm releasing the tiles used for Snakes! into the public domain. This will help Chris and others use them if they want. Tiles are attached in photoshop format. (You can read it in the Gimp, which is free.) The generated images from the game are released into public domain.

-Erik

08-13-2006 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ostegolectr1c
Rank Points: 116
A question:
Here is a situation:
WW
EW
SW
B
SW
EW
EW
WW
Where E - empty square, W - wall, S - snake head, B - box.
Next turn the top snake jumps and it jumps right.And the second snake bumps. I was wondering will the first snake survive (considering it can jump over boxes, and not over snake heads)and will it land on the 1st empty square below the 2nd snake or the second snake will aready have it occupied and on the 2nd empty square ? Help me out of confusion. Thanks.

08-13-2006 at 04:49 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Are you sure my moves are going into the snake system? I'm pretty sure that Snake #33 is unresponsive.
08-13-2006 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
coppro wrote:
Are you sure my moves are going into the snake system? I'm pretty sure that Snake #33 is unresponsive.

there have been no legal moves to make yet except "bump" (and that only because you've decided to pre-play your jump into the playing field and thus preceded it with enough bumps to put the jump in at the right time)
remember the brown wall is unjumpable.

[Last edited by silver at 08-13-2006 05:35 PM]
08-13-2006 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
So, our current goal is to get to the edge of the screen without dieing? If so, Niccus, lets just ignore each other and get there.
08-13-2006 at 05:08 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Ostegolectr1c wrote:
A question:
Here is a situation:
WW
EW
SW
B
SW
EW
EW
WW
Next turn the top snake jumps and it jumps right.And the second snake bumps. I was wondering will the first snake survive (considering it can jump over boxes, and not over snake heads)and will it land on the 1st empty square below the 2nd snake or the second snake will aready have it occupied and on the 2nd empty square ? Help me out of confusion. Thanks.
Here's how I understand the rules: The top snake moves first, and it wants to jump. It can't jump the wall in front of it, or the snake head to its right, but there's an empty square to its left, so it makes the 1-move jump into that square.

08-13-2006 at 05:09 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ezlo wrote:
So, our current goal is to get to the edge of the screen without dieing? If so, Niccus, lets just ignore each other and get there.

I'm pretty sure that this arena is designed so you cannot actually prevent the other snake from leaving, but you can't ignore each other completely since the snakes paths must cross.

08-13-2006 at 05:10 PM
silver
as I write this (1 hour into the 8th turn), we're 9 hours from snakes entering the pit, and another 12 hours before our first in-pit actions are processed, representing the beginning of actual interaction in the same.

so, um, fun?

after the contest, I would love to see a version of this where there's like 5-minute turns. then it couldn't be played world-wide, but you could have several runs a day to make up for that, or run it simultaneously with a 2-hour-turn game.

though I recognize the importance of the contest having a 24-hour lead period for people to prove they have some clue before entering the "big arena", I wouldn't mind if post-contest games had less lead-up before play, either :)

[Last edited by silver at 08-13-2006 05:22 PM]
08-13-2006 at 05:12 PM
eytanz
Ostegolectr1c wrote:
A question:
Here is a situation:
WW
EW
SW
B
SW
EW
EW
WW

Assuming the snakes are both facing the left side of the screen, the 1st serpent will end up at the square above it (i.e. a left turn), and the 2nd serpent will end up turning right.

08-13-2006 at 05:13 PM
McFrugal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
It is possible for a snake to be killed in the pair area. It requires some specific decisions by the two players involved... It's fairly easy to avoid once you see it, though.
08-13-2006 at 06:26 PM
eytanz
silver wrote:
as I write this (1 hour into the 8th turn), we're 9 hours from snakes entering the pit, and another 12 hours before our first in-pit actions are processed, representing the beginning of actual interaction in the same.

so, um, fun?

after the contest, I would love to see a version of this where there's like 5-minute turns. then it couldn't be played world-wide, but you could have several runs a day to make up for that, or run it simultaneously with a 2-hour-turn game.

though I recognize the importance of the contest having a 24-hour lead period for people to prove they have some clue before entering the "big arena", I wouldn't mind if post-contest games had less lead-up before play, either :)

The problem here is the fact that this is a global game with people playing all over the world. If the game was restricted to one time zone (or several adjacent ones), it'd be easy to have, say, 1-hour moves or even 30-minute moves and downtime at night, so people can get a sense of progress without it being unfair. But on a global scale, doing that will disfavor people elsewhere in the world who will not be able to see the game in its active phases.

Of course, a fast game (5 minute moves or less) would probably be fun, but inappropriate for a contest.

I do think the "pair chambers" are overlong - I'd have liked it if they just contained enough to test whether a person is actively sending commands or not, rather than being something people need to play in for 4 days or so before they leave.

08-13-2006 at 06:38 PM
silver
eytanz wrote:
silver wrote:
after the contest, ... then it couldn't be played world-wide, but ...

though I recognize the importance of the contest having a 24-hour lead period ... post-contest games ...

The problem here is the fact that this is a global game with people playing all over the world.

I think I expressed understanding of that and don't generally like being lectured about what I just said. perhaps a moderator should remove these two posts as together they come to naught.

[Last edited by silver at 08-13-2006 07:19 PM]
08-13-2006 at 06:44 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
So all that's visible for now is the pairing chambers, right?

08-13-2006 at 08:44 PM
Page 4 of 32
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com